Vixen body file resharpening

Dave Henderson

In the '40's-'50's some suppliers (Ex. Mattos in the D. C. area) offered either new Vixen files or used ones that had been resharpened ( for a buck!) I don't remember the price of "new", but it was enough to induce me to buy "resharpened". These files are still a must for pick-&-file bodywork and leading, and new ones are still around, Eastwood, etc. But today's pricey price induces me to ask.... is there a source today to get these files resharpened or buy them that way?

In the '40's-'50's some suppliers (Ex. Mattos in the D. C. area) offered either new Vixen files or used ones that had been resharpened ( for a buck!) I don't remember the price of "new", but it was enough to induce me to buy "resharpened". These files are still a must for pick-&-file bodywork and leading, and new ones are still around, Eastwood, etc. But today's pricey price induces me to ask.... is there a source today to get these files resharpened or buy them that way?

Some old timers say that if you soak them in vinegar for 24 hours it will resharpen them. I haven't tried it but I suppose there's nothing to lose if it's too dull to use anyway...............Bob

Muriatic acid would probably be quicker but quick might mean a more ragged edge that dulls faster. If you use acid try a dilute solution and work your way up. When diluting any acid ALWAYS add the acid to water. NEVER add water to acid..........Bob

hello

many years ago when i first started doing metal work,we used these files for pick an file or metal finishing,this was the late sixties,the plastic fillers where coming in very strong at that time and we where using less and less files,we had a man who picked up the file blades an sharpened them for a buck a piece,after he went south no more vixen files and no more lead floaters,,after taking a machine shop course we found bead blasting the blades made them real sharp, usually using glass but im sure sand will work just fine