what car did you take your first drivers test?

Guest GS70Stage1

I took my test on my 16th birthday in December 1975 in a red 67 VW Bug. It was my dad's work car, and I showed up at his job at the end of my school day ready to go take my test. He had agreed to leave work early and I was ready. I passed on the first time. Although I grew up on Buicks, our only Buick at that time was a 60 Electra 225 4 door flat top that we were kind of restoring. I drove it on occasion, but mostly I drove the VW, mom's 72 Capri, our 71 Lincoln Mark III (every so often), or the truck - an unrestored 40 Ford pickup with a flathead V8. Later, I bought my first car, a 65 Riviera - silver with blue interior. Like most folks on this thread, I wish I still had that one.

• 2 weeks later...

My Mom's 1968 Buick LeSabre. My Dad had a 1973 Mercury Comet I wouldn't be caught dead in....until I blew the motor in the Buick. However, Dad bought Mom a really cool 1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport coupe to replace the Buick, which became mine when I graduated High School!

Guest simplyconnected

My parents' 1961 Pontiac Catalina Safari (9-passenger wagon 389/auto). They dumped the '54 Ford Country Sedan (6-cyl 3-speed on the column, no power anything) for that car. Mom took her test in the Ford during the Winter in Michigan when she was 48.

Fifty years ago this past October, back in October of 1959, got my Learners Permit in Union County, NJ - Linden did not have a DMV testing station -

10 days later, the required minimum time, went back to the station and took the driving test in the 1951 Chevy stick-shift 4-door sedan. No demerits, and passed on the first try, so Mom and Dad let me buy license plates and insurance and go ahead and buy the '49 red Pontiac Convertible to use for a date that following weekend. A little bit of tinkering, and it was safe enough to drive. Nice car, nice girl, but wish I still had the car.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Guest 4buick7

I took my drivers test in So CA in 1953. At that time if you took the drivers test in a car with an automatic transmission, your license restricted you to an automatic transmission. I correctly figured my first car would most likely be a standard shift so I needed to take the test with a standard shift. The family car was a '52 Hudson Hornet with an automatic transmission so I had to borrow a std shift car. The only car in the family with a std shift was my grandmothers '41 Studebaker Commander coupe. She lived in Ojai about 90 miles away but she made the trip so I could take the test. We figured it was probably the first time the car had been driven more that 30 miles from her home. I got my first car the following year; a '50 Ford with std shift. The Studebaker was traded in on a new Lark in 1960 with a total of 60,000 miles. The dealer gave her $60.00 for the '41.

Sid Munger

BCA 2257

1947 Super Estate Wagon

My test was in a 56 Olds 88 4 door, green and white. Passed with no problems in 1958. Drivers ed was in a blue 57 Chevy. I learned to drive at 11 or 12 years old in the country in a 46 Plymouth coupe. The first vehicle that I could call my own was a 55 Chevy pickup that my dad wore out in the oil fields in West Texas. He gave it to me after he bought a new one.

Guest will morris

i took my driver test in a 1937 dodge 1/2 ton pick-up

back in 1959 the thing was my grand dad's flat bed hay truck and in the okla panhandle the only place to take the test was in gaymon 40 miles from where we were.

and the roads were not paved out there(not until 1963)

the guy at the test center asked if i drove from black mesa to guymon and when i said yes he passed me .

and gave me my license.

commaricals that is

Edited by will morris (see edit history)

Guest will morris
Driver's ed car was a '66 Bel Air, 6cyl, 3 on the tree. At the time, my parents had a '59 Impala Sport Sedan, cameo coral, satin beige. I hated it. Before I took my test, they traded for a '66 Impala Sport Sedan in mist blue. Hated that, too, at the time. So, I took my test in the '66. I'd love to have both the '59 and '66 today, though.

GMPARTSMAN - don't know why, but I remember the VIN of my '80 Ford Fairmont - OK93B205613 - I guess because it has a certain rhythm to it.

what's driver's ed a horse of somekind

Guest Dynaflo2

1974. My first and so far, only driver's test. Took the test in my mother's 1968 Dodge Coronet 440. Gold ext., black int. I already owned a car, but it wasn't until I took it through NJ state inspection for the FIFTH TIME that my '62 Ponitac Starchief was legal. Even then it was a rattletrap. But it only cost me $75.00.

Guest windjamer
:D I took my test in a rented cab from the yellow cab co. Cost me five dollers. I was 14, but a cotton q tip and a bit of clorox made me 16. Two years latter I had what today we call a CDL and I was hauling Budwiser for Kearing Dist. Come out of the army in 67 and went to work driving for Utica Club days and hauled a load of produce for Grand union nights, run two log books and still found time to turn wrenches 28 hrs. a week at a local Arco station. Manager of the station built his own shop and I went full time with him. They realy where good old days.:D

Took my test in my brothers 1989 Buick Century. Several months after I got my license I rear-ended a Saturn with it. Bent the bumper up and it always looked like it was frowning after that.

Moms '73 Electra 225 (brown w/white vinyl top and tan interior.) While learning, I started on dads '67 Electra (traded in on the '73), and his '70 Electra Limited (w/factory dual exhaust.) Our drivers training class at high school used LeSabres.

My first 'new off the showroom floor' car was a '78 Turbo Regal. (Dark metallic gold, *NO* vinyl top, tan bucket seats, etc. Interestingly, it was the 2 bbl carb version.)

It was my dad's 56 Century 4dr hardtop. The car failed the first time as it was so rusty the headlights didn't work. I had to go back home and run a ground wire to some solid metal. Second trip I made it. Remember it was 1970. The car was 14 years old. We had that car for 12 years but the rust got her. It still ran like a top. Ken

Guest Estate Wagon man

I was 16 in 78 so we had at the time a brand new 1978 Grand Grix, it was so magnifcent. Claret with red buckets with evey option and that was what I drove for my test. My father had a brand new Park Ave in that beautiful silver blue with matching velour and and I got a 78 Grand Sport Buick Lesabre in Yellow with the buckskin top and buckskin interior and it had been dragged through the option box with the 403 engine and the larger sport rally wheels, he took it from me a year later as a punishment, because I allowed my best friend to take it to Prom and he said I could never allow anyone to drive my car, so he sold it and bought me a 79 Century, I was so, hurt I went from power to anemia in one day. I still regret that car being sold.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest williammartina

Hi guys..

I took my first test drive with my brand new Chevrolet Beat. It is giving good mileage also. From my end its my suggestion to have car like this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Guest Kansasdon

Took mine with my best friend on August. 17,1962(my birthday was the 16th & his 17th) in dad's 1950 Chrysler highlander with 4 speed fluid drive. Only had 40m miles.

My Dad's '66 Cutlass in 1972. During the test, I was stopped at a light when a Model A drove up the other side of the street. I was so distracted by it, I didn't notice that the light changed 'til the examiner said "go". He passed me anyway:cool:

I took my driver's test in Louisiana at 15 years old, so that would have been March of 1966....remember that my father still had his 1962 Oldsmobile 88, and that's what I took the test in...I was still in Junior High School at that point (High School then was only 10-11-12 grades), and I had two of my own cars (1931 Chevrolet tudor and 1925 Dodge Brothers coupe), so I was the only kid at junior high driving to school! I drove the '25 coupe, they didn't let me park in the teacher's lot, so they made a space right up front of the school (ahead of where the buses unloaded) and allowed me to park there.....In Louisiana at the time 15 was the legal driving age, but unlike now, very few kids of that age had cars of any kind.....

Guest 1950SuperBlueBuick

1st driver test in 1965 was in a 1955 Pontiac wagon.

2nd and 3rd test was in a 1962 Chrysler Newport 4 door.

(Milwaukee frowns upon 16 year old boys driving.)

1957 Buick Model 43 (4 door Riviera.) February 1961. I lived in a farming community and it was not unusual for all of us 14 year olds to have our restricted licenses for "farm errands" or "to school and back." I drove to school a couple of time at the end of my 8th grade year (country school k - 8) when I needed to take a project to school or come home before the bus could drop me off. Any other time before I turned 16, I made sure that there was always a couple of sacks of feed or fertilizer in the trunk.

Contrary to some others, I only had to take my test once! :rolleyes:

A 1989 Chevrolet pickup extended cab long bed. Yes, I parallel parked it, but after the instructor found a spot that was reasonable. He chuckled when he saw what I was driving. That was what my parents had at the time. My mom drove it daily and my dad had a company car. They also had a 1961 Corvette, but I wasn't permitted to drive that of course.

1970 Bronco with a 3 on the tree in 1977. I had been driving for several years around the farm roads before I was 16 so thought I had the test easy with one had behind my back. On the testing lot the instructor said "OK go up there and do a 3 point turn" and a I did just that....unfortunately there was a stop sign on the way that I didn't see.

I took my test in a Nissan Cherry in September 1983, three weeks after my 17th birthday (the minimum age for driving here). Passed first time too, but I had been driving my dad`s Model T around the yard since I was eight..

The Nissan was the driving school car, but by coincidence, my first car was an older Nissan Cherry. I caned it mercilessly and looking back, it is a wonder that I survived some of my early driving exploits.

Adam..

I've been giving this some further thought and for the life of me I couldn't remember driving my Dad's '65 Sportwagon for the actual test. Then I remembered. Dad had the Sportwagon in the body shop after it took a hellacious hit in the rear while he was at a dead stop. We had a rental '69 Ford Torino GT and that was the car I used for my driving test. The Sportwagon would have never passed the inspection as the turn signals didn't work right and the upper bearing of the tilt wheel was bad so the whole upper steering column wobbled.

Took the test in a 49 Buick. It was a real roach, and the instructor wasn't happy just being in it. At that time you had to use hand signals when stopping or turning, and I failed the 1st time for signaling too late. Did OK on parallel parking, no thanks to the manual steering.