1965 dodge coronet 318 auto - Whats going on???

i have a 1965 dodge coronet 318 auto. I just had the tranny rebuilt on it, now I am having a problem. I can start the car up and it idles but when i put it in gear and turn on the headlights it dies. I know alternator right, got it checked at autozone and it passed, so i suspect voltage regulator, get a new on and still does the same thing. the battery stays charged so the alternators doing that. or if i let it warm up to operating temp and put it in gear with no headlights, it dies, but if i can get it going, it runs like crap. im lost, any help?? also it has new wires, converted to electronic ign., cap, rotor, coil, and fresh carb rebuild and newer fuel pump and new fuel filter.

It's your electronic ignition. Is it Pertronix? If the voltage drops too low the unit cuts out. Do you have halogen headlights?

If you have a voltmeter you can test at the battery to see what voltage is being delivered. You may have a damaged cell in your battery.

I had the same problem with my old Porsche. It's a 6-volt car. If the voltage dropped below 5.2 volts the car would stumble and stop running. It happened to me in a driving rain. As soon as I put my headlights on the car stopped running. Turn the headlights off and it started right up.

Like all electronic ignitions it will quit working properly below a certain voltage...Check the supply voltage with a digital voltmeter when the system is turned on. Often you will see normal voltage when there is no load on the system because of a bad connection somewhere.