V12 Rebuild Tips/Stand Wanted

Guest ggvette

Guest ggvette

Hello. I will be rebuilding my first V12 soon, and I wondered if there were a few specific things I should watch for. I have rebuilt flathead before, but never a V12.

Also I do not think the regular engine stand which holds the block at the

bellhousing would be appropriate given the length and weight, so what have others done?

Also is there a quick list of parts which interchange with the V8 Flatheads

of the same year, such as fuel pump, water pumps, etc.?

Thank You :)

I HAVE USED A CONVENTIONAL ENGINE STAND..MUST BE GOOD QUALITY..IDEALLY, U GET A MOUNT TO BOLT TO THE SIDE, EXHAUST MANIFOLD HOLES..THESE ENGINES ARE GREAT WHEN BUILT TO EXACTING TOLERANCES..REPLACE SPLIT VALVE GUIDES WITH 1 PIECE, AS THEY TEND TO SUCK OIL MIST INTO COMBUSTION CHAMBERS AND SMOKE.NEW.LIFTERS AND LIFTER BODIES ARE ALMOST NON EXISTENT. THE POST WAR CRANKS ARE SUPERIOR WITH BETTER OILING..AND A HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP, HIGH VOLUME WATERPUMPS AND UPDATED HEAD GASKETS ALL HELP..MANY REPLACE THE OIL SLINGER REAR SEAL WITH A ROPE STYLE FOR MORE POSITIVE REAR OIL CONTROL.

GOOD BASIC MACHINE WORK IS ESSENTIAL..I LIKE TO SHAVE THE HEADS FOR INCREASED COMPRESSION...MODERN FUEL IS MUCH HIGHER OCTANE.. HAVE SKIP HANEY IN FL REBUILD YOUR COIL FOR HOT SPARK..VERY SIMILAR TO FORD

Guest DADDIO65

I just got done with my engine... first rule, take your time, do it right the first time!!

I used a heavy duty engine stand bolted to my bell housing with grade 8 bolds. I made a rod to support the front of the engine so it would not add any excessive stress on the bell housing. Make sure your machine shop is familiar with a flahead engine. I learned through trial and error that even though a machine shop can build a $15,000 race engine, they don't know crap about a flat head...especially a V12. If in doubt... re-work it or replace it if possible. From the oil pump, to the lifters. I learned that if you question the condition of any part, this forum will help with ideas and answers to your many questions. The biggest part is be patient, learn from it, ask a ton of questions...have a kid help you, and have fun!! It will be worth it in the end. If you have any direct questions, feel free to contact most any of us. We could direct you to parts suppliers, machine shops, technical guys and a good group of people willing to make sure you have something to be proud of when it is all said and done.

Guest ggvette

Thank You for the support and encouragement. I will certainly post my questions once I get into the engine later this year.

Guest Frenchy32

I made my engine stand. But you can use the standard engine stand and you will need to buy a piece of angle iron and have it bolted on the exhaust port side straight across and a piece of tubing welded to the angle iron and you can now insert it into the engine stand. If you need pictures I can posted them here.

Thanks

Frenchy

Guest Frenchy32

I will take pictures of the stand and post it here tomorrow. It will have my next V12 I am building on it so that you can see how it is. You will also need to extend the legs at the base on each side so that when you want to rotate it it will not want to fall because of been top heavy.

Frenchy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Frenchy,

Why don't you post the pictures of your engine stand here on the forum? Many (or most) of us would be interested in seeing what it looks like!

It's real easy, just scroll down to "Additional Options" and click on "Manage Attachments". A window will pop up with options to "browse" your computer and select the images you want to attach. Then click "Upload" and wait until "Done" appears in the lower left corner of the window. When that appears, click on "Preview Post" to see if you have atteched the right files. If everything is OK, just click "Submit Reply" and it's done.

The only thing I might recommend is to make the images around 640x480 in resolution to avoid them being too large.

post-31768-14313811173_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the engine stand I made for the V12 engines. The bottom legs can be extended a foot out if you need to. You remove the bolt and extend the legs out and you line up the next hole that is showing and put the blot back in this will give you an extention. The angle piece that is bolted on the block on the exhaust port side you will need to figure out the engine level once you have it bolted down than weld the tube to the angle iron piece. If anyone needs help on this give me a call at my office. ( 602 ) 2578680.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail

post-60218-143138111846_thumb.jpg

post-60218-143138111849_thumb.jpg

post-60218-143138111851_thumb.jpg

post-60218-143138111853_thumb.jpg

post-60218-143138111855_thumb.jpg

Edited by toyopet (see edit history)