Survivors at The BCA National

Guest BJM

3 years ago I was impressed to see so many survivors at the BCA National Meet in Rochester, MN. I believe the BCA calls this the Driven class? But I could be wrong.

Anyway, I was reading the HEMMINGS CLASSIC CARS magazine with some interest this month as they profiled David Burroughs of Corvette Bloomington Gold fame who has created a new Survivors car show.

I recently purchased a survivor but it is not a Buick. I found this article on Burroughs interesting because he focuses on the point that there are fewer and fewer survivors every year. He also made an interesting point that he would give 100 points to a brand new Corvette as a survivor as well.

I think there needs to be more emphasis on PRESERVATION of a survivor because in the case of my 49 New Yorker, there are unsightly stains on part of the interior clothe - and pits on some but not all the chrome.

I guess this is that old Patina argument all over again but I would like to know how to preserve appearance better on survivors.

Guest my3buicks

The BCA has an Archival Class, plus the Drivers Class - The Archival cars are judged on their original features, authenticity and originality with much more emphasis on that than condition. Points are deducted for restored areas, or incorrect replacement maintenance parts.

I've judged in the Archival class the last two years. Aside from learning a lot, there have been some pretty impressive cars. This year, two struck me - a 1952 - I think it was a Super. It was a bit banged up on the one side, but otherwise was extremely nice, let alone the fact that it hasn't been painted in over 50 years. There was also a '66 LeSabre that was very nice. If I wasn't judging, I'd have been taking a number of detailed photos of each for my cars.

Thanks Keith and Derek.

Derek - how many cars were in the Archival class? Does anybody have records of the number in this class the last few years - in other words is it going up?

Both 2007 and this year we had two judging teams for the class, so I'd say it would have to be about 10-15.

Alan Oldfield or Mike & Nancy at the BCA Office may be able to provide you with numbers.

I was more impressed with this year's class than in Seattle. In 2007, our judging team had to fail more of the cars. It is a pretty simple criteria, but like the driven class, folks either have some difficulty reading, or are hoping that judges won't see things like repaints or added overdrive units.