Help with fuel gauge readings

Paul Cichon

On my 1969 Electra, the fuel gauge does not read correctly and I am hoping to get some input as to if the cause might be a grounding issue at the tank, at the gauge or an issue with the sending unit. When the tank is full, the gauge reads over full and will stay at that reading until the tank is approx 1/2 full. The gauge will then slowly come down to about the 1/2 mark meaning that the tank is around 1/4 full. When I am on fumes, the gauge will read 1/4 full. During any of these readings other than full, the indicator in the gauge will at any time peg to the full side for a few seconds and then return. ANY assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul,

It sounds to me like the (in-tank) sending unit has a sticky float. Since it also reads 1/2 when it is empty, the float is bent too far down in the tank. Tweak it upwards so it reads empty when you still have a few gallons left. I would recommend trying to find a new unit, since it sounds like the float (or float arm) is sticking. I believe I have seen aftermarket units, but you will have to experiment with float height.

Good luck.

Archived