Auburn Ambulance for the Hollywood elite???

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Paul Christ

I was reading a web page about the history of vehicles used by "Receiving Hospitals" in Los Angeles, when I came across the unidentified photo below. The page states that "some of the brands used over the years were the Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Pierce Arrow, Premier, and Studebaker, and in later years, the Fire Department had a Cadillac." I think the beautiful ambulance pictured below is based on a mid 1930's Auburn, but I just can't believe that such an automobile would be built on an Auburn! Since this was used in Hollywood, however, I guess that anything is possible. Is this really what I think it is...?

G-6_Hollywood_receiving.jpg

Guest DeSoto Frank

Auburn - Cord - Duesenberg (and other makers ) would supply "cowl & chassis" models, as well as complete vehicles....

In the depths of the Depression, I'm sure A-C-D would sell whatever they could to whomever would buy it, in whatever form.

There was a truck manufacturer down in Tennesee - Corbin, I think - that purchased the '32-'34 Auburn body dies from A-C-D, and used them to make the "front clips" for Corbin trucks...

Imagine seeing a school-bus with 20" Budd wheels and an "Auburn" front clip !

I am curious as to which company built that Ambulance body...

Neat photo - thanks for sharing !

De Soto Frank

Guest SteveL200

We from the Professional Car Society had identified the body on these Auburns as having been built by Crown, the same company better known in the LA area for school busses and fire trucks. Apparently, they would build a lot of other bodies as well.

And just so you all know, the ambulances operated for the Receiving Hospital were "public" ambulances, generally used for service for the poor, drunk, or infectious (tuberculosis, etc.). The Hollywood "elite" would have called for a private ambulance!

One of the Auburn ambulances is prominently featured in a circa 1940 Hollywood movie. I've seen the film on TCM a couple of times...(sorry, thought I made a note of the film's name, but don't have it at hand if I did). Its one of those mad-cap comedies of the era and has quite a few Los Angeles street scenes in it.

A '36 Auburn would be an "852", a '35 would be an "851". Other than the numeric identification on the grille, the two years were indistinguishable. Year-end '35 leftovers were updated to '36's by changeing those numbers!
Thanks for that clarification.....I often wondered about the numbers.

Guest Paul Christ

Looking at the ambulance photo above, I wondered about the device that is mounted behind the center of the front bumper. Eventually, I realized that it must be a siren. I found that an identical siren is still being sold by B&M Sirens in Los Angeles. Interesting.

560_S8B_06.jpg

Guest DeSoto Frank

I'm glad to hear that "fan-type" sirens are still around...

Electronic sirens are just annoying... a local VFD has a "synthetic siren" on top their firehouse, and it just sounds "wrong" !