1937 Hood Ornament

Guest 37Imp_limo

Guest 37Imp_limo

I have a 1937 Chrysler Imperial Limo. I am in the process of removing all the chrome for plating and painting. I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to remove the hood ornament. Is there is trick to this that I should be aware of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is anything like my old 1936 Dodge, the back edge had a tab that dropped through the grille shell, after the tab was seated the front of the ornament then sat flush with the grille shell and a tab dropped below the surface of the shell and was drilled front to rear for a long set screw that when screwed in kept the front of the ornament from raising up to be removed. If I remember correctly you may have to remove the radiator to get to the set screw.

Howard Dennis

Guest 37Imp_limo

Howard Dennis. Thanks for the post. My hood is different than that of the Dodge. It actually opens up like a modern car. There is a screw that fastens the middle of the hood ornament to the hood. But then there is a long square shaped shaft that hooks right in the springed hood latch. That is where I am unsure how to remove.