Weird Rattling + ABS Light

Guest elky

Hello, I want to ask you guys about a peculiar problem my 89 reatta has developed.

Recently I've noticed a rattling noise coming from the back of the car when I go over bumps. Oddly enough the noise does not occur on every bump but when it does its a very loud clunky sound.

Shortly after the noise began, the ABS light keeps going off while driving and it will intermittently activate the ABS for no good reason while braking. This does not happen at every brake but it happens 70%+ of the time.

I took the car the mechanic today and he let me know that after checking the underside of the car that everything seemed to be properly attached with nothing loose or odd sticking out.

ECM does not show any errors. Any guesses as to what might be the problem?

Edited by elky (see edit history)

Guest Greg Ross

A specific bump you go over and get the rattle every time, try touching the brake pedal and see if the rattle stops.

Very common on this era of GM with rear disc brakes to have the calipers/ pads rattling.

Try that and let us know.

I agree with Greg, it's possible one of the rear (inner) brake pads broke loose from it's retainer. If it did, it would rattle or clunk, and could possibly activate the ABS light.

Hmm I will look into the brake pads. There's always the possibility that these two problems are unrelated but it seemed like too much of a coincidence to me.

Guest C.F.Massie

You are definitely experiencing the dreaded "Rear Brake Rattle Syndrome" of which we Reatta owners are all too aware of, so go to the search function on the forum and type in Brake Rattle and you will find a plethora of info.