1923 Buick Fuel Problem

southjk

<TABLE class=tborder2 id=post678128 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=175>

</TD><TD class=alt3 id=td_post_678128><!-- google_ad_section_start -->1923 Buick Stewart Vacuum Fuel Pump<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have a fuel starvation problem in my 1923 Buick that uses a Stewart Vacuum fuel pump. I have replaced all gaskets abd throughly cleaned and installed new springs in the Fuel pump. I have completley dissabssembled the Marvel carb ,replaceed float and all new gaskets. Fuel tank has been completed refurbed with internal coating. I have been testing with the gas cap off as I though my problem was related to venting.

Anyways.. I prime the fuel pump with a few cups of fuel. The car runs great for about 5 minutes then runs out of gas doesn't appear to be sucking gas from tank. Any suggestions?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Southjk, check the fitting where the gas line attaches to the vacuum tank. When you remove it you will see that it has two holes where the gas comes out. If these are not aligned with the openings in the tank, then the gas cannot flow into the tank. How do I know, well, had the same problem as you. I forgot to make sure that the holes on both the tank and fitting lined up.

Also I had a air leak on the banjo fitting where it goes into the tank, hence I was pulling air not fuel. Had to re-soder the gas line into the fitting.

Finally, I installed a see through plastic filter near the tank to see the fuel being sucked into the tank. This at least assured me that I was getting fuel. I then replaced the plastic one with a period glass filter.

Hope all this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

post-48480-143138103526_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313810353_thumb.jpg

I can pump gas into the fuel pump tank via an electric fuel pump.I have sinced bypassed the electric fuel pump because I thought that the vacuum wasnt strong enough to suck through hte electric fuel pump. but know change.I could have air leaks though.interesting that when I remove the top of the float bowl cover and observe the float as gas is consumed and float drops no gas enters the carb. then as the engine dies from starvation fuel enters the carb.

Then are you sure you are getting vacuum to the tank? I would make sure the connections on the intake manifold and the fuel vacuum tank are tight. If it is not sucking fuel, then you have to be taking in air someplace. Start from the front and check each fitting. Hopefully, something is just not tight and you are loosing vacuum.

I must have a leak somewhere..The connections are tight but must not seal. I've tried teflon tape but it seems to work out the threads. Maybe Ill try some thread compound. I hadn't thought about a air leak at the fuel supply coming into the vacuum tank but I've got new coper washer that came with a gasket kit.

thanks

I had the same issue when I first got my Pierce. First problem was a vacuum leak due to deteriorated rubber hose to the windshield wipers. I fixed that and drove the car which created the second problem, a loose tailpipe bracket crushed the fuel line against the frame! Check out everything.

great photos. I think Ill do the same setup for a downtube air vent .Minne uses the port next to the vacuum connection. Having the visible fuel bowl inboard of the vacuum tank is a great idea. I think I saw a filter/bowl setup like that available at Tractor Supply.

thanks

Southjk,

Try putting a vacuum gauge on the vent tupe from the vacuum tank. Watch to see if you have vacuum when the carburetor runs out of fuel. If so, your valves in the lid of the vacuum tank are leaking.

You can also attach a piece of rubber tubing to the vent tube of the vacuum tank and blow or suck on it to see if any air is passing through that line when the vacuum tank is empty. You can do this with the tank installed or with the lid removed.

If you have a leak, the fix is to lap the valves. I use brass polishing compound made into a past using thinner. I do not use valve grinding compound as I feel it is too course, even if it is the finest compound. The object is to cut the corosion and polish the surfaces, not grind the valves smaller.

If you do not have a problem with the vacuum tank, your local garage can pump red smoke into the gas tank to find any leaks.

I use 2 washers on the inlet fitting of the tank.

I only use one gasket on the lid with permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket.

The plug for the tank inlet on my carf has a grove around it where the 2 inlet holes are located so that nomater where the holes are, the gas can pas through the grove to go into the tank.

Call me any time if you want to ask questions 562 644-4670

Fred