Source for diaphragm material

old-tank

Tinkering again: trying to rebuild the vacuum diaphragm for a 55. The material appears to be 2 ply rubber/cloth mesh reinforced about 0.015 inch thick.

I made a working unit using vinyl seat uphostery material, so I know my method is workable. No, I am not going into business, but will share with others that are willing to spend some time instead of money.

Willie

The first place I go to when I need uncommon materials for a repair/project is Mcmaster-Carr. Look under gasket, sheet, Wille. There are a number of fabric reinforced rubber gasket materials............Bob

Thanks for the suggestion on McMaster-Carr, but no joy. The thinnest material that would be suitable is 1/32 or ~0.030 and that would be too thick. Google 'vacuum diaphragm rubber' lists some sources, but all are Chinese. Still looking...

Willie, share with me. When I bought my 50 Special, it came with what appears to be a rebuilt fuel pump, in a rather dilapadated box. Pump looks new. But after all the stories I have heard about old NOS pumps, I am concerned.

Thanks

Ben

Ben

I would not use a 50-60 year old pump. Rebuild, but just replace the diaphragm(s)...the valves and other parts supplied in a kit would not need to be replaced.

Willie

Thanks for the suggestion on McMaster-Carr, but no joy. The thinnest material that would be suitable is 1/32 or ~0.030 and that would be too thick. Google 'vacuum diaphragm rubber' lists some sources, but all are Chinese. Still looking

I saw some fabric type materials that were 1/16" but not knowing your application I didn't delve too deeply. Good luck...........Bob

Bob

I need something like that but 1/64" or 0.015" for a 55 vacuum diaphragm.

Willie

Sorry willie. Of course 1/64 is .015. I just suffered a brain fart when I saw the 6 in the fractional size and thought I had found it for you..........Bob