1923 Buick Stewart Vacuum Fuel Pump

Guest southjk

Guest southjk

I have a fuel starvation problem in my 1923 Buick that uses a Stewart Vacuum fuel pump. I have replaced all gaskets abd throughly cleaned and installed new springs in the Fuel pump. I have completley dissabssembled the Marvel carb ,replaceed float and all new gaskets. Fuel tank has been completed refurbed with internal coating. I have been testing with the gas cap off as I though my problem was related to venting.

Anyways.. I prime the fuel pump with a few cups of fuel. The car runs great for about 5 minutes then runs out of gas doesn't appear to be sucking gas from tank. Any suggestions?

Guest 1928Packard526

Southjk —

The description of your problem with your '23 Buick fuel pump is an echo of my experience with my '29 Lincoln. I have also done all the things you have done and not solved my problem either. I have an advantage though in that Lincoln uses a very large outer chamber for their Stewart-Warner pump so I am able to cover the distance to town and back before I have to refill, (prime), my pump again. :)

I thought I had my problem solved when I found the vent passage in the cover totally blocked with old gasoline residue such that the vacuum could not be released when the valving mechanism opened to atmosphere. Fixing that had no effect, but you might check that your cover internals are not so blocked.

I also have a '28 Packard that uses the same Stewart-Warner fuel pump system and after a good cleaning and regasketing some 20 years ago it has worked flawlessly without any problems ever since. I really believe in that fuel pump system. It's simplicity and reliability will make a believer out of you too, once you solve your current problem. I wish I could help. I will be watching to see if someone can solve the problem we share for both of us.

Pete P

Guest southjk

thanks..I';ve totally cleaned that vent area ..several times now..running out of thinngs to check ..I'll try measuring the actual vacuum at the fuel line at the tank to see if there is sufficient suction. perhaps I've got a slight vacuum leak.

Is there vacuum getting from manifold to the tank? Try disconnecting vacuum line at manifold and using a hand vacuum sucking pump try drawing gas by hand, Just a thought, I have had problems with my 27 Pontiac in past but OK now Good luck

I had same exact problem with mine. Sometimes it would run and sometimes it wouldn't. Checked vacuum going to the canister and it was fine After pulling my hair out I disassembled unit and found small debri got sucked from gas tank and became lodged in the orfice before it dropped into fuel bowl at the outlet of the vacuum canister. When the engine stalled or was shut off the sucking force at the orfice outlet would subside letting go of the debri allowing it to float upward. This explained why the car would start up again and run for awhile until the debri got sucked right back down to the outlet thus cutting off the fuel supply.

Has run flawlessly ever since I cleaned unit and installed inline fuel filter after gas tank.

Dan

With the car at idle, remove the plug on top of the tank. You should feel good suction with your finger over the hole. There should be a screen on top where the fuel line connects from the main tank. Check it too. Also try removing fuel supply line at top of tank and blowing back into the gas tank. It should gurgle air in the main tank. If it's clogged, that's your problem. The 1928 Dykes book has the best info on trouble shooting the Stewart system. My fuel line was clogged with little bits of sealer I used to put the fuel sender on the main tank. I thought for sure that I had problems with the vac tank, but it was further down the line.