83 Riviera Convertible

austingta

I am considering taking all the tubes, hoses, valves and any other item I can remove off my 83 Riv 307 Olds engine, and then painting the engine and it's compartment so it looks new again. I have done this to all my old Buicks, and this is not the basis for my question.

The question is this: is there any legitimate reason to put all the emission and engine management parts back on or should I build it back like a pre 75 car, in the hopes that it will be more reliable and dependable?

Do the various emissions devices on such an engine actually reduce pollution noticably, or not? I do plan on leaving the cat.

I realize the carburetor may not so good either, and I may buy an old carb and bolt it on. I will, of course, retain vacuum advance.

All opinions please; I have not had a Buick this new except a GN and I didn't gut it like I want to do to this one.

Thanks Frank in Austin

ROA 10634

Edited by austingta (see edit history)

Frank,

If you do all of that, you'll also have to remove your catalytic converter. No shop will do that if they want to stay in business. A lot depends on what kind of emission requirements there are in TX. If I remember correctly, TX requires all cars to pass emission standards for the year of production. If you removed all the plumbing, you might not be able to register it.

If I were going to go to all this trouble, and I could get away with registering it like this in KS, I'd opt for installing a late 60's Olds 350 "Rocket." Some of those had advertised hp ratings up around 285 - 300 in stock configuration, and there's a ton of aftermarket performance parts available for it.

Ed