Sign in to follow this  
ol' yeller

How Can The BCA Survive?

That particular webpage was updated in July, 2009. "Hard Copy" of the magazine has NOT stopped being printed. Obviously . . . the printed copy happens FIRST, then it's put into electronic format LATER, then posted by VOLUNTEERS to the BCA's website.

In a discussion of standardized definitions of "broadband", it seems the Obama admin is wanting a standardized definition (as in speed) of this type of service. Almost every service provider in the USA wants SLOWER speeds than many now have as "the definition standarde" for "broadband". Seems the USA's broadband rates as the 19th fastest version on the planet. What is in Europe is significantly faster, which could make online e-zines more popular and downloadable.

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I've been cooked a few times with GM's electronic parts book databases being updated and errors (which later caused problems!) were fixed. "After the update", the errors and their problems were revealed. In such a digital format, you CANNOT track these things after they are updated! Trying to explain how the error happened when you CANNOT duplicate how it happened, at the later date, only makes you look like YOU were the issue rather than an earlier version of the database! With a paper book, unless you throw it away, you have an archived item that CAN be researched AFTER the new, updated versions are printed. Unless YOU have been in such a situation, you might not understand how or why archived hard copy data can be important.

For example, when the Trailblazer platform was introduced, the power window switches had TWO part numbers listed for the same part and description. The one that looked "normal" was in the price book, the other one was not. Order the wrong one and it was cancelled. Order the "normal" one, it might take a while to get. Unless you actively "bird-dogged" your order, you did NOT know these things . . . other than there was an irate customer with a non-fully-functioning NEW vehicle and managers that were getting irate, too. NO explanation as to why there were two part numbers, just that they were there and each appeared legitimate. Not just on one power window switch, but on ALL of them. Later catalog updates did NOT have the dual numbers for the same part description. UNLESS you knew the history of those parts in that catalog, from "being there", when the database was updated, there was no evidence of their ever having existed.

The earlier "saving grace" was that, back then, the database was on a local DVD server, in-house. With the correct software, a normal PC could read them. I suspect that FEW had that capabilities. Now, it's Internet-based, for more current and quicker data updates.

As GM's Service Information is has been fully-Interneted for a good while, unless you might find an earlier version of a particular service bulletin (TSB), all you'll find on the listings are the current ones . . . even IF the current ones have deleted some labor operation steps from the original, which could also justify a lesser labor time being paid for the particular warranty repair. No way to see if something's been deleted unless you might have printed a hard copy of the TSB and have it in your files, for archived comparison. When you "lose the paper", you also lose all of your historical tracking information!

Of course, as the particular BCA webpage states, every BCA member gets a subscription to the Award Winning Magazine, THE BUGLE, as part of their BCA membership dues. Being it's currently in "hard copy" format FIRST, that's what the members get each month.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467
content (see edit history)

Well, I work for a company in the finance business and am responsible for some things in PR and marketing. I also write articles for our magazine, which has 35,000 addressees. The printery only accepts a PDF/X-3 for a good quality - so we have the digital version before the issue is printed. I guess the Buick is created with the computer as well.

Volunteers or not. I am not a member of the BCA, but a membership costs 68 USD for me. For three years 194 USD. For about 200 USD I expect a certain standard. In Germany they start teaching pupils how to build a website in 7th grade. I can imagine they teach it in the US as well. So these are the standards every website is measured with.

If the BCA only tells members about the membership benefits, why should any new one join it? Tell the people what you've got. I wrote two emails, one to the BCA Office about membership fees and one to the 'Bugle Chapter' about some back issues. Never got any reply.

The only recent Bugle issue I read was the June issue. The letter from the president says the BCA must act like a private company. If the BCA was one, it would be bankrupt already.

Maybe this sounds rude, but please understand it as a wake-up call: If you don't do the BASICS - have an up-to-date website, tell the people about your benefits and aswer emails - there is no need to argue about cool stuff.

The question for me is not HOW the BCA can survive (in this thread are many ideas), the question is IF the BCA can survive. Stop talking, start acting!

Was a new Bugle published since the July issue? The website doesn't tell there is a new one - has the BCA stopped publishing its magazine??

The Buick Bugle

The Bugle covers are posted as they are received, there are some times when there is some lag time which will be resolved in a few days. Just cause the covers aren't posted doesn't mean the Bugle wasn't sent out.

i have been an on and off member. currently off.

regards to how to survive or recruit and keep new members. the first thing i would change is the show format. staging cars by yrs does not promote anything but what i would call snobbery. the older generation does not play well with the younger crowd (i'm 58) and newer cars. if you want to attract and keep BCA members, you need to mix show format. put the cars in line as they come in or back to back 10' and 40's, 20's and 60's, 30 and 70's, etc. this way they can meet and greet their neighbor. they could or should show each other their car, offer to sit in it, maybe after show the offer a ride or even drive it. if you cant do that any of that, my suggestion is to stay home. harsh, but truthful. with our cars, whether its the show car or race car, is open for any of the ideas i mention. its only a piece of metal and can be fixed if broken.

the other concern is pricing or selling of cars and parts. if you want or need the next generation to help this club succeed you definately need the cars to be affordable. $100,000 cars and owners do not necessarily have the club in their best interest. its an investment to be sold for $125,000. who wins, not the club.

i was at a buick show today and discussing this. what are you going to do with the car when you die? will it be passed on to a family member who is not interested in the bca? if sold, will it be affordable to someone who really wants a buick, but cant afford your ridiculous price? no new member there. bca loses again.

i am into the performance cars and parts and they are getting stupidly priced like the old cars. if you want money, get out of my sandbox and go play the stock market. if you want buicks, keep it affordable for those of us who enjoys buicks. in other words, we are are own worst enemy.

i could go on, but i hate typing. if you want/need any more opinions i can call you.

john

I have not read every page of this thread,but want to put my foot in my mouth anyway.One ,activitys two get the wife or girlfrend involved and three repeat one and two. I have a membership applacation on my worn out computer stand and want to join, BUT YOU DONT DO ANYTHING EXCEPT IN MICHIGAN. Yes I will drive two three maby even five hundred miles for a nat. meet,but half way accross the states??aint gonna happen.

My wife was senior regent of our local Moose club, I can not count the number of times we MEN went begging to the women for a handout to pay the light bill or the rent. Sorry folks the truth hurts,but the fact remains without the ladies,it dont get done.

Now someone PLEASE give me a reason to mail my COMPLEATED membership app. in.:):)

Dick....... one of Pete Phillips Bugles will sell you.

Also the 2011 National meet is in Danvers MA which cannot be that far for you (by Texas standards) I drive 90 miles (about 2 hours with traffic) for a meeting of the Alamo Chapter.

I don't do it every month, but I attempt to make meeting that include car show, etc.

Since you are a gun enthusiast..... pull the trigger and send in the application, you will never know what you are missing until you become part of the action.

John...... mixing years of Buicks at a show works if the cars are not judged. It is a good way for old and new to meet, but I am not sure it solves the problem.

In judged shows, mixing cars is confusing, and makes more work for the judges.

Example, a judging team is made up of members (both male and female) farmiliar with a series of Buick. They are given hopefully no more than ten cars to judge. They have a list of the cars by entry number and must locate all the cars and judge them is a reasonable amount of time. If the cars are mixed, it now becomes a contest to find all the cars they are to judge.

Even with "peer" judging.......the people voting must find the cars within the designated classes. Often cars are missed or voted for in the wrong class. This makes vote counting

difficult.

I could live without ever going to a judged show, in fact more interesting cars show up at

free, non-judged shows, but the hosting show people usually feel they must charge something to recoop their expenses.

dick,

i recently resigned, as president, of a 99 yr old nationaltly club, which originally was for men only. the men membership is dieing off. there were a just a handful that would runs events and parties for the club. 9 board members and couldnt get them all to participate. i told the membership that we needed the women to join and have the rights the men do OR the club will not see 100 yrs. even with the demise in the future, the women were hestitant about the vote to change. i dont know what the outcome is going to be, but i just got tired of fighting stupid people and resigned. so i know where your coming from. some people dont like change, but if you want to survive, you better change.

john

I’m going to a big car show this weekend (International Route 66 Mother Road Festival). It would be nice to have a flyer advertising the 2010 BCA National Meet to hand out to other Buick enthusiasts.

btw, i havent seen a bugle issue in a while. i saw the sept issue yesterday and was not impressed at all. maybe costs or maybe members arent sending in articles or whatever. i just was not impressed.

I’m going to a big car show this weekend (International Route 66 Mother Road Festival). It would be nice to have a flyer advertising the 2010 BCA National Meet to hand out to other Buick enthusiasts.

Give me an email address and I will be glad to send you one.

my email is bill.stoneberg at sign gmail.com

Maybe I'm not good in words and my English is probably not the best. I drive a BMW and a 1954 Buick. The BMW Club of America has 75,000. I was surprised to see a foreign brand has 7.5 times more members than a brand that has an American heritage.

But I wasn't surprised anymore when I visited the websites and compared.

Buick Club of America

Buick Club of America - BCA - Welcome

BMW Club of America

BMW CCA

A picture says more than a thousands words. Here are some shots from the BMW Club of America website:

44.jpg

105.jpg

24.jpg

39.jpg

73.JPG

53.jpg

76.JPG

77.JPG

45.jpg

09.jpg

To me the pictures show HAPPINESS, LIFE, PASSION, POWER, FRIENDSHIP, FUTURE, TRADITION, YOUTH, FUN, PROUD.

Well, lets see what the Buick Club has to offer:

Oh, thats not easy, some links are broken...

Which values do these pictures show?

P1010489.JPG

P1010121.JPG

P1010148.JPG

100_4190.JPG

100_4129.JPG

I don't know anyone of the BMW Club of America and don't know 99,9% of the Buick Club of America. But even as a potential member (I've got two 1954 Buicks) the pictures of the BMW club look more attractive.

BTW: The next meet is in Atlanta, Georgia. :D

Ofest-peach09C.jpg

El Diablo

You are comparing "apples to oranges" ! There are numerous Buick clubs that are primarily race oriented, but the BCA I about enjoying old Buicks ! The GSCA (Gran Sport Club of America ) The BPG ( Buick Performance Group ) come immediately to mind.

I find it VERY hard to believe that the BMW organization has 75,000 americans in thei club.:confused::confused::confused:

John...... mixing years of Buicks at a show works if the cars are not judged. It is a good way for old and new to meet, but I am not sure it solves the problem.

In judged shows, mixing cars is confusing, and makes more work for the judges.

Example, a judging team is made up of members (both male and female) farmiliar with a series of Buick. They are given hopefully no more than ten cars to judge. They have a list of the cars by entry number and must locate all the cars and judge them is a reasonable amount of time. If the cars are mixed, it now becomes a contest to find all the cars they are to judge.

I like the idea of mixing things up a bit. Does everyone see the Rivieras or Reattas at a National when they are off on their own, not even mixing with other Buicks of the same year? I know the answer is no. Mixing things up would give a bit more exposure to different cars, both old and new.

I've never liked the excuse about making it easier / harder on judges. If everyone would listen to Pete in the judging school, the teams would spend no more than 10 minutes on a car, so a class of 10 cars would be done in under 2 hours...the judges could be done in time for lunch at a National.

HAPPINESS-check, LIFE-check, POWER- check, FRIENDSHIP- check, FUTURE -check, TRADITION- check, YOUTH- check, FUN- check,PASSION- check-check PROUD- check-check-check, sounds like the BCA to me!!!:) Oh and one more...LOVE ...for the greatest and most beautiful automobile ever on the planet, BUICK!!!

100_7911.jpg

I see and know what you're trying to say El D and while I appreciate it, it's really not near as bad as those pictures you selected. If you ever get a chance to attend a National, I think you would be surprised at the fun and comradeship that goes on, both on and off the show field, meetings etc.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

[quote name=

100_7911.jpg

I see and know what you're trying to say El D and while I appreciate it, it's really not near as bad as those pictures you selected. If you ever get a chance to attend a National, I think you would be surprised at the fun and comradeship that goes on, both on and off the show field, meetings etc.

Is that your arm Mr Earl, wow, I wonder what part of my body would be best to have a tattoo of my 1950 Jetback grill and front bumper, I know a few places it would fit!!

El D, good advice from Mr Earl, attached is a photo of a couple of thirsty travellers enjoying the company of locals in the hospitality tent at Flint in 2003.

That tent was legendary and still lives in the memories of all Australian visitors to that great show.

post-31244-143138112254_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

I think El Diablo' s point is the BMW website shows sport, action, commaradie and fun. And if the BCA website was enhanced with some of that we might pull additional members.

If you take a deeper look at the BMW website you'd see some forum comments that seem familiar. Links that don't work, people not getting their monthly magazine, people weighing in on hard copy or electronic version. Also people praising the magazine and the work of the club organizers.

But one big difference is more subtle. It seems that the Club includes dealerships, and there is a contest under way for a membership drive. There are two classes of contestants in this event. Regular members and Dealerships. Without over analyzation it appears that the Dealerships for BMW participate in a big way in driving new members to the club. That is something we do not share in the BCA. There is no way to know if the people stay with the club. Were the BCA to advertise it's total membership number one would see that over time there has been over 40,000 BCA members.

But another big difference is there are no more new sporty Buicks. We can't do much about that except to complain verbally and protest with our pocket books by buying another manufacturers vehicles. This part is up to the "new" GM to recogonize and fix.

But as to El D's original comment I think it would be a nice addition if we could have a front page picture album which members could add to individually and then have a photo contest to find and add pictures under the same general categories, fun, commradie, sport, and whatever else we can think of.

'

Is that your arm Mr Earl, wow, I wonder what part of my body would be best to have a tattoo of my 1950 Jetback grill and front bumper, I know a few places it would fit!!

El D, good advice from Mr Earl, attached is a photo of a couple of thirsty travellers enjoying the company of locals in the hospitality tent at Flint in 2003.

That tent was legendary and still lives in the memories of all Australian visitors to that great show.

yea this one would have fit other places too, heck Rita gets tired of me rollin up my sleeve to show this one off ...what would she say if I....well never mind :D

oahaaaaaaaaaa Flint in 2003, now if all the Nationals could match that one.... the park was full of chrome that week wasn't it.

JohnD, those are some well thought out remarks ou made. You are dead on as to what I think El D was pointing out. I think the BCA has been hung up on older period Buicks. Since I have started collecting and perusing all the Dealership Brochures for every year I have gained a new respect for the style and beauty of Buick over all the years. It is a shame the dealerships and the BCA don't have stronger ties. Perhaps there could be a committee to look into that and gradually improve that scenario. The BCA shouldn't be just about old Buicks.

Thanks JohnD, thanks El Diablo

oahaaaaaaaaaa Flint in 2003, now if all the Nationals could match that one.... the park was full of chrome that week wasn't it.

Events like the 2003 celebrations and indeed the annual Nationals are a good reason why overseas Buick enthusiasts should consider joining the BCA.

There are always caravans organised to attend these events from all directions and being a BCA member enables you to participate. I joined the caravan from Seattle in 2003 and the trip was just a great opportunity to see America in a different perspective from that of just a tourist.

The camaraderie on the trip was wonderful and what could be better than driving with a bunch of Buick enthusiasts and their cars.

I was so taken with my experience I wrote an article for the combined Australian Buick Clubs magazine which can be read on this link

http://www.westernbuicks.org/Magazine/Article%20Stuart%20Syme%20Seattle2%20Oct%202003.pdf

This opportunity wouldn't have really been possible without being a member of the BCA. I have since made return visits and caught up with some of the friends I made on that trip.

So El D, and other non US resident members of this forum, I highly recommend you join the BCA. Receiving the Buick Bugle ( which is now brilliant, thanks Pete ) is value enough, but if you ever want to go and see the home of Buicks and the people who own and drive them membership is a must. You will find it opens many doors.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

I'm not aware of USA schools, with their varied curriculum, much less from state to state and school district to school district, "magnet" school", "charter school", public school, private school, or home school, having "website design" in their middle school (or earlier) class subject choices. I also suspect that even if they did teach it, by the time they graduated, it would be outdated . . . unless the student kept up with that subject later on. With the current childhood obesity "epidemic" (and related diabetes issues!), the orientation is becoming more on getting the kids out in the sunshine for some physical activity rather than sitting at a computer--with all due respect.

Regarding how the cars are staged on the show field, this subject can be discussed at length and no firm concensus can be reached--we've done that several times. Some like variety, some like to see a chronological progression, others "don't care", but it would seem that some orderly fashion usually works best, even at the many weekend car cruise shows. It CAN make it harder for judging administration as THEY have to ensure that all cars are equitably judged by the judging teams. There is no guarantee that a vehicle that has been overlooked, then "found", then judged hurriedly under the 400 Point System, will receive the same level of judging as one of its "classmates" that was done in the normal round of judging. In a peer judging or non-400 Point System judging, if the car is not a trophy contender, no significant affect on the outcome, but in the 400 Point System, it CAN be significant. Therefore, having all cars of one class parked in one area of the show field ONLY makes the judging operations run more smooooothly. Even if 10 minutes is recommended for each car, if you also have to spend 15 minutes finding each vehicle on of the class the team is judging, that can make each vehicle's judging consume more like 30+ minutes. After the class judging is completed, THEN other time criteria start as the paperwork is initially processed in readiness for presentation to the "judging administration" itself.

End result is that the "default mode" of parking the 400 Point Judged vehicles on the show field, in class sequence, makes the judging activities run smoother and more expeditiously in general. If the judging team also knows that all of the vehicles they are to judge are parked in one area, it can also make their activities less stressful--especially if they believe they are finished and then they suddenly realize that all registered and "booked" vehicles in their class have not yet been judged. Such "discoveries" are not fun to fix! Been there, done that!

The "dealership tie-in" has been variable for most USA brand dealerships and many "import" brand dealerships. Many Mustang clubs have dealership ties, as do some Corvette clubs, but it's a highly variable situation. Many like to sponsor shows at their dealerships, but it's more about getting people in to look at the older vehicles and then look at the newer vehicles too.

BMW clubs can be highly beneficial for BMW dealerships. Parts sales, service work, etc., plus the "That dealership's 'cool'" orientation can all benefit. BMW is also tied-in with the Susan B. Komen Foundation, offering "drives for dollars" to any licensed driver that registers, with BMW donating $1/mile driven to SBK.

On the USA brand side of things, many dealer managers perceive that an "old car" enthusiast will ONLY consider their older cars of the same brand as "good cars" rather than considering a newer vehicle of the same brand. Hence, few additional sales. With modern vehicles typically being so disconnected from their past heritage (fwd vs. rwd, for example; V-8 vs 4 cyl; hardtop vs sedan), they might see little chance of selling the vintage vehicle owner a new car.

Many dealership managers are so focused on profit percentages that they overlook some "free advertising" they are missing, plus the "cool factor" in the eyes of the consumer if their dealership might sponsor car shows or give marque car club members discounts on parts and such. By observation, there are many things USA brand dealerships can do to have good tie-ins with vintage vehicles of the same brand, but they typically will not do it due to their beloved "Gross Profit" doc sheet percentages taking a little hit because of it. Unfortunately, too, not too many of the younger dealership employees really know that much about anything they might not have grown up with! "Who made Oldsmobile?"

Also, with so many single-point Buick dealers becoming "in channel" for GM's marketing purposes, having vintage Buicks sitting amongst a few new Buicks, and in a "sea of GMCs" might not look as good as or have the same impact as if they were on a sales lot with nothing but BUICKS. BMW does NOT have that problem!

Another dealership issue is the somewhat frequent change of sales management. Generally, managers in the "back side of the store" are much more stable in their employment. So, that means "parts department" or "service department" managers that will make such club associations what they can be. THEY have to have an interest in making it happen. Plus "good business sense" in how to reasonably make the most of any related club association. Key thing, though, is that if it doesn't bring them in more business, it's costing them money.

As for the BCA being run like a business, many might have forgotten where the club's finances were circa 1998 and the many "business decisions" which were made after that to preserve the BCA's finances. Many things were "re-arranged" to achieve that goal. These would be things that more recent members would have no knowledge of and some older members might not have known about, with all due respect.

Unfortunately, the BCA is like any other large company, as sudden changes are shied-away-from as there is only ONE time to get it right during the year . . . which is at the BCA National Meet (as far as making the meet run well, inside and out). Doing things radically different to please one newer demographic of member is usually not done with evolutionary modifications and enhancements are usually the "order of the day". Such "lack of speed" where a "need for speed" might be desired can be viewed as being "unresponsive" by some, but for the existing BCA member, even THAT might be moving too fast. Remember, too, that as we age, our tolerance of ambiguity and such diminishes with bodily hormone levels!

Many of the BCA's cultural aspects run deep enough that they will not change overnight. Yet, there are some cultural aspects that are GREAT and do not need to change. How the BCA National Meets are run is secondary to that, but such meets serve as a focal point for prior friendships to be furthered and new friendships made EACH YEAR. Any vehicle club should have a focal point (the desired vehicle!) and a network which will support such enthusiasm for said focal point (the membership) -- the age demographic of the membership should NOT be an issue, but some seem to like to make it an issue.

By my observations at autocross activities, most of the BMW participants are under about 40 years old. If they're going to do these races, they have to have quick reflexes and such, so a younger age can benefit that. VW participants will be younger, generally. Most of the vehicles they are competing in are the less expensive models (i.e., BMW 3-series) rather than the more expensive 5- or 7-series cars.

One hallmark of Ford Mustang advertising on the Hispanic networks has been people having fun in Fords. Some of that has happened on the USA networks, too, but not to the same extent. Remember the first Mustang commercials in 1965? Fun, Excitement, Popularity, "Build it like you want", the musical "Sweet Six Cylinder Mustang" commercial? Pontiac BUILT excitement, but Buick was more reserved, but equally capable. Unfortunately, many of the Buick owners who might remember when Buicks were exciting (in model choice, in color combinations--inside and out, in genuine performance, in prestige) DO have grayer hair now. It seems that when a BMW driver gets to be that age, they've graduated to a 7-series BMW and have retreated to the recliner, with all due respect.

BUICK is not dead, nor is General Motors, nor is the BCA, BPG, or GSCA. Excitement, now, is related to MP3 or USB ports plus satellite radio rather than 4bbl carbs and dual exhaust. Many open roads where a vehicle could be enjoyed and appreciated are now Interstates that are boring "cruise control" events. Throttle response and transmission actions are now "computer controlled" with no real feedback for the driver (unless WOT is activated), that "just a little more" going up a hill throttle feel is just not there. All other prior feedbacks have been muted from prior levels, too, so we just sit back and steer and watch the scenery go by.

BUICK still has some great products, just not as much pizzazzz as they did 50 years ago . . . but then FEW vehicles still have it, even if they are still true to their original product orientation of 60 years prior. Many in here might not aspire to own a new Buick, but that does not mean that others might now see Buick as "aspirational"--the same Buicks which we might not like ourselves. Unfortunately, the younger people who might see Buicks as aspirational are not capable of purchasing a new Buick at that time. So, we need to get them interested in Buicks they CAN afford and enjoy and cherish in the future.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

One hallmark of Ford Mustang advertising on the Hispanic networks has been people having fun in Fords. Some of that has happened on the USA networks, too, but not to the same extent. Remember the first Mustang commercials in 1965? Fun, Excitement, Popularity, "Build it like you want", the musical "Sweet Six Cylinder Mustang" commercial? Pontiac BUILT excitement, but Buick was more reserved, but equally capable. Unfortunately, many of the Buick owners who might remember when Buicks were exciting (in model choice, in color combinations--inside and out, in genuine performance, in prestige) DO have grayer hair now.

BUICK is not dead, nor is General Motors, nor is the BCA, BPG, or GSCA. Excitement, now, is related to MP3 or USB ports plus satellite radio rather than 4bbl carbs and dual exhaust. Many open roads where a vehicle could be enjoyed and appreciated are now Interstates that are boring "cruise control" events.

BUICK still has some great products, just not as much pizzazzz as they did 50 years ago . . . but then FEW vehicles still have it, even if they are still true to their original product orientation of 60 years prior. Many in here might not aspire to own a new Buick, but that does not mean that others might now see Buick as "aspirational"--the same Buicks which we might not like ourselves.

WOW,

You just hit on one of the fundamentals of Advertising 101: SHOW THE CONSUMER USING AND ENJOYING YOUR PRODUCT!!!

This applies for everything from toothpaste to new cars. For example, if you go back to the Buick brochures of the 1990's, you didn't see a PA or an Ultra with a sunroof open, you saw that car as it was going down the road with the sunroof open and a youngish late-30's to mid-40s driver BEHIND THE WHEEL ENJOYING THE CAR. This theme hasn't been used since Buick had that ridiculous theme of "The Official Car of the Supercharged Family" for the Regal.

No matter what brand of car, manufacturers used to show people (families, singles, women, children, etc.) using the car. Have you seen a brochure lately for a Lacrosse or Lucerne? Giant photos of a fender, a speaker grill, a gear shift knob, or the seam between a door and a fender. NO PEOPLE.

As long as Buick is trying to portray itself as the 'precision robot-built car' without people involvement, people (customers) will not visualize themselves using and enjoying the car. About the only time I remember people in GM commercials are models in a fake showroom pretending to be buying a car or a pseudo-cowboy throwing a saddle or bale of hay into the back of a Silverado.

C'mon, NEW GM. Wake up and put the fun people can have in your cars back into your ads and brochures. Rebuilding GM is much more involved than the latest 0% financing offer, or seeing a car with blacked-out windows rolling down a computer-generated highway.

Edited by Reatta Man (see edit history)

I would like to know where El-D gets his numbers from. I believe the AACA to be the largest auto club in the world and WE dont have that many 0s in our number. Now I know I have to send in my membership.

10 pages of replies.

l have a saying for this. ''analysis paralysis''. which means we will talk it death and not do anything.

john