Shifter Knob - Question

andyb

Guest My TC Toy

If it was an auto tranny, which I suspect, these two clips hold in the plastic rod to a pin down below that is attached to the push down button on top. If they are both broken off, well, they're broken off. I doubt if the push button and the shaft that is attached will jump out of the assembly. The push button should still function fine releasing the shifter lock. If you search around you will probably find one, but you will probably have to buy the whole shifter assembly. Maybe someone on this thread will have one. Keep in touch. (That will teach you to remove the shifter knob!)

Guest d_voitel

When I bought my TC, the push down button you speak of was broken just as you described. As of now I haven't attempted to look for a new one since I wanted to work on other things first. I found that if I carefully place the push down button on top of the shifter, all works O.K. for me. Under the button, there is a small square like plastic plate, when pushed by the button, releases the shifter in order to shift gears. The little prongs are used to hold button in place without falling out. I just have to be careful not to lose the button.

Duane

Guest My TC Toy

There art two different sets of "hooks" we are discussing. One set is at the top of the plastic shift-lock release arm and secures the actual top push button. If these tabs are broken off, you can use a couple of small pieces of double sided body tape to secure between the bottom of the actual button and the top of the rod, which is a flat piece. This push button could be very easy to loose if not secured.

The other set of hooks or locks are located about 6" below the actual push button, on the bottom end of the shaft that releases the shift lock. I personally would not worry about this one as the entire button and 6" of inside plastic shaft would have to rise up out of the shifter housing, in order to loose it. There should be no problem releasing the shift lock if the bottom hooks are missing.