Hard Top Trim

Guest {TC}DH

Guest {TC}DH

Im a full time college student with little time and even less money. On top of that I dont know much about cars or how to fix them. recently the small trim that runs along the bottom edge of the hard top has begun to come loose. What would ya'll recommend as far as fixing it? Do i need to remove the whole trim, and replace the adhesive which im assuming is epoxy? or am I completely off?

Thanks, DH

I would use a tube of BLACK 3M weather strip adheasive to fix it. Wear some cheapy disposable gloves, use just a little and hold the trim in place with masking tape for a few hours unit the adhesive dries. 3M also makes a 'Gorilla snot' yellow color, I would avoid that stuff as there is always a bit of excess and it looks obvious that a fix had taken place...

Alan

Guest My TC Toy

If you are refering to the coloured trim, I would attempt to remove it entirely. If some of it is coming off, chances are it is all loose. Clean the old adhesive the best you can and put on 3M double sided body tape. A 1/4" wide X 50' roll should cost only about $10 at your local parts store.

Make certain that you install it correctly on the first attempt because that stuff tends to not want to come off. You'll still have lots left over.

Good luck.

Guest TC42-MRP

On a related question. Would you also do the same fix technique on the trim over the back corner brake light? I noticed over the weekend that the end of the trim is lifting off. :mad:

Guest My TC Toy

You will find that in todays' vehicles no trim is held on by clips, like in the "good ol' days". Any trim today is attached by body tape, 3M being probably the best. I am not at home now to look at the trim you refer to, however check that it is not part of the tail light, if not you will probably find the old tape has failed.