47 Fleetwood Caddy-instrument panel

Guest Kuwak

The dash panel lights of my 47 Caddy do not work - the only light that comes on is the red dot for the bright light indicator. I know they are controlled by the switch for the head lights - is they any way to check to see if that switch has gone bad? I also can not find the lights in the panel - where are they? Thanks for any help .....

Guest p foley

The light switch is also the instrument light switch. Turning the knob clockwise will turn on the lights. If the dash lights don't come on then the rheostat (responsible for dimming or brightening the dash lights) may not be functioning. The rheostat is located at the front of the light switch. It is a coiled wire internal to a ceramic dish. To remove the light switch get under the dash and study the switch. There is either a spring that is depressed and then the knob is pulled out. Another variation is to insert an instrumet like an ice pick into the switch

which pushes against a spring and once lifted the knob can be pulled out. Once the knob is removed insert an allen wrench and loosen the chrome trim. I do not know if this is covered in any shop manual or not. Whatever you do do not try to pull the knob out with brute force. Needless to say, diconnnect the ground (negative) before doing any of these things.

Hope this helps,

Paul

The light switch is also the instrument light switch. Turning the knob clockwise will turn on the lights. If the dash lights don't come on then the rheostat (responsible for dimming or brightening the dash lights) may not be functioning. The rheostat is located at the front of the light switch. It is a coiled wire internal to a ceramic dish. To remove the light switch get under the dash and study the switch. There is either a spring that is depressed and then the knob is pulled out. Another variation is to insert an instrumet like an ice pick into the switch

which pushes against a spring and once lifted the knob can be pulled out. Once the knob is removed insert an allen wrench and loosen the chrome trim. I do not know if this is covered in any shop manual or not. Whatever you do do not try to pull the knob out with brute force. Needless to say, diconnnect the ground (negative) before doing any of these things.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul...are you the same Paul Foley from the San Diego area who has/had a 1937 LaSalle convertible sedan?

Paul - thanks for the info - I will certainly give it a try and let you know if it works. It will be nice to have them light up and not have to have my wife holding a flash light on the panel at night -

Kuwak (Ed)

The dash panel lights of my 47 Caddy do not work - the only light that comes on is the red dot for the bright light indicator. I know they are controlled by the switch for the head lights - is they any way to check to see if that switch has gone bad? I also can not find the lights in the panel - where are they? Thanks for any help .....

It's very common for the rheostat to make poor or no contact. This is true of most makes not just Caddy. The actual rheostat is a phosphor bronze wiper that rides on a nichrome "spring". The culprit is usually corrosion. If you are at all handy and very careful the rheostat can usually be taken apart and the wiper and wound wire VERY LIGHTLY bead blasted. That usually fixes the problem at no cost...........Bob