turn signal speed

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Ok, My left turn signals blink too fast, the right side are ok. So I checked every bulb number on the left side and all are what the book calls for. All lamps flas, just too fast, any ideas?

Thank's

Richard

PS it has been this way since I bought the car.

Since the flasher goes fast when the current load is not at design levels (usually due to a burned out lamp reducing the total load on the circuit) perhaps a bad socket (or multiples) not making good contact and reducing the load the flasher sees.

Are all lamps at proper full brightness, or do some look dim?

Slight chance of a bad ground too. Might also suspect a bad dual-filament bulb with only one of the two out. I would not suspect the flasher itself, as it would go fast in both directions if it were on the way out.

Not sure what else to suggest.

KDirk

Guest re-reatta

I might not be awake yet, but I thought there was a flasher for each side. Check the flashers and make sure they are both correct. Sometimes a heavy duty flasher will cause this.

There are two relays in the engine compartment relay center that control front turn signals. One for left & one for right ( position E & F ). Location & function of the relays is on the under side of the relay cover. Reverse the two relays, & see if the problem goes to the other turn signal.

The other thing that comes to mind, is the resistor block. It is mounted in front of the radiator & to the right. It is Horseshoe shaped with three wires coming from it to a single connector.

Richard, I forgot to ask. When you turn on the four way flashers, do ALL of the lights flash at the same speed?

Edited by Drake
Asking question. (see edit history)

Guest Richard D
There are two relays in the engine compartment relay center that control front turn signals. One for left & one for right ( position E & F ). Location & function of the relays is on the under side of the relay cover. Reverse the two relays, & see if the problem goes to the other turn signal.

The other thing that comes to mind, is the resistor block. It is mounted in front of the radiator & to the right. It is Horseshoe shaped with three wires coming from it to a single connector.

Richard, I forgot to ask. When you turn on the four way flashers, do ALL of the lights flash at the same speed?

Thank's for all your help. The lights all work at the same brightness and the 4-ways work normally. What is the function of the resistor block?

The turn signal bulbs are #890. They are the same as the cornering lights. The resistor keeps the 890s at the same brightness as the 194NA bulbs when the lights are on. When you activate the turn signal, or four way flashers, the 890 goes to full brightness as it flashes. I believe the flashing is controled by one of the modules mounted in the center console directly under the dashboard. Why they just didn't use an 1157 bulb. The 890s aren't cheap.

If all the bulbs are the same brightness when the lights are on, and they flash at the same speed with the four way flasher activated, check the turn signal relays in the relay center I mentioned earlier.

Edited by Drake
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (see edit history)