Willys Knight - Stephens connection?

Guest abh3usn

Guest abh3usn

I was looking through the Willys-Overland-Knight Registry, and noticed the Stephens Made by Moline Plow Co. in Freeport, Ill. from 1916-1924. What is the connection between the Willys and Stephens ? :confused:

I believe that the sleeve valve engine would be the most prominent connection.But it is not,looks like a financial interest. Willys was a great salesman as evidenced by his many accomplishments. But he also fought financial problems after getting his ventures up and running. Several times he lost control to outside interests. But he is an outstanding automotive icon none the less. Bob

Edited by Seldenguy
correction (see edit history)

Guest abh3usn

Thanks Bob, that sounds right. My grandfather owned a '28 Whippett 98 two door. It was his first car. I've got several pictures of it. He allways said it was a great car and was very fast for the time. -Steve

Guest WKnighter

Willys Overland owned 82% of the Moline Plow Works by 1921. Stephens Motor Works was a division of Moline Plow Works. Sleeve valve engines were never used in the Stephens automobiles.

Guest DaveCorbin

The property was purchased by International Harvester about 1923 and was part of the Farmall tractor plant. My uncle Kenneth Corbin and I both worked there at different times. I was facilities engineering manager in early 1978 and have in my personal archives a picture of the Stephens buildings.

Regards, Dave Corbin