Starter pinion gear for '53 Super V8?

53BuickSuperConv

Hi, I have a '53 Super V8 (Series 50) that has starter issues. A few years back, my Dad had the starter overhauled by a local mechanic (who is also a fellow member of our antique auto club). The mechanic had problems getting the correct pinion gear for the Bendix apparently, as we had to bring it back in twice because of problems (I wasn't home at the time, not sure what the issue was; not meshing I assume?) Anyway, the third time was apparently the charm, and has worked for a couple years, but now has started being hit & miss whether it engages or not. I removed the starter last weekend and the pinion gear is all chewed up on the end, like it wasn't engaging all the way into the ring gear. How do I get the CORRECT pinion gear for this? If it was a no-brainer, I don't know why our mechanic struggled (and he is a car collector himself). I have the specs from the '53 Factory Shop Manual, but not sure where to go with that information. Does the '53 Super take an unusual gear? I know it's different from the series 40 6V starter, but would have thought it was a common one for years after in the V8s.......??

I'll also have to find someone to double-check the solenoid, but it WAS freshly rebuilt I believe....and seems that would be an all-or-nothing failure, not a partial-engagement with ring-gear problem?

Thanks!

Barry

Parts book says it's a one year only part. The # is 1923912. The gear itself is part of the over running clutch assembly. Even though the pitch of the gears may be correct if the dimensions of the drive assembly are different it could cause an under or over engagement condition. My guess is he used an incorrect part. Better check the condition of the ring gear too.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest Bert S

I too have a '53 Super...its a hardtop. Had starter solenoid problems a few weeks ago and checked with Arizona Vintage Auto Parts at vintage@azvintageparts.com. On July 9, 2009 they had a rebuilt starter for that car for $100 plus $50 core charge with a 1 year warranty. When you send the old one back, they'll refund the $50. Rather than fooling around with individual parts get a rebuilt one and perhaps even a new solenoid for $40 while you are at it.

I've dealt with them several times....good folks to do business with.

Bert S

Pekin, IL

Thanks!! That is great information from both of you, and if only "one year", probably explains why Bob struggled to obtain the correct part. I looked at the ring gear that I could see, but hard to move it by hand w/ screwdriver while laying under the car. I suppose I could take all the plugs out to do so and that would help. Thanks again guys!

Barry