35 Buick Victoria Coupe - new BCA member

JBate

Well I finialy joined the Buick Clubs of America, I have enjoyed view the various site and posting over the years. I own a 1935 Buick, Model 58, Style no. 35-4511, Body Number 625, 24,ooo origional mile. My Father purchased it around 1960 from the origional owner in Cleveland Ohio, it had 22,000 miles on it then. I have not had it running in a few years, installed a new vacuum starter switch and it is turning over (plugs are removed) cylinders have been lubricated but there seems to be a problem with the oil pressure. Oil filter is the OLD sealed type so I am attempting to locate one of these or convert it over to a screw on type.

Oil pan was removed and cleaned out ( a lot of sludge) and I would like to know if there is a way to prime the oil pump after I put the pan back on?:confused:

Non detergent oil or 10W-30 with a ZDDP additive?

New spark plugs / wire. also just added a new fuel pump with the vacuum assist for the wipers, Took apart the starter, cleaned and lubricated it, Oil cooler/heater removed & cleaned, fuel tank and carburator also removed and cleaned.

I want to get it running again before I start on anything else, maybe I can find out how many were made or still are around?

Thanks for your feed back!

post-63299-143138102851_thumb.jpg

JB, welcome to the club, nice ride also.

Wix has a number of remote oil filter bases that can be used. You need to determine your input line measurements and how they are fitted (up, down, side), then you can order what you need. I have one on my 28 and it works great with a PH8A filter. Never any problem. WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

Are you sure no oil pressure, check the gauge, or better still, connect one that you know works. You should have oil pressure if you just crank the engine with the plugs out.

I use 15-40 Delo from Costco or Tractor Supply. I use detergent since I also cleaned out the oil pan and under the valve cover.

Best of luck and keep asking questions, you will get her running again.

JBate,

Indeed, welcome.

I think you can search threads on this forum with a lot of info and pros and cons of various lubricates. Also, if you do not know any local BCA members, maybe some will come forward and can get you copies of various articles on oils that have been in the Bugle.

My opionion, you do not need a thin oil unless you plan to use the car in the winter months, so 30 weight seems to be the type to use.

It is a vary nice car and if you get the frame and engine number, Dave Corbin in Texas can tell you a lot about the car. I, or someone may beat me to in, will look up the production nuimbers and also se how many of the same model are listed in the BCA (this of course is not an exact number, as not all owners are BCA members.

Best of luck with the car. Go Cowboys!!! An interesting season coming up in the Big 12.

John

Nice car. Welcome to the BCA and welcome to the forums.

First of all, there were 1589 Model 58 built according to The Standard Catalog of Buick. So, it was a pretty rare car then. There are 4 listed in the most recent BCA roster. Some folks have a rule of thumb for estimating survival rates, but I haven't got them figured out yet. Also the scrap drives for WWII had an impact on survival rates, but I think that would more likely affect models that are a bit older...just a thought - I don't know for sure.

Is anyone out there using the Brad Penn oils - Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oil? I just bought three cases as it seems like a good answer to me with respect to some of the additives for our older cars. That being said, I have heard locally of a couple of failures in high performance engines - some automatically blame the oil, but there was also some questions about some of the locally sourced parts.

Good luck with the car. The national meet is in Ames, IA next year, so it isn't all that far away for you. It would be nice to see your car there.

Just to add to Derek's last message, as he was faster then me getting to my book (blame it on the heat here in the northeast). One of the four cars listed in the BCA roster is in Magnolia, TX which could be close and could be kind of far from you. If anyone here knows that owner, maybe you can get connected and share some details as you get it running.

Good luck.

John

Thanks everyone for the information, 4 of these on the BCA records - thats great!!

Found a WIX remote unit from the link provided and there is two at a local O'Reilly's in stock, I am going to swing by today and pick one up + some oil.

I plan on putting the oil pan back on this weekend with the new WIX adapter, etc. but first I think I will pull the oil pump bottom cover off and inspect the inside for blockage.

Thanks again,

Jim

• 1 year later...
Guest greg walsh

I have a stock 35 Buick 41 series I restored in the early 70's. I've never had an oil filter but I've never had any problems without one. As long as you change the oil regularly.

One way to prime the oiling system is to crank the engine without the ignition on until you register oil pressure on the gauge. (On a new re-build you can do this before you install the spark plugs for even greater engine RPM and oil flow during cranking. I've even set rough timing with a timing light under these plugless conditions)

If my car has not been run in some time I do this (with the plugs in) and keep the choke off too to keep from flooding. After you see the oil gauge peg, set the choke and flip the ignition switch and start.

Now, before someone says this will wear out your starter, I'm talking maybe 5 seconds of extra cranking, not cranking all day waiting for oil pressure. And I can repair or replace a starter faster than you can fix a spun bearing.

Glad to hear you cleaned out the pan and pump screen. I'm always shocked at the number of people who have never done this on an old car.

Here's an oil filter idea. The super strong magnet out of a failed compter disc drive stuck to the bottom side of the oil pan near the oil pick-up will collect anything ferritic. These magnets are so strong it takes all you can muster to pry it off the outside of the pan. Bet you can guess what's on the bottom of my (filterless) 23's pan.