16 Valve/DOHC/5-Speed TC on TD

Too much water under the bridge for myself to log onto TurboDodge.com again but I suspect that is Dan Culkin's TC for sale. If so he has also posted the car on Turbo-Mopar.com a reputable site that I fully support. I have dealt with Dan (and his brother Pat, another Mopar nut;)) before and he is a strait shooter so to speak.

Alan

Too much water under the bridge for myself to log onto TurboDodge.com again but I suspect that is Dan Culkin's TC for sale. If so he has also posted the car on Turbo-Mopar.com a reputable site that I fully support. I have dealt with Dan (and his brother Pat, another Mopar nut;)) before and he is a strait shooter so to speak.

Alan

It is, and they are!:D

Hey Alan,

Considering my short term experience with these 16v cars. Is 90,000 mi sort of the magic over the hump number for clutch, head gasket, & timing belts.??

Thanks, Lou

It's been what, 3.5 months now Lou? Definately time for another 16v for you:cool:

Alan

Hey Alan,

You know how it goes. The check cleared for the xB so I guess I must have enough for another car:D.. Lou

p.s. you didn't answer my original question:confused: lz

Yeah, the crystal ball is out for repair so I won't be able to tell you if the car needs those items repaired/replaced:D

Alan

Seems like you guys just don't get my question. I will explain... The 2.2 almost like clockwork seems to errode the head gasket in the back corner needing replacement at about 90,000 miles... The timing belt is suggested to be changed at 90,000 mi but under normal use is usually good for 110 mi. With age and lack of use we don't like to exceed 90,000 mi.. I am completely unfamiliar with the normal clutch life of these installations. The normal life expectancy for a clutch seems to be 90.000 mi., to 100,000 mi.. Is that also true in this installation. Alan told me once, these flywheels are very heavy and under normal use a heavy inertia force extends clutch life.

~ ~ NOW ~ ~ My questions are: Does the head gasket on the 16v have the same back corner hole corrosion/erosion problem. Is the life expectancy of this clutch 90,000 miles, or is it higher ... The timing belt expectancy the same or less because of the dual cams.. If you don't know, that's OK; but often with the kind of experience you guys have, you develop this kind of inside sort of more/ better than normal knowledge...

Thanks, Lou

Well now, at least I can guess at an answer now that I get the question. Yes, the clutch in the 5spd TC is a much heavier duty unit, not only is it larger but it has 1900lbs of clamping force right from the factory. Some vendors for FWD Dodges build their performance clutches to about those specs.

Yes the head gasket still has that little thin area where the coolant jacket is a bit close on the #1 cylinder. Same kinda failure rate I would expect however, the head bolts are far superior to the 8V bolts and I suspect they would hold thier clamp much better as well.

A couple years ago the timing belts were hens teeth, Xtremepickup found a large stash of them through a vendor at a damn good price so sourcing one for the change should not be an issue.

So if you are looking forf a reason *not* to buy it Lou, I can't really give you one although it is an 89 and not the clearly superior 90:D

Marvin, if you want increased power and milage from your TC, have a good exhaust and a free flowing intake installed. Those are just about the only ways to free up milage and power (without going inside the motor that is) the performance 'chip' increases boost and although your off boost mileage may improve, you will spend much more time with a heavy right foot exploring your new found power. That kills any mileage gains:o

Alan

as a side note, has anybody read in the thread where a member says that the color is Black Cherry and that Royal Cabernet is not the color because Chrysler never made a Royal Cabernet. i find this all funny. never saw anything about Black Cherry TCs

I have heard a color on TCs referred to as Wild Cherry a couple of times before this. I also read a list of colors that were supposed to be TC colors. That list did include "Wild Cherry" I painted a car the real George Barris "Candy Wild Cherry" in the '60s. It might look close from a 1/4 mile away, in the fog, at midnight. We know Manufacturers like to name something using those famous "Candy" colors; but they usually use a color that is a 1 step process that kinda looks like the custom colors. These colors altho on Chrysler Family cars were mixed from a completely different formulas than American auto paints. And I have not found them listed in the formula books under Chrysler. The "Poly" brand I found them in was under Maserati/Italy

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks - does anyone have a cell phone number for Lou Z? Stephanie looked over the car this morning and had concern over rust bubbling in the passenger side door jam, and didn't want to complete the sale on his behalf.

I want to confirm with Lou that he wants to decline the sale so I can move forward with another buyer.

Thanks,

Dan Culkin