Sign in to follow this  
MochetVelo

"Prewar Auto Notes" Calls It Quits

I received a letter today from Keith Mathiowetz, publisher/editor or Prewar Auto Notes magazine, saying that the magazine has ceased publication after 16 issues. I was sorry to hear this. I'm glad he gave it a try, however, and I enjoyed the magazine.

Phil

This is too bad. I subscribed and was hoping he would make a go of it, but it is tough to compete out there. Nice content but not a cheap subscription at $40, B&W, lighter paper stock and no poly bag so each month so I would end up getting a shredded issue. Tough to justify. Also I am sure timing did not help either, it probably has not been a good year and a half for any type of start up. :-(

I also got my notice today.Sad, as I also enjoyed the magazine, but trying to publish a periodical without advertising revenue is most difficult in these trying times. Also Keith is a first class gentlemen, a credit to any business, as a check accompanied the letter as a return of my unused subscription. Thanks Keith and good luck!! Bob

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with both Keith and his dad while walking at Hershey a few years ago.

Steve, you are correct, and I agree that they are both super people.

I, too, am sorry to see the loss of "Prewar Auto Notes".

Keith who I have the opportunity and pleasure to work with since we are both Amphicar Club board members, and a person I consider a friend, this is sad news. Keith's attention to detail is impeccable and his knowledge of antique vehicles and the hobby in general is right there with the best of them. This had to be a difficult decision for sure and extremely hard to let go of your lifelong dream.

Prewar Auto Notes sure didn't fail based on content or lack of effort on anyone's part in my opinion. The hobby has lost its only magazine devoted to the prewar niche market. Possibly this is the sign of the times and economy, or simply there just isn't enough of us left in the hobby that are interested in the older stuff. I hope this isn't the case however it will be interesting to see if another publication ever arises that is devoted stickily to the prewar vehicles. $40 a year with no advertisements to wade through and excellent content sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

He needed help,advertising,The magazine was great,sorry to see it go.I hope he ,or someone else comes out with a mag half as good as he did.

Like everyone I am very sad to see this fine magazine go. I subscribed to three magazines. Of course the AACA magazine, Hemmings Classic Cars and this one. Now I'm down to two. I sure hope someone else picks up the ball and runs with it. There are a lot of us pre-war car fans out there who want to restore and drive something that you just don't see anymore. Everyone's into muscle cars nowadays, but to enjoy a ride in a genuine early automobile to see what the technology was of the day is something else. Just drive a pre-war and see how many thumbs up you get from everyone that passes. I have every issue of Prewar Auto Notes and will enjoy them for awhile to come. You did a great job Keith!

It sure wasn't for lack of promotion as there were ads in all the major magazines including Antique Auto. Prewar was also well represented at many major meets such as Hershey, etc.

Hard copy publication, newspaper, magazine or otherwise is a dying business. Hemmings was the bible for as long as I can remember. It is now 50% filler and an afterthought.

It's sad in many cases but just the way things are going.