How Can The BCA Survive?

ol' yeller

Guest windjamer

I have not read every page of this thread,but want to put my foot in my mouth anyway.One ,activitys two get the wife or girlfrend involved and three repeat one and two. I have a membership applacation on my worn out computer stand and want to join, BUT YOU DONT DO ANYTHING EXCEPT IN MICHIGAN. Yes I will drive two three maby even five hundred miles for a nat. meet,but half way accross the states??aint gonna happen.

My wife was senior regent of our local Moose club, I can not count the number of times we MEN went begging to the women for a handout to pay the light bill or the rent. Sorry folks the truth hurts,but the fact remains without the ladies,it dont get done.

Now someone PLEASE give me a reason to mail my COMPLEATED membership app. in.:):)

Dick....... one of Pete Phillips Bugles will sell you.

Also the 2011 National meet is in Danvers MA which cannot be that far for you (by Texas standards) I drive 90 miles (about 2 hours with traffic) for a meeting of the Alamo Chapter.

I don't do it every month, but I attempt to make meeting that include car show, etc.

Since you are a gun enthusiast..... pull the trigger and send in the application, you will never know what you are missing until you become part of the action.

John...... mixing years of Buicks at a show works if the cars are not judged. It is a good way for old and new to meet, but I am not sure it solves the problem.

In judged shows, mixing cars is confusing, and makes more work for the judges.

Example, a judging team is made up of members (both male and female) farmiliar with a series of Buick. They are given hopefully no more than ten cars to judge. They have a list of the cars by entry number and must locate all the cars and judge them is a reasonable amount of time. If the cars are mixed, it now becomes a contest to find all the cars they are to judge.

Even with "peer" judging.......the people voting must find the cars within the designated classes. Often cars are missed or voted for in the wrong class. This makes vote counting

difficult.

I could live without ever going to a judged show, in fact more interesting cars show up at

free, non-judged shows, but the hosting show people usually feel they must charge something to recoop their expenses.

dick,

i recently resigned, as president, of a 99 yr old nationaltly club, which originally was for men only. the men membership is dieing off. there were a just a handful that would runs events and parties for the club. 9 board members and couldnt get them all to participate. i told the membership that we needed the women to join and have the rights the men do OR the club will not see 100 yrs. even with the demise in the future, the women were hestitant about the vote to change. i dont know what the outcome is going to be, but i just got tired of fighting stupid people and resigned. so i know where your coming from. some people dont like change, but if you want to survive, you better change.

john

I’m going to a big car show this weekend (International Route 66 Mother Road Festival). It would be nice to have a flyer advertising the 2010 BCA National Meet to hand out to other Buick enthusiasts.

I’m going to a big car show this weekend (International Route 66 Mother Road Festival). It would be nice to have a flyer advertising the 2010 BCA National Meet to hand out to other Buick enthusiasts.

Give me an email address and I will be glad to send you one.

my email is bill.stoneberg at sign gmail.com

Guest El_Diablo

Maybe I'm not good in words and my English is probably not the best. I drive a BMW and a 1954 Buick. The BMW Club of America has 75,000. I was surprised to see a foreign brand has 7.5 times more members than a brand that has an American heritage.

But I wasn't surprised anymore when I visited the websites and compared.

Buick Club of America

Buick Club of America - BCA - Welcome

BMW Club of America

BMW CCA

A picture says more than a thousands words. Here are some shots from the BMW Club of America website:

44.jpg

105.jpg

24.jpg

39.jpg

73.JPG

53.jpg

76.JPG

77.JPG

45.jpg

09.jpg

To me the pictures show HAPPINESS, LIFE, PASSION, POWER, FRIENDSHIP, FUTURE, TRADITION, YOUTH, FUN, PROUD.

Guest El_Diablo

Well, lets see what the Buick Club has to offer:

Oh, thats not easy, some links are broken...

Which values do these pictures show?

P1010489.JPG

P1010121.JPG

P1010148.JPG

100_4190.JPG

100_4129.JPG

I don't know anyone of the BMW Club of America and don't know 99,9% of the Buick Club of America. But even as a potential member (I've got two 1954 Buicks) the pictures of the BMW club look more attractive.

BTW: The next meet is in Atlanta, Georgia. :D

Ofest-peach09C.jpg

El Diablo

You are comparing "apples to oranges" ! There are numerous Buick clubs that are primarily race oriented, but the BCA I about enjoying old Buicks ! The GSCA (Gran Sport Club of America ) The BPG ( Buick Performance Group ) come immediately to mind.

I find it VERY hard to believe that the BMW organization has 75,000 americans in thei club.:confused::confused::confused:

John...... mixing years of Buicks at a show works if the cars are not judged. It is a good way for old and new to meet, but I am not sure it solves the problem.

In judged shows, mixing cars is confusing, and makes more work for the judges.

Example, a judging team is made up of members (both male and female) farmiliar with a series of Buick. They are given hopefully no more than ten cars to judge. They have a list of the cars by entry number and must locate all the cars and judge them is a reasonable amount of time. If the cars are mixed, it now becomes a contest to find all the cars they are to judge.

I like the idea of mixing things up a bit. Does everyone see the Rivieras or Reattas at a National when they are off on their own, not even mixing with other Buicks of the same year? I know the answer is no. Mixing things up would give a bit more exposure to different cars, both old and new.

I've never liked the excuse about making it easier / harder on judges. If everyone would listen to Pete in the judging school, the teams would spend no more than 10 minutes on a car, so a class of 10 cars would be done in under 2 hours...the judges could be done in time for lunch at a National.

HAPPINESS-check, LIFE-check, POWER- check, FRIENDSHIP- check, FUTURE -check, TRADITION- check, YOUTH- check, FUN- check,PASSION- check-check PROUD- check-check-check, sounds like the BCA to me!!!:) Oh and one more...LOVE ...for the greatest and most beautiful automobile ever on the planet, BUICK!!!

100_7911.jpg

I see and know what you're trying to say El D and while I appreciate it, it's really not near as bad as those pictures you selected. If you ever get a chance to attend a National, I think you would be surprised at the fun and comradeship that goes on, both on and off the show field, meetings etc.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

[quote name=

100_7911.jpg

I see and know what you're trying to say El D and while I appreciate it, it's really not near as bad as those pictures you selected. If you ever get a chance to attend a National, I think you would be surprised at the fun and comradeship that goes on, both on and off the show field, meetings etc.

Is that your arm Mr Earl, wow, I wonder what part of my body would be best to have a tattoo of my 1950 Jetback grill and front bumper, I know a few places it would fit!!

El D, good advice from Mr Earl, attached is a photo of a couple of thirsty travellers enjoying the company of locals in the hospitality tent at Flint in 2003.

That tent was legendary and still lives in the memories of all Australian visitors to that great show.

post-31244-143138112254_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

I think El Diablo' s point is the BMW website shows sport, action, commaradie and fun. And if the BCA website was enhanced with some of that we might pull additional members.

If you take a deeper look at the BMW website you'd see some forum comments that seem familiar. Links that don't work, people not getting their monthly magazine, people weighing in on hard copy or electronic version. Also people praising the magazine and the work of the club organizers.

But one big difference is more subtle. It seems that the Club includes dealerships, and there is a contest under way for a membership drive. There are two classes of contestants in this event. Regular members and Dealerships. Without over analyzation it appears that the Dealerships for BMW participate in a big way in driving new members to the club. That is something we do not share in the BCA. There is no way to know if the people stay with the club. Were the BCA to advertise it's total membership number one would see that over time there has been over 40,000 BCA members.

But another big difference is there are no more new sporty Buicks. We can't do much about that except to complain verbally and protest with our pocket books by buying another manufacturers vehicles. This part is up to the "new" GM to recogonize and fix.

But as to El D's original comment I think it would be a nice addition if we could have a front page picture album which members could add to individually and then have a photo contest to find and add pictures under the same general categories, fun, commradie, sport, and whatever else we can think of.

'

Is that your arm Mr Earl, wow, I wonder what part of my body would be best to have a tattoo of my 1950 Jetback grill and front bumper, I know a few places it would fit!!

El D, good advice from Mr Earl, attached is a photo of a couple of thirsty travellers enjoying the company of locals in the hospitality tent at Flint in 2003.

That tent was legendary and still lives in the memories of all Australian visitors to that great show.

yea this one would have fit other places too, heck Rita gets tired of me rollin up my sleeve to show this one off ...what would she say if I....well never mind :D

oahaaaaaaaaaa Flint in 2003, now if all the Nationals could match that one.... the park was full of chrome that week wasn't it.

JohnD, those are some well thought out remarks ou made. You are dead on as to what I think El D was pointing out. I think the BCA has been hung up on older period Buicks. Since I have started collecting and perusing all the Dealership Brochures for every year I have gained a new respect for the style and beauty of Buick over all the years. It is a shame the dealerships and the BCA don't have stronger ties. Perhaps there could be a committee to look into that and gradually improve that scenario. The BCA shouldn't be just about old Buicks.

Thanks JohnD, thanks El Diablo

oahaaaaaaaaaa Flint in 2003, now if all the Nationals could match that one.... the park was full of chrome that week wasn't it.

Events like the 2003 celebrations and indeed the annual Nationals are a good reason why overseas Buick enthusiasts should consider joining the BCA.

There are always caravans organised to attend these events from all directions and being a BCA member enables you to participate. I joined the caravan from Seattle in 2003 and the trip was just a great opportunity to see America in a different perspective from that of just a tourist.

The camaraderie on the trip was wonderful and what could be better than driving with a bunch of Buick enthusiasts and their cars.

I was so taken with my experience I wrote an article for the combined Australian Buick Clubs magazine which can be read on this link

http://www.westernbuicks.org/Magazine/Article%20Stuart%20Syme%20Seattle2%20Oct%202003.pdf

This opportunity wouldn't have really been possible without being a member of the BCA. I have since made return visits and caught up with some of the friends I made on that trip.

So El D, and other non US resident members of this forum, I highly recommend you join the BCA. Receiving the Buick Bugle ( which is now brilliant, thanks Pete ) is value enough, but if you ever want to go and see the home of Buicks and the people who own and drive them membership is a must. You will find it opens many doors.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

I'm not aware of USA schools, with their varied curriculum, much less from state to state and school district to school district, "magnet" school", "charter school", public school, private school, or home school, having "website design" in their middle school (or earlier) class subject choices. I also suspect that even if they did teach it, by the time they graduated, it would be outdated . . . unless the student kept up with that subject later on. With the current childhood obesity "epidemic" (and related diabetes issues!), the orientation is becoming more on getting the kids out in the sunshine for some physical activity rather than sitting at a computer--with all due respect.

Regarding how the cars are staged on the show field, this subject can be discussed at length and no firm concensus can be reached--we've done that several times. Some like variety, some like to see a chronological progression, others "don't care", but it would seem that some orderly fashion usually works best, even at the many weekend car cruise shows. It CAN make it harder for judging administration as THEY have to ensure that all cars are equitably judged by the judging teams. There is no guarantee that a vehicle that has been overlooked, then "found", then judged hurriedly under the 400 Point System, will receive the same level of judging as one of its "classmates" that was done in the normal round of judging. In a peer judging or non-400 Point System judging, if the car is not a trophy contender, no significant affect on the outcome, but in the 400 Point System, it CAN be significant. Therefore, having all cars of one class parked in one area of the show field ONLY makes the judging operations run more smooooothly. Even if 10 minutes is recommended for each car, if you also have to spend 15 minutes finding each vehicle on of the class the team is judging, that can make each vehicle's judging consume more like 30+ minutes. After the class judging is completed, THEN other time criteria start as the paperwork is initially processed in readiness for presentation to the "judging administration" itself.

End result is that the "default mode" of parking the 400 Point Judged vehicles on the show field, in class sequence, makes the judging activities run smoother and more expeditiously in general. If the judging team also knows that all of the vehicles they are to judge are parked in one area, it can also make their activities less stressful--especially if they believe they are finished and then they suddenly realize that all registered and "booked" vehicles in their class have not yet been judged. Such "discoveries" are not fun to fix! Been there, done that!

The "dealership tie-in" has been variable for most USA brand dealerships and many "import" brand dealerships. Many Mustang clubs have dealership ties, as do some Corvette clubs, but it's a highly variable situation. Many like to sponsor shows at their dealerships, but it's more about getting people in to look at the older vehicles and then look at the newer vehicles too.

BMW clubs can be highly beneficial for BMW dealerships. Parts sales, service work, etc., plus the "That dealership's 'cool'" orientation can all benefit. BMW is also tied-in with the Susan B. Komen Foundation, offering "drives for dollars" to any licensed driver that registers, with BMW donating $1/mile driven to SBK.

On the USA brand side of things, many dealer managers perceive that an "old car" enthusiast will ONLY consider their older cars of the same brand as "good cars" rather than considering a newer vehicle of the same brand. Hence, few additional sales. With modern vehicles typically being so disconnected from their past heritage (fwd vs. rwd, for example; V-8 vs 4 cyl; hardtop vs sedan), they might see little chance of selling the vintage vehicle owner a new car.

Many dealership managers are so focused on profit percentages that they overlook some "free advertising" they are missing, plus the "cool factor" in the eyes of the consumer if their dealership might sponsor car shows or give marque car club members discounts on parts and such. By observation, there are many things USA brand dealerships can do to have good tie-ins with vintage vehicles of the same brand, but they typically will not do it due to their beloved "Gross Profit" doc sheet percentages taking a little hit because of it. Unfortunately, too, not too many of the younger dealership employees really know that much about anything they might not have grown up with! "Who made Oldsmobile?"

Also, with so many single-point Buick dealers becoming "in channel" for GM's marketing purposes, having vintage Buicks sitting amongst a few new Buicks, and in a "sea of GMCs" might not look as good as or have the same impact as if they were on a sales lot with nothing but BUICKS. BMW does NOT have that problem!

Another dealership issue is the somewhat frequent change of sales management. Generally, managers in the "back side of the store" are much more stable in their employment. So, that means "parts department" or "service department" managers that will make such club associations what they can be. THEY have to have an interest in making it happen. Plus "good business sense" in how to reasonably make the most of any related club association. Key thing, though, is that if it doesn't bring them in more business, it's costing them money.

As for the BCA being run like a business, many might have forgotten where the club's finances were circa 1998 and the many "business decisions" which were made after that to preserve the BCA's finances. Many things were "re-arranged" to achieve that goal. These would be things that more recent members would have no knowledge of and some older members might not have known about, with all due respect.

Unfortunately, the BCA is like any other large company, as sudden changes are shied-away-from as there is only ONE time to get it right during the year . . . which is at the BCA National Meet (as far as making the meet run well, inside and out). Doing things radically different to please one newer demographic of member is usually not done with evolutionary modifications and enhancements are usually the "order of the day". Such "lack of speed" where a "need for speed" might be desired can be viewed as being "unresponsive" by some, but for the existing BCA member, even THAT might be moving too fast. Remember, too, that as we age, our tolerance of ambiguity and such diminishes with bodily hormone levels!

Many of the BCA's cultural aspects run deep enough that they will not change overnight. Yet, there are some cultural aspects that are GREAT and do not need to change. How the BCA National Meets are run is secondary to that, but such meets serve as a focal point for prior friendships to be furthered and new friendships made EACH YEAR. Any vehicle club should have a focal point (the desired vehicle!) and a network which will support such enthusiasm for said focal point (the membership) -- the age demographic of the membership should NOT be an issue, but some seem to like to make it an issue.

By my observations at autocross activities, most of the BMW participants are under about 40 years old. If they're going to do these races, they have to have quick reflexes and such, so a younger age can benefit that. VW participants will be younger, generally. Most of the vehicles they are competing in are the less expensive models (i.e., BMW 3-series) rather than the more expensive 5- or 7-series cars.

One hallmark of Ford Mustang advertising on the Hispanic networks has been people having fun in Fords. Some of that has happened on the USA networks, too, but not to the same extent. Remember the first Mustang commercials in 1965? Fun, Excitement, Popularity, "Build it like you want", the musical "Sweet Six Cylinder Mustang" commercial? Pontiac BUILT excitement, but Buick was more reserved, but equally capable. Unfortunately, many of the Buick owners who might remember when Buicks were exciting (in model choice, in color combinations--inside and out, in genuine performance, in prestige) DO have grayer hair now. It seems that when a BMW driver gets to be that age, they've graduated to a 7-series BMW and have retreated to the recliner, with all due respect.

BUICK is not dead, nor is General Motors, nor is the BCA, BPG, or GSCA. Excitement, now, is related to MP3 or USB ports plus satellite radio rather than 4bbl carbs and dual exhaust. Many open roads where a vehicle could be enjoyed and appreciated are now Interstates that are boring "cruise control" events. Throttle response and transmission actions are now "computer controlled" with no real feedback for the driver (unless WOT is activated), that "just a little more" going up a hill throttle feel is just not there. All other prior feedbacks have been muted from prior levels, too, so we just sit back and steer and watch the scenery go by.

BUICK still has some great products, just not as much pizzazzz as they did 50 years ago . . . but then FEW vehicles still have it, even if they are still true to their original product orientation of 60 years prior. Many in here might not aspire to own a new Buick, but that does not mean that others might now see Buick as "aspirational"--the same Buicks which we might not like ourselves. Unfortunately, the younger people who might see Buicks as aspirational are not capable of purchasing a new Buick at that time. So, we need to get them interested in Buicks they CAN afford and enjoy and cherish in the future.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

One hallmark of Ford Mustang advertising on the Hispanic networks has been people having fun in Fords. Some of that has happened on the USA networks, too, but not to the same extent. Remember the first Mustang commercials in 1965? Fun, Excitement, Popularity, "Build it like you want", the musical "Sweet Six Cylinder Mustang" commercial? Pontiac BUILT excitement, but Buick was more reserved, but equally capable. Unfortunately, many of the Buick owners who might remember when Buicks were exciting (in model choice, in color combinations--inside and out, in genuine performance, in prestige) DO have grayer hair now.

BUICK is not dead, nor is General Motors, nor is the BCA, BPG, or GSCA. Excitement, now, is related to MP3 or USB ports plus satellite radio rather than 4bbl carbs and dual exhaust. Many open roads where a vehicle could be enjoyed and appreciated are now Interstates that are boring "cruise control" events.

BUICK still has some great products, just not as much pizzazzz as they did 50 years ago . . . but then FEW vehicles still have it, even if they are still true to their original product orientation of 60 years prior. Many in here might not aspire to own a new Buick, but that does not mean that others might now see Buick as "aspirational"--the same Buicks which we might not like ourselves.

WOW,

You just hit on one of the fundamentals of Advertising 101: SHOW THE CONSUMER USING AND ENJOYING YOUR PRODUCT!!!

This applies for everything from toothpaste to new cars. For example, if you go back to the Buick brochures of the 1990's, you didn't see a PA or an Ultra with a sunroof open, you saw that car as it was going down the road with the sunroof open and a youngish late-30's to mid-40s driver BEHIND THE WHEEL ENJOYING THE CAR. This theme hasn't been used since Buick had that ridiculous theme of "The Official Car of the Supercharged Family" for the Regal.

No matter what brand of car, manufacturers used to show people (families, singles, women, children, etc.) using the car. Have you seen a brochure lately for a Lacrosse or Lucerne? Giant photos of a fender, a speaker grill, a gear shift knob, or the seam between a door and a fender. NO PEOPLE.

As long as Buick is trying to portray itself as the 'precision robot-built car' without people involvement, people (customers) will not visualize themselves using and enjoying the car. About the only time I remember people in GM commercials are models in a fake showroom pretending to be buying a car or a pseudo-cowboy throwing a saddle or bale of hay into the back of a Silverado.

C'mon, NEW GM. Wake up and put the fun people can have in your cars back into your ads and brochures. Rebuilding GM is much more involved than the latest 0% financing offer, or seeing a car with blacked-out windows rolling down a computer-generated highway.

Edited by Reatta Man (see edit history)

Guest windjamer

I would like to know where El-D gets his numbers from. I believe the AACA to be the largest auto club in the world and WE dont have that many 0s in our number. Now I know I have to send in my membership.

Even if 10 minutes is recommended for each car, if you also have to spend 15 minutes finding each vehicle on of the class the team is judging, that can make each vehicle's judging consume more like 30+ minutes.

With all due respect, I'm going to call you out on that exaggeration. The vast majority of the cars are properly registered and the judging captain should have the master judging sheet for each car. If you know what you are looking for, especially for the "expert" judges who consistently only judge one class, it shouldn't take anywhere near an average of 15 minutes to find a car on the show field. Besides, even if one is harder to find, you would probably go by others in the class that need to be judged, so stop and judge them first (of course, the senior cars are the exception to that as they are to be judged first). As it is, there are judging teams that are taking 20-30 minutes per car when they are all together.

Perhaps mixing things up is what is necessary to get these folks to listen to Pete and Alan when they say up to 10 minutes per car and don't kill the car.

Getting off soap box....

GSJohnny - I wouldn't call it analysis paralysis. We have had quite a variety of contributors, members and non-members, from a wide demographic, make comment in this thread. As a majority of our Board of Directors are members of this forum (actually, there is only one who I am unsure of, although I know another isn't a regular), hopefully they are getting some ideas and thoughts about this feedback from the membership. The reality is that, while this may not be a true demographic sampling of the general membership, there is quite a cross-section, so the input is valid. There are differences of opinion without it turning ugly...this implies to me that we are either grown up or that this topic is something we value. Besides, most of us aren't doing any analysis...we're just offering our thoughts and reacting to the thoughts of others.

Essentially we have 3 scenarios - one is to maintain the current level of membership...from the financial information we have seen, this provides insufficient revenue for our expenses, so either expenses need to be cut (difficult when nobody wants to make cuts to the Bugle), or revenues need to increase (dues increase which is already in place). The second is declining membership...this is a more difficult challenge, since it is hard to prepare for...what I mean by that is the size of decline may be difficult to predict, hence budgeting becomes more difficult. The best scenario is with increased membership. The easiest way to actually accomplish this is from the grass roots promotion. If each of us can talk to say 5 Buick owners who aren't members, and even if only one of them join, that would lead to a doubling of the membership. So, if we each talk to 5 folks, and one in 100 join, then we have on the order of 4-500 new members. I'd like to hope we could come up with better than a 1/100 join rate. But, if we all stuff our hands in our pockets, and tell the BoD that they had better do something about it, well, we may just be shooting ourselves in the foot.

OK, so you may be able to count a bit of simple math as analysis...but I'm still typing, so I'm not paralysed :rolleyes:

derek,

no offense taken on anything. i just wanted to point out what i perceived of the topic. but with 11 pages now, we should be starting to talk scenarios about what can or should be changed vs can't/won't be changed.

it's october and the spring shows will be here soon. if we make and implement changes(also need plan b,c,d etc) now, we can see the effect then. constant improvement will make all things a lot better.

john

Change can be a wonderful thing, lack of change can be very detrimental as can very fast change with out the communitcation. Go back to problem solving 101, 5 whys, anyone in their 40's or 50's has seen lots of change in their lives, folks in their later years may or may not accept it, younger folks only know what they grew up with, so hence the problem. How do we fix it? Well, take a kid to a car show, take a Buick to a High School and get a dealer to bring a Enclave or LaCrosse and you bring an old Buick to compare, take a Buick Race Car to a technical School or Community college, hook up with the Professor for the Auto department, and get the folks out to the drag races/road races, whatever. show them our web sites as boring as they might be, we see the USA from a different perpective than most tourists, car related stuff and history abound, Then there is always the eating together commardarie that goes with it! Make friends with anybody with a Buick, whether it's a beater or a greatly restored car, it doesn't matter, we all need to be Ambassadors for the Club, make a new friend, keep them for life! The BCA then survives!

roberta,

we took 3 cars to the ct chapter show. we dont take the keys out and if anybody is interested in the cars, we offer them the chance to get behind the wheel. i put a sign on the skyhawk racecar saying 'get in and try it'. it's funny watching them trying it out. but the kids love it. some adults too.

note; some people from the ct chapter asked me if we were bringing the hawk. we had to rush for 2 weeks to build a motor and installed it. all just for this show.

john

you coming to cecil?

I started this thread because I was concerned that all I was hearing was how the BCA won't survive unless we woo the younger set. Within the first page I discovered that there was a semantics issue. I was including myself as one of the older guys (at age 56). It seems many would view me as one of the younger people they want to keep. That was enlightening. Yes, this has reached 11 pages but the discouse here has been largely civil and only a few diversions away from the topic. Thank you all.

My hope is that those of you in local chapters take some of the ideas written here and try the ones you think will work. I don't truly fear the demise of the BCA in the immediate future. We have a strong foundation and, from what I see here, a willingness to find ways to help our club not only survive, but prosper. I have been lucky to have joined an inclusive and active local chapter, The Puget Sound Chapter. Our membership has been, and is still, growing. The key to our success has been putting on events that the membership wants. We have found that it takes the involvement of nearly every member to continue to put on these types of events. Getting people to join is only the beginning. If they are not engaged in the actual club management or volunteering to help, you will lose them soon. If you become cliquish and exclusive, your membership will wither and die with your older members. There has been some great ideas here. Let's embrace the opportunity to help our club.

Greg

Derek, no offense taken. My point was to illustrate the additional TRAVEL time involved for the judging team as they might traverse the show field in search of THEIR class of vehicles, all scattered out. Unless they might make a sweep of the show field first (more time?) to find where the vehicles on their list are parked, it would be "more time". My "travel time" value might have been a little high, but this was to illustrate that "other times" would be involved rather than just "judging time".

Also, it's been my observation that unless the judging team might be highly focused on finding their vehicles (not parked together), there is usually some stopping and looking at vehicles in other classes -- even IF the judging captain might not like them taking extra time to do that and request they not do it. Even if it might take just a minute to glance over such a vehicle on the way to the one they are to judge, those minutes can add up too. Multiply that by the number of members in the judging team and it soon becomes significant. Having the judging team to go to ONLY the class they are judging, directly rather than indirectly, will minimize such "sight seeing" and related delays.

I also see signals that you would have the vehicle parking unstructured to motivate the judging teams to be more expeditious in their judging activities (the 10 minute target time) rather than otherwise. I concur that if a team is taking 15-20 minutes to judge ONE vehicle, then they are trying to find deducts on a perfect vehicle (hopefully) and are really having to look to find them (to the entrant's credit!). IF that 20 minute stated time also includes the necessary paperwork generated for EACH vehicle, then it might not be as bad as it might sound.

To me, a key thing about judging ANY vehicle is to not "pick" the vehicle UNLESS you have to, due to high levels of competition in that particular class and/or the increasing levels of execution in the restoration process which seem to happen each year--by observation. Still, EACH vehicle in that class should receive the same degree of scrutiny--period. This can be where you see the differences in highly experienced judges, moderately experienced judges, "recently-new" judges, and future "in-observation training" judges for the class of vehicles being judged. I mention these levels of expertise as I know that judging teams tend to be a very diverse group, whose diversity can be mutually beneficial if handled correctly.

To me, having every vehicle in every class parked with the others in that particular class is more about efficient use of judging time than about "the show" itself. Fewer reasons for the judges to "sight see" on the way to their next vehicle to judge, too. To me, if it was about the spectator show, then all vehicles would be parked with their trunks closed, hoods down, and convertible tops "down", such that the great lines and beauty of the vehicles would be maximized rather than having then "open and exposed for all to see". As the 400 Point Judging show field is about the judges need to see everything on the vehicle, then the vehicles need to be "open" rather than "closed".

It could well be time to realign the class designation "letters" and the vehicles they represent in the judged show event. One possibility might be to put ALL prior Senior vehicles in one "showcase" section, regardless of class--make it something special and an honor others might aspire to.

The 400 Point Judging vehicles, which are not yet Seniors, would be parked by decades rather than model series per se. For example, all 1950s cars would start with model year 1950 and progress to the 1959 model year. In this scheme of things, as one walked the show field line, it would be from one end of the decade to the other, possibly with particular models of the same year parked beside each other or all of each model in that decade in one section of the line. In later years, this would also include the Reattas in the respective decade line.

In the 1960s decade line, it would progress from the 1960 models to also include the Buick compact, intermediate, muscle, and full-size vehicles in one progression toward model year 1969. In this situation, if the muscle car entrants wanted one section of the line for themselves, it could be arranged.

Something of this nature might accomodate the need for parking diversity and also keep the judging teams in their designated/desired areas for efficient judging activities. It would ALSO allow the spectators to find the vehicles they might be interested in seeing more easily while also showcasing the model year progressions of Buicks in all of their combined glory.

Similarly, the modified and archival class Buicks could have showcase areas similar to that of the existing Senior cars. Something to let them have some visibility for those interested in those things rather than normal 400 Point Judged vehicles. Hopefully, the end result would be that both spectators and judges could easily and quickly find the vehicles they desire or need to look at. Many spectators will not walk the entire show field, they'll just go to the vehicles they are interested in seeing--then they leave. Not unlike judging teams in search of particular classes to judge, then leave to put their paperwork together for presentation to "the judging room" operatives.

I offer this as a proposal, although it might contain some features already in place in some instances, but I suspect it has some features not currently in use. With the decreasing ability of GM to supply historic vehicles to our BCA National Meets (and other marque's similar meets), putting the existing Seniors in a place of honor and prominence might mask the fact that fewer GM historic vehicles were brought in for the meet. Having the modified and archival classes showcased in particular corners of the show field, with appropriate signage, can be done to help draw attention to them, although (as far as many BCA members are concerned) the "core event" show in "in the middle". Let spectators see so many special and nice Buicks on display that they do not notice the possible absence of any of GM's historic vehicle collection at the meet--until AFTER they leave.

We HOPE that everybody is proud of their Buick, so some added showmanship of sorts at the BCA National Meets for the vehicle show field might be in order. Something more than just a bunch of cars parked "on hallowed ground" with letter designation signs placed every so often (which the spectator has no "decode" for). Some national meets require the vehicle owners to have "spirit items" (sales brochures, manufacturer logo items from the model year of the vehicle, etc.) on display with/in/around the vehicle, but sometimes this makes it look a little cluttered such that you can't see the car for the items, seemingly. Mainly, the showmanship would be in spiffy signage for the designated classes--maybe even some balloons. Hopefully, the end result would be that spectators tell their friends how good things were and generated some positive "buzz" about the BCA as a good club for Buick enthusiasts to be a part of.

As far as "the age factor" goes, it does not matter which vehicle club or chapter it might be, members like to be around other members of their own general age, whether young or old or in-between. What THEY see is their perception of the group. BUT we can ALL BE FRIENDS regardless of our different ages! If the younger prospective members see older "mentors" (rather than otherwise!!!), who welcome them in "as family", then the age issue can melt away soon. If the older members might see the younger member as "You want a cherry old Buick to do WHAT with it???!!), that's not necessarily an age issue per se, but a "difference of orientation" in pursuit of Buick enthusiam not specifically related to chronological age. However we might pursue our Buick enthusiasm, we can ALL share information on the way to our desired "ultimate" Buick--old Buick or newer Buick--becoming reality.

To me, a major issue with any national-level vehicle meet is doing what you can to make it run efficiently, expeditiously, and still be fun for all. How the 400 Point Judging vehicles are parked on the show field is one component of that orientation, which ALSO relates to how efficiently and expeditously the judging admin operatives can do ALL of their many jobs, which relates to how the awards logistics can happen prior to the banquet that same evening.

Roy Faries' software programs have helped with the various judging and awards functions, immensely. In that whole chain of events, that leaves the judging activities themselves to be one of the remaining areas where more efficiencies of operations can be gained.

In that chain of thought, I know it is normal for a Judges Breakfast to happen on the morning prior to the judging activities beginning. As this function can be somewhat time-consuming, it might also be a little too much of a social function that ends up delaying the completion of judging activities themselves. This is also a significant overhead cost for the host chapter. Perhaps . . . each judge being responsible for their own breakfast (including the reason that some might need "different" dietary items than those provided), then arrive at the appointed staging area for coffee and doughnuts/rolls for the final "pep talk" and instructions prior to the start of judging activities? When they finish their assigned judging functions, then there would be a "brunch" area to relax in before returning to "meet particpant" status . . . at which time their judging pins would also be passed out by their team captain. Job completed . . . relax . . . reward . . . "gone".

Enjoy!

NTX5467

A lot of great ideas and thinking going on here,great thread!

Since I'm up on my dues,here's my two cents.INCLUSION!Understand that the common thread is the Buick.Restored,hot rodded or modified should all be welcomed and appreciated by all,I believe it is that simple.

The ideas relating to the show field on the post above are great in my opinion,the layout of the show should be inviting to the spectators and easy to follow.Being that Buick survived the axe,they may be willing to spend some ad money in the few years to come,the BCA could capitalize on that if that was to be the case,lets not just think that support is waning.

Reaching out to other organized Buick groups would be something that may help membership.Groups like the GS Club of America(GSCA),Buick Performance Group(BPG),internet sites like V8Buick and Team Buick,to name a couple,are full of very passionate Buick owners and admirers.Many of those people are BCA members but most are not.I've seen some chatter already initiated on the BPG board and think that it is a good aproach.

Remember that for a lot of people "The Buick Bugle" is why they pay their dues for,keep the good work there(special thanks to Pete Phillips).

Finally,I've been a member for a couple of years and joined because I wanted to find people interested on the Buicks close to me,all my friends in the hobby are passionate about Fords and Chevrolets(which I was with for about 20 yrs.).I will prepay for 3 more years when my dues are up in Nov of '09.I hope to see some good things coming but if not,that will do it for me.I'm 45 and I drive Buick clunkers:D.

GSJohnny - your explanation now makes more sense to me. Thanks for the clarification.

NTX - I would love to believe that the judges are taking their time, but it doesn't make sense to me. I have seen judging teams that average 20 minutes per car, then hand out a bunch of bronze awards. That to me is not trying to find fault in a perfect car. That is closer to killing the car. Now, if we introduced concours style judging with white gloves looking for dust, then I can appreciate it taking longer and trying to find fault. However, this isn't a competition between cars, it is trying to measure a car against a standard - that standard being as the car left the factory. It may be possible that I'm the one who doesn't understand the 400 point system, but every year I seem to come across folks who refuse to subject their cars to the judging.

As another stated, I agree that I don't see the imminent demise of the BCA. However, the club is what we, the membership, make of it. If we aren't inclusive and try to drum up support, then the BCA will have a harder time. We need to be visible, positive about the club, and willing to share and discuss membership with non-members.

I always have more to say, but I have to run....

Derek, I fully concur that the 400 Point System is NOT a concours-style judging system. The problem can be that some like to perceive that ALL cars leaving the factory were perfect in all respects . . . when they were not, in reality, "perfect". The current production vehicles more closely meet that standard, though, by observation.

The gap between what people like to remember and what the vehicles really were like at the end of the assemblyh line tends to get cloudy when "over-restoration" enters the mix. Some brands of vehicles, from memory, had really smoooooth paint jobs from the factory whereas others did not--even GM vehicles. When I was researching car waxes in the middle 1970s, I discovered that Volvos had really smooth paint, as did many Cadillac DeVilles, but other brands' paint had more orange peel in it. In reality, the orange peel is there to hide stamped metal imperfections, so it's "calibrated" to be what it is. As for orange peel on more modern cars, even the "highly lauded" brands have it, by observation.

I also understand that in the 400 Point System, "the standard" is what vehicles are judged against rather than the other vehicles on the show field THAT DAY (usually how many, more popular weekend cruise events are judged--which is what most people understand). "The Standard" is "end of the assembly line", which CAN include but not be limited to . . . mis-aligned sheet metal panels, mis-aligned chrome trim, drips in windshield sealer, drips or messy weatherstrip sealer, thin paint in particular areas, non-consistent sound deadener/undercoat applications, AND any and all inspection marks/stamps/notations. ALMOST everything in that list would be things that would be "perfectized" in the restoration process by many restorers, understandbly, as they want the vehicles to look as good as they can--even if it's better than it left the factory. No harm in these "perfectized" vehicles, but they soon become what the public expects every other one to look like, otherwise, somebody screwed up in not doing that. The other major indiscretion is shiney paint where low-gloss paint was on the vehicle at the factory.

By observation, many "end of the assembly line cars" would only score 70-80% IF they were judged against the perfection standard many spectators and some owners believe is "the standard". To me, unless you've been around the vehicles enough to know what "end of the assembly line condition/execution" was, the default mode becomes "perfection as we'd like to remember it should have been". What about factoring in what the "new" vehicle looked like after it sat on the dealer's lot for a month, after sitting in a rail yard a while before that? Some "acceptable" surface rust on unprotected/uncoated metal on the undercarriage? Cobwebs??? Little remnants of the plastic covering for the seats still hanging between the top of the rear seatback and the package tray?

If we look at the "end of the assembly line" standard, that could also include the many "little things" that a dealer's pre-delivery service would take care of . . . like greasy hand smudges or fingerprints on the body or chrome or a string of grease which bled out of the grease fitting on the chassis, or a remaining blob of grease on said fitting. Just WHICH nits do we desire to pick? If the "perfectized" end of the assembly line condition is "the standard", then only trailered vehicles would win the top awards? To me, such things would be part of the judges training sessions and instructions, with all due respect.

To me, what we're trying to accomplish with the 400 Point System is to maintain historic evidence of what Buicks looked like "as built", rather than as over-restored vehicles which are NOT totally correct "as produced" in all respects. Personally, I'd rather see a correctly-restored vehicle that was driven to the meet than one which was completely over-restored and trailered, or a completely original "un-molested" low mileage vehicle of any vintage. Which one would, by observation, be the one that was "OOHHHHHed" and "AAAHHHHHed" over would be the trailered vehicle, usually.

Personally, I don't desire that we have a concours-style "white glove" judged show class. Still, it seems that we already have it in some respects.

A research project might be to investigate WHY it might take some judging teams 20 minutes to judge one vehicle? IF all of that 20 minutes was in actual judging time or if it also included the actual "documentation" time for each vehicle? Only when this information is accumulated might there be a solid determination of the real reason for the extended time the judging teams might be taking with each vehicle--regardless of what level of awards such judging teams might bestow upon the judged vehicles. NO offense meant to any judging team that might have taken that long, just some inquiries if there might be some issues which need to be addressed in the orientation of continuous improvement.

Respectfully,

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

For years, I have been a member of the BCA and the ROA but I didn't renew my subscriptions. As I live in Canada, having the Bugle shipped here is more expensive and that reflects in the price of the subscription.

I wish I could pay a membership fee and have access to the Bugle online but not the printed version. Before internet was popular (discussion forums, eBay, Cragislist, Kijiji and other classified ad websites) , the club's monthly or bi-monthly magazines with ads were a great way to get members and help them find parts with the printed ads. Now, with internet, it lost some of it's interest. I still like to read articles in magazines but since I don't like throwing things away, I now have a big pile paper that I just keep and I don't want getting more!

About the age of members...

I'm 32 and even if I'm already getting some gray hair, I still find myself young!

I have a few friends who are Buick fans and around my age. When I was 10 years old (in 1987) I was very impressed with the current Buick Grand National and I also looked older ones like Wildcats, Rivieras, Gran Sports and Electras with great interest.

With today's lineup, and the last cool Buicks being 23 years old (older than the '65 Wildcats were when I first got a real interest in them!). I'm wondering if I'd care about any Buick if I'd be 10 years old now!

I recently spent more internet time on other forums like GMI trying to change the brand perception of younger folks posting there and on GM blogs but GM keeps refusing to make any cool RWD Buick available here. The new brand definition from GM uses words like "Quiet Tuning" (far from the 1966-67 "The tuned car" ad slogan) understated elegance (I don't care much for that!) "near luxury" (that sounds loser!) and other things like the innovative blind zone alert for drivers above 100 years old... I want a new Buick that can spin it's rear tires, make some noise and that will wake up those that fall asleep while driving by making their heart beat faster!

I noticed that I'm not alone wanting some nicer RWD products from my favourite brand but that's just not happening (and THAT also hurts the BCA). I had one newer FWD Buick that I hated so much that I'll never have another FWD vehicle. Now, to preserve the Buicks that I like, I stopped driving them daily and I now drive RWD Toyotas...

I concur that "near luxury" should be "entry level luxury", with "near luxury" sounding like a pretender of sorts. Not a very nice description for many USA brand vehicles which, for decades, many have considered to be "luxury" vehicles in their respective brands. It seems that whomever came up with that description was aiming for a general pricepoint rather than to degrade any brand's reputation in a particular market segment. The reference point for "luxury" also seemed to be moved upward from Cadillac and Lincoln, also.

Personally, I never really did consider BMW and Mercedes to be "luxury" vehicles, but import vehicles with high levels of chassis performance and somewhat austere leather interiors. In many cases, the pricepoints some are at would indicate a certain level of "luxury", though.

In the case of USA brands and the seeming mindset of many USA vehicle buyers, European vehicles have always held a certain aura about them, exotic in some cases. Their exclusivity and low available numbers seemed to accentuate that. In some aspects, they were better than USA brand vehicles, but in other ways, they were inferior for use in the USA market (think a/c capacity, speciality parts not available any where else, unusual maintenance issues). So, as their prices crept upward for their higher-level models, their level of standard/available equipment had to increase to what a vehicle costing that much would be expected to have on it. "Luxury" soon had additional definitions! More recently, "luxury" is as much defined by pricepoints as it is by brand name.

By 1965, each of GM's brands had a "luxury" car in the lineup. The mid-year introduction of the 1965 Chevrolet Caprice is the most notable example (Cadillac-style luxury at a Chevrolet price). It also tended to stop the upward mobility from one GM brand to another as a consumer's "standing in life" increased with their disposable income. There had always been "the best" versions of Chevrolet (BelAir, then Impala), Pontiac (Bonneville), Olds (98), and Buick (Roadmaster, then Electra, etc.), with Cadillac still being at the top as "Cadillac", but the introduction of the '65 Caprice tended to cause rumblings at Cadillac for many years. Basically, if you liked Chevrolets and what driving a Chevrolet said about you, you could keep doing business with your friendly dealer as your wealth increased by purchasing a Caprice ("The Master Chevrolet"). In some respects, the "understated luxury" hiding in a lesser GM brand than Cadillac mirrored what Buick had been doing for many years, except that Chevrolet was now in that game too, for a whole new breed of customers! Then, a few years later, came Monte Carlo to widen that market segment.

"Quiet Tuning" is a more comprehensive approach to vehicle sound generation and control for the newer unit-body vehicles, which Buick "got first" at GM. Other than just rubber body mounts or where sound deadener is applied, it now also includes the types of materials and where they are used throughout the vehicle.

There there were the earlier "Computer Selected Springs" of the middle 1970s, where there might be five different part number of particular coil springs for GM vehicles depending upon the mix of options and their respective front/rear weights. The aim was to keep the ride and such constant regardless of the option load of the vehicle--might have been splitting hairs in some respects, but they are still doing it now.

End result, the traditional lines of what is "luxury" and what is otherwise have been highly blurred from what we knew it to be 30 years ago. In many respects, what now passes as "high end luxury" would not hold a candle to what "LUXURY" was in the 1960s and 1970s!

Regards,

NTX5467

I've just gotten my renewal letter from the BCA. It's setting on my desk awaiting my decision but I'm pretty sure it's final resting place will be the waste basket. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is the dues increase to $50. Add to this my disinterest in later year cars of any make, and the relative "sameness" of every issue of the Bugle and it's a fatal combination for the club. The "sameness" of every issue of Hemmings Classic Car has also sealed it's fate.

Sorry, BCA. But there it is......................Bob

Not trying to get in a P***ing contest here. I realize it must be very difficult to put out a magazine that seems fresh and interesting to a very diverse group every month but, to me, it has become somewhat boring.

There are lots of pictures of "featured" cars. That's OK but pictures of cars get boring after awhile. The photo spreads of dozens of cars at shows are just dozens of photos of cars. Stories about tours are all the same. All you need do is change the names and places. Articles about how someone has "found" their fathers long lost Buick are nice, maybe once. How about the president's message saying something other than " Let's all pull togrther to make a great Club"

Personally I'd be more interested in historical pieces, problem solving, product reviews, VERY interesting restorations (not just a bunch of pix of rusty floors and primered fenders), how about how unusual restoration problems were solved, etc etc etc. Even gossip about past Buick executives, labor strife, goon squads beating workers. Anything but another 12 pictures of 12 different 55 Buicks.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm throwing stones. I'm not. I fully realize the club's resources are limited and it would be very time consuming, and probably impossible, for the editor to do that by himself. Perhaps if some of the membership would provide more than pretty pix and similar stories there would be hope. That's unlikely.

Again, this is just the way I see it and it is purely opinion.

Respectfully............Bob Beck.

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Well here are a positive things that are happening.

1. Chapter membership drive. Each chapter director received a letter detailing a chapter membership drive program and an incentive to the chapter who attracts the most new members to the BCA.

2. A new chapter approved in a major metropolitan area - South FL -see this link for details http://forums.aaca.org/f115/new-bca-chapter-south-florida-270436.html#post694183

3. Creating a list of best practice for attracting new members - I have slowly been contacting each chapter director via phone and discussing their chapter and how they attract membership. I am compiling this info and will be sending it back out to the chapter directors. Our local leaders in our chapters do a great job and have great ideas that need to be shared across the whole club. I have talked to all but one chapter directors in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Regions and will start making my way west. My goal is to complete this by the end of my first year on the BOD.

4. Working with the North Jersey Chapter to restrengthen this chapter which has fallen on hard times. Like South FL this is a major metropolitan area that we need a strong chapter in to attract more members.

So those are some things being done to help the cause!

With all due respect, Bhigdog, where you might see "sameness", I see inspiration from the actions of others finding "the impossible to find car" and making it useable again . . . in a generally "as produced" condition. Plus how much they might enjoy driving it. "Hope" and "Inspiration" for others to follow their dreams of having a particular Buick in their lives. Over time, the other sort of articles (less the "gossip" subjects) have been in The Bugle, just not all at once OR the particular subjects one might be interested in.

Where you might see "sameness", I also see a huge amount of historical information on Buicks and the people who built them . . . and the people that still drive vintage Buicks. Yes, I read it even if it might not be something I'm interested in "right now". I also know that with the limits within which The Bugle must be produced (i.e., number of pages, amount of color) within the particular bid contract, not everything which might be desired can be in there each month.

From what I understand, the latest dues increase is different from prior dues increases as THIS dues increase is to allow The Bugle to stay pretty much as it has been . . . rather than cover administrative costs of the BCA itself. When I looked at what other similar clubs (to the BCA) had to offer their membership for the same (prior membership dues levels) dues price, it became highly evident that the BCA's dues, while they might seem a little high, are a tremendous value compared to the other clubs' prices.

In prior times, every time a BCA National Dues increase has been alluded to, the membership got all up in arms to protest each one. End result was dues increases were not implemented, even at $5.00/year, until absolutely necessary. Each time, there was dialogue that it would make the BCA dues "too high for me", with all due respect. This time, though, from what I understand happened at the recent CO BCA National Meet meetings, with the choice of a "lesser" club magazine or higher dues, the vast majority of the membership chose "higher dues" to "Save The Bugle", as a result of lower BCA national memberships in recent history.

I also understand that there is a "tipping point" at which members can and will make a determination of whether the total amount of chapter dues + BCA National Dues become too much for the individual member unit. "Sticker shock" is still alive and well!

Many in "the outside world" do not understand why it's necessary for a chapter member to also be a BCA National Member, as many would perceive the local chapter to be similar to what the prospective member might know about themselves (i.e., local independent car clubs). Being able to effectively explain this to them can be a daunting task! In any event, we have to show them "the value" of the situation and not focus on the total dollar amount of the situation. If "the value" they are looking for happens to coincide with "the value" the BCA and the local chapter have to offer AND can deliver on, it can be a mutually beneficial situation!

Like Bhigdog and many other BCA members, I have a somewhat diverse vintage (and somewhat semi-worthless) vehicle fleet. Over the years, I have allowed all of the regular car magazines I used to subscribe to to drop . . . mainly for economic reasons PLUS lack of archival space. If I see one I'm interested in, I will buy it. That makes "The Bugle" the only car magazine I get each month by yearly subscription. WPC has a great monthly magazine too, but I allowed that membership to drop (for economic reasons) a few years ago. I suspect I'll renew it in a year or so when my "available funding" increases.

One of the surprising things which came out of the 1999 Chapter Directors' Meeting at Kokomo was that when existing chapter officers had to leave (or rotate "out" due to work or other issues), the incoming officers had little knowledge of how to run a car club entity. Therefore, over a two year period, Chapter Coordinator Ms. Judy Leets put together a "How To Run A BCA Chapter" document. It was pretty basic, but covered the basics of effective chapter operation.

By observation, the position of Chapter Coordinator has been somewhat problematic. One person is replaced due to "lack of activity". The replacement is energetic about getting the job done, but then something fizzles in a year or so OR there are clashes of personalities (somewhere, regardless of job perfomance), so that person goes off to do something else as a new replacement is sought. Unfortunately, by observation, this scenario has repeated itself several times since the middle 1990s--no long term stability per se. Respectfully, I hope the last change will offer that long term stability and oversight.

Although the members of the BCA might have a common interest in and enthusiasm for Buick vehicles, each chapter is a unique entity due to the different people involved. What one chapter might enjoy doing would be not received very well by another chapter, for example. Trying to make them all fit the same mold for activities and such can be very frustrating and sub-optimal. Letting each chapter's membership find their own level of what they like to do and how they like to do it usually works best . . . but finding that level can be a massive moving target which is "cut and try" and take some time to achieve.

"Sameness" can be a comfort to many, but stretching some boundaries every now and then can be fun and beneficial. I also know that "sameness" can also be a "point of reference" situation, too. In prior times, The Bugle was much more predictable in its layout. You could count on a car feature being on a certain page and only a few pages long. The same advertisers would be in the same location each month, in the magazine. You could count on the pictures all being slightly fuzzy (for one reason or another). At that time, the membership seemed to perceive the then-Editor was doing a great job, but in an open hearing upon his performance, many other "invisible unless you were involved" issues were brought to light.

Then we got a new Editor and things were supposed to be better, which they generally were . . . for a while. Then Pete took the job and the quality has never been better . . . quality of publication, quality of layouts, quality of member-supplied articles, and the quality of the car articles featured each month. Having seen how these things are now much better than ever before . . . from my point of reference, going back for 20+ years . . . the magazine has come a really long way with little real increase in production costs, all things considered.

Still, what pays the BCA's bills is membership dues. While the BCA might not be anywhere near being financially depleted, there's no real reason why deficit operations should be "the norm". Hopefully, in a year or so, the BCA's membership numbers will begin increasing to prior levels, but probably not up to 2003-2004 levels. If the Dow-Jones Averages can rebound to 10K, so can the BCA's membership levels!

Brian, I applaude your drive and energy to get a feel of what's going on in each BCA chapter!

Regards,

NTX5467