Sheet metal templates

Guest Ravensmiles

Guest Ravensmiles

I could really use some help with something you guys may consider very basic.

I'm passingly familiar with making paper templates for flat two dimentional shapes like patch panels but I need to make templates for a shop to make replacement floor pans for my 40 olds. How would you represent bead rolls and 90 degree bends so the a professional trying to make the part knows what they are trying to replicate?

Is it possible to make an accurate template without removing the original pans from the car or is it better to cut them out and then make the pattern?

As an architectural draftsman, I would draw a profile of the part. That is to say, a drawing of a cross section of the part as if you had cut through it. That way, you can represent the exact curves and bumps. That and a lot of photos should help someone fabricate the pan. Wish I was near enough to help more. John

Guest Ravensmiles

Phil, John Thank you. I'm going to check out that forum and see if I can learn something and making a profile of the pan is a great idea. I just want to give the fabricators exactly what they need without making the job hard for them.

Guest Ravensmiles

Hi Restorer32, That would be the ideal solution. unfortunatley it's wasn't an option.

It was the shop that decided the best option was either to cut the original floor pans and mail them or to use templates. We decided that the condition of the floors prohibited them traveling in the mail, they are very fragile.

Ravensmiles,

I've has success using sheets of thin cardboard. For the 90 degree bits you score a line and then fold. By 'bead rolls' do you mean the stiffening swages? I draw these by pushing gentle on the cardboard to get the outline of the swage (bead roll).

Art