tool for interior trim inverted nuts

KrisHowie

I'm bringing up an old topic I posted months ago. I wanted to replace some of the interior door trim on my 89 Reatta and was trying to find a tool to remove the inverted nuts. I had no such luck so my dad, a machinist by hobby, made me a tool. It works great! A photo of it is attached.

If anyone is in need of such a tool, I can connect you with my dad. I don't know what he'd charge but I'm sure it wouldn't be much as he enjoys doing that sort of thing and he'll make it out of scrap. Send me a PM.

post-63407-143138104215_thumb.jpg

Hey Nic!

I also got your PM. Per your request, here's the original thread.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/interior-trim-inverted-nuts-256148.html

I just now saw that Barney and some other folks posted replies. Life got really busy for me for a while so I put all Reatta business aside for several months. Last night was the first time I've logged on to the forums in quite a while.

You asked for an update.... My husband was transferred from CENTCOM in Tampa to NS Mayport in Jacksonville this past June, so the Reatta lives in Jax now. She is happy to finally have an enclosed garage to live in! Before leaving Tampa, we had an all new air conditioner put in the Reatta. I also managed to finally replace that interior trim that I wrote about - thanks to my dad's lathe work. The Reatta is still my daily driver, although I only drive it 2 or 3 days a week since I'm unemployed right now. I have seen a couple around Jax and will jot down their VINs for Barney next time I see one parked.

Good to hear from you!

Kristen

Guest Road mister

This caught my eye because I will be addressing a crackling door speaker soon and will be searching threads and tutorials for panel removal tips to avoid the forcing of plastic and what ever, specifically on an 89. In past situations were I have snapped something or inherited someone else s screw up I have found great success using one of those inexpensive plastic heat stick guns for the repair. I don't want to use the word glue gun, because you actually are melting plastic to repair plastic, and it works much better than any glue in some situations.

Also this tool, I jumped threads and saw the diagram, pretty slick. Brings to mind a long nut Ive used to join two pieces of threaded rod, sold at most hardware stores. It may need to be drilled out some and may not come in 8mm, but if its close enough and these screws aren't tight, I can see it working.

Again I'm looking for the tutorial on panel removal, im sure this is a common request.

Thanks, John

Edited by Road mister
Spelling (see edit history)

I just spoke to my dad last night. I'll be visiting him over Labor Day weekend and will take my tool back to him so he can size it and copy it. He'll figure out what it costs him to make and ship it and will let me know so I can get back in touch with everyone who requested a tool. I'll be in touch soon.....

Thanks, Kristen

Guest Road mister

Great site, very helpful. I am still unsure about the black cover on the inside of the door mirror. Is that part of the panel or separate? How does that come off? I am assuming the top part of the panel is hooked on, and I have to lift UP, to get it off. That black box seems to be in the way?