Yet another problem; Rear Caliper Help

wpoll

Yet another problem with this interestingly designed vehicle.... Just when I thought I had conquered all the gremlins with mega $$$ thrown into this car... A simple set of brake pads turned into new rear brake calipers. The frustration is because our rear calipers are designed with a little adjusting screw which adjusts the piston to the rotor...which easily freezes, and strips....in my case all I need is this little adjusting screw...by any miracle, (stupid question) anyone know if this little inexpensive part is avaialable? Before I spend $200 on new calipers.....OR, anyone know of a short-cut around this poor design???

Thanks all

Wayne

89 TC T2 Royal Cabernet & Ginger

new head & gasket

timing & accessory belts

altenator

starter

a/c compressor

struts

shocks

water pump

fuel pump & lines

vaccum lines

battery

exhaust

tires

brakes

complete paint

certificate of ressurection from the dead

The TC rear calipers are from the '87 - '88 Daytona with the troublesome wedge-type e-brake.

I don' t know of any other Mopar that uses this caliper.

You can probably find the adjuster part you need at the local pick n' pull.

Rebuilt calipers are available on-line for about $75.00 + core charge

(Cardone #18-4502).

Hope this helps.

Wayne, If you know someone at your local parts store, they may remove a couple of screws for you before an old caliper goes back for reman. I keep a small amount of rust check in the adjustment hole and make certain the cap is tight and the gasket is in place. Your caps are not missing are they???? I have not had a problen with then seizing up. On other vehicles with a similar design I frequently sprayed a little Rust Check on the pivots and worked it in to keep the points free. Good luck.

Yet another problem with this interestingly designed vehicle.... Just when I thought I had conquered all the gremlins with mega $$$ thrown into this car... A simple set of brake pads turned into new rear brake calipers. The frustration is because our rear calipers are designed with a little adjusting screw which adjusts the piston to the rotor...which easily freezes, and strips....in my case all I need is this little adjusting screw...by any miracle, (stupid question) anyone know if this little inexpensive part is avaialable? Before I spend $200 on new calipers.....OR, anyone know of a short-cut around this poor design???

Thanks all

Wayne

A smarter thing would to get rid of those troublesome rear calipers all together and install a set from an 89 or newer domestic MOPAR that has ABS brakes.

A smarter thing would to get rid of those troublesome rear calipers all together and install a set from an 89 or newer domestic MOPAR that has ABS brakes.

If memory serves, the 89's with rear discs used a drum-type emergency brake

setup.

Converting from the TC's '87-'88 style calipers to the '89's would require more

than just changing calipers. If I'm not mistaken, it would involve changing to a

complete rear disc setup from an '89. I'm not sure what would have to be

adapted in order to make the e-brake work.

If the correct calipers were no longer available, I'd understand taking the time

and trouble to do this swap. Since they are readily available, what's the point?

Perhaps Hemi Andersen will weigh in on what's involved.

Helge is Hemi's other profile, so Hemi is the one who suggested the swap. Personally I have not had any problems with rear caliper availability or issues with high cost for new parts. Rear brakes are easy to change and repacking the wheel bearings will prevent some of the bearing/spindle problems some TCs have been experiencing over the last few years, especially on lower mileage cars.