16V thermostat housing reproduction?

Todd Nelson

I'm thinking about reproducing a limited # of 16V thermostat housings (4425621). This is the cover only, the part that the top radiator hose attaches to, and not the entire housing assembly. I need one for my car due to the severe corrosion on the part. Although Arizona parts lists having 5 of them in their parts catalog, they in reality do not have any available for sale.

These will be made from billet aluminum on a CNC machine and while they will not be an exact reproduction of the cast aluminum original, they will actually look better than the original. They will be a direct bolt on.

Price range target will be around $50-60 dollars. LMK if you would be interested in one. Best to LMK by email as I am rarely on this forum. Like the adjustable cam pulleys I had made up for the 16V motors, this will be a one time thing and once produced, they will not be made again. Obviously not going to be a revenue maker, but just offering a high wear part part to the TC community.

Todd Nelson

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Newly (today) applied for membership and would like two. I will prepay $120.00 for them and we can adjust up or down as necessary. Put me at the bottom of the list as I am not an owner at this time and owners should take preference. Thanks. H. K. (Kingsley) Baker, 975 Oakmont Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90049-2228. Just as info, I am also a Buick Reatta Club member/enthusiast and have replicated by injection molding out of stock sun visor clips for the 2300 or so '90/'91 convertibles as well as two models of headlight assembly steel crank arms. I like the TC Club attitude - "Member Helping Members". Will hopefully be purchase a TC once I get a bit of basic knowledge about them under my belt. Please pardon the sentencing since my computer will not allow me to paragraph! I will adjust my signature shortly to reflect TC Club memership. Sending you an email like you asked!

Edited by Kingsley
Add a bit of text (see edit history)

Ok , I know better !!! I was putting the thermostat housing back on my 16 valve heard and the one of the ears broke off. But after looking at it I could see that it was cracked most of the way . So I am fortunate that it broke now . I think this housing is pot-metal and can it be welded .

Hey guys,

Todd and I have talked about these thermostat housing covers for some time now. I talked to my boss about making them(I'm a CNC machinist), but it's something they're not really interested in doing. We're VERY busy at work, and are taking on a lot of new projects/parts, many of which are very profitable for the company. So needless to say, little side projects are not going to happen anytime soon. So I'm looking into other options...

I certainly understand your position as I engage a CNC fellow only fairly frequently and he has the exact same situatiion.

Were there a large demand, say as many as 500, I could have the OE part cast overseas but realize that no one wants to make the upfront commitment nor is there that much need.

We all just have to wait. I am completely new to the TC so am not aware of the configuration of the part and presume that an aluminum fabrication would be too far out of appearance to be acceptable.

Thanks.

Kingsley

I certainly understand your position as I engage a CNC fellow only fairly frequently and he has the exact same situatiion.

Were there a large demand, say as many as 500, I could have the OE part cast overseas but realize that no one wants to make the upfront commitment nor is there that much need.

We all just have to wait. I am completely new to the TC so am not aware of the configuration of the part and presume that an aluminum fabrication would be too far out of appearance to be acceptable.

Thanks.

Kingsley

You're exactly right. The parts I make at work, we make by the THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS. So for them to stop production on those, and make me 30 thermostat housings, the company is not interested. I work for a shop that does production machining, high quantity stuff. I'm looking into a couple local job shops, that do small runs of custom parts. Those are the guys I need to talk to... I'll keep you guys informed.

Just a quick note to let you guys know I have a few of these housings in stock. Both new in the box and good condition used ones (both are factory OE housings).

Perhaps I can help those who need one now. For those of you who can wait, it sounds like Mark and Todd will be able to hook you up once they find someone to remanufacture them.

Email me for pricing and availability. I also have the gaskets that go with the housing. There are two of them....one that goes between the Masi head and the housing, and the other one that goes between the two halves of the housing.

Additionally, I have the stock (still in original packaging) 192deg thermostats as well as some OE 180degree units. The 180 degree thermostat is best when used in conjunction with the stage II performance computer and BOV kit I offer for the 16v engine.

Take Care,

Rick Diogo

rick@rdiperformance.com

visit us online at: www.rdiperformance.com

• 4 months later...

Found a CNC programmer/operator that is willing to make a small batch of these. So were making progress finally. I would like a show of hands on who's in & who's out before I commit to production. Price point should be around $60 give or take a few bucks. Need to have commitments for 20 people. Like the Fidanza pulleys, these will more than likely be a one time deal. To reiterate, these will be billet CNC made and not an exact reproduction of the cast thermostat housing.

Todd

Omnishelby@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Production has started on the housings. Absolutely last call if you want in on this. I will be sending out emails to those of you that have committed as we get closer to a finished product. Once again thanks to those that got in on this group purchase.

Todd

post-38404-143138472183_thumb.jpg

Todd,

I will take one thx

roger

Roger unfortunately all the materials have been ordered and cut and at this time we have no extra material to make more. If someone backs out (and someone probably will) you will be first in line. I'll be in touch if that happens.

Todd

Okay they are close to being done. Just waiting on the o-rings believe it or not. I need to make contact with MB91560, SCTC, & Yellowdog, ASAP. If this is you please email or PM me immediately. Everyone else I have your email addy's and I will be contacting you in the next day or two about payment. Here is a teaser pic. They are NICE!

Todd

post-38404-14313847694_thumb.jpg

16V Masi thermostat covers are done. They are far superior in both looks and strength from original. Thermostat covers have been shipped to all people that have paid for them. For those that have not yet made contact with me, please do ASAP. Should anyone need instructions for payment please contact me by PM or email.

Todd