GS70Stage1

what car did you take your first drivers test?

A 1975 Chrysler Newport that was my moms car. That thing was a boat. :) Dandy Dave!

My Brothers 1974 Dodge Monaco 2dr hardtop. Dodges version of the Newport. If you could drive one of them , anything short of an aircraft carrier was childs play. I loved that big old tank. I wanted it but my brother didnt think I could afford to buy gas for it .....he was probably right but I still wish he would have sold it to me .I learned on my Dads 73 Malibu, it was so rusty that I wasnt allowed to take the test in it . Basically cause my Dad had hot inspection stickers on it and he didnt want a statie ANYWHERE near it. Hey itwas 1980 and at that time my mother was sick and times were more than just a little tight for my Dad. We all survived my brother sold the Monaco and I dont know what ever became of it . The Malibu however , went out in a blaze of glory in the summer of 1981, claiming 2nd place in the Washington county fair demolition derby. Prepped by yours truly and driven by a friend. It still ran after the derby , It was driven off the field. It lost its bid for 1st when a battery cable fell off and then the first time it stalled ........... Game Over! I still think it could of won.

My Brothers 1974 Dodge Monaco 2dr hardtop. Dodges version of the Newport. If you could drive one of them , anything short of an aircraft carrier was childs play.

The one my Mom had was a 4 door and drank gas like a hog. My first solo ride was a 1957 Dodge sweptside pickup which I still have. I just dug the cab out of deep, dark storage the other day and will start to work on it once again. Should be a honey when she is done. :) Dandy Dave!

July 1984 in dad's 1983 T-Bird, what a snoozer. Failed first time and had to go back the next day. The same guy tested me and said that I picked up too many bad habits was the reason why he failed me the day before. I wanted to take it with my 70 GS455 convertible, but the old man said it wasn't a good idea. Maybe I could have come up with a better reason to fail the first time.

1958 Buick Roadmaster Two Door Hardtop .

in 1956 i took my fathers 54 ford for the test. i had a 51 merc ready to go when i got home, nosed, decked, duals lowered.

August of 1971 in my mom's '69 Skylark 2 door hardtop. Dark brown (can't remember the color name) with a white vinyl top and white vinyl interior.

1961 in a 57 Ford wagon. This was only the 2nd time I drove that car (learned on a 51 Plymouth) and passed the test even though I launched the officer off the seat when I simultaneously hit the brake pedal with both feet expecting a clutch pedal. I aced the parallel parking due to the great visibiliy of the wagon.

Willie

Official driver test, Summer of '69, With Dad's 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible--- 352- 4-bbl. Only Ford I still have a soft spot for. Dad started to let me move the car and drive it around the block to put it in the garage at night starting about age 14 or 15. Was still living in the City of Chicago then, so the citystill had unpaved dirt alleys--- ruts and all -- lot of fun when it rained-- but probably still better conditions than what the drivers of the Brass era cars had to contend with.

Edited by dkbuick75 (see edit history)

1969 Camaro in lemans blue with a black vinyl top and interior, 350 cubes under the hood. My brother is doing a complete restoration on the car.

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S - not the Supreme, just the S...Olds guys will know that model. For the time, it was the biggest thing on the lot as everyone else was coming in some little import. They looked at me like I was nuts testing in that car. Aced the test. Parallel parking was a breeze. Was funny to see the little imports failing parallel parking. The 3 point turn was a little tight, but doable.

71 Pontiac Catalina--known in later years as "Old Red". Drove that car till it clocked over 179,000 plus then gave it to the neighbor for a driver in the 80s.

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S - not the Supreme, just the S...Olds guys will know that model. For the time, it was the biggest thing on the lot as everyone else was coming in some little import. They looked at me like I was nuts testing in that car. Aced the test. Parallel parking was a breeze. Was funny to see the little imports failing parallel parking. The 3 point turn was a little tight, but doable.

Thats interesting. The reason the 73 Malibu was available for the demo derby was because my Dad bought a 76 Cutlass S. This is the car I drove through my teenage years. Living within a few miles I wonder how many times we passed each other back then eyeing each others cars up for parts :rolleyes:

Dan

1967 Buick Skylark custom 4-door sedan, blue with a white top, 340-2 with the powerslide tranny. Drove that car to college and years later, to my first job in the 'real world.'

Joe

1958 Ford Fairlane 500 2-door HT, red/white/red with a 352 police interceptor and cruise-o-matic. I got a 72 the first time so the examiner lowered my score enough to flunk me. Went back on September 1, 1961 and got a 96 (I still have the test sheet!)

Great thread, bringing up lots of memories. For me the test was in 1968, on Dads 65 Electra custom 4 dr hardtop. Can't recall much more about the test except passing it the first time. Back then NY took 3 days to mail you the result if you passed. Two days if you failed. Loved that Electra in Maroon with black interior and vinyl top. And drove it relentlessly too. But I was a bit disturbed with Dad because I had already been practicing in the neighborhood with his 55 Special ( stick shift ) for at least two years, and I so much wanted to drive that car on the open road. But he sold the 55 and got the Electra just about the time I turned 16 and got my permit. Oh well, although I never had the Electra in my name, all my brothers and sisters knew the Buick was John's car.

Guest my3buicks

1976 Eldorado Biarritz- triple white with red carpet & dash with about 200 miles on the odometer - that was a fun one to do the three point turn in, on the dead end brick street in the little town of Ford City, Pa

I think the tester was more interested in the car than watching what I was doing - he was to busy looking around the car and touching the white leather to care what I was doing. Guess that is not what most kids drove for there test :D

Miss that car - it stayed in the family until 1990

In 1969 I took my test in my first car, a 1965 Rambler Marlin which was a perfect car for a 16 year old male in Miami. It was indestructable! I wish I still had it, 327 with 4 bbl and torque tube drive, fold down front seats. Plus the fastback styling looked real cool back then.

Feb 1967 63 mercury Meteor 4 door post mercomatic

1st ride 1950 M Farmall to Grandmas to do chores

1st Drive 1950 Chevy 3 window Pickup "Scratch in 2nd gear"

Brian ....85 Corrolla??

Bill ..... MGB??????

Kevin ...........would love to see that 69 Camaro. Friend had a Lemans Blue, Black Vinyl, 350, 4 spd, RS, Astro Ventilation. Loved that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RY

i took my first driver's test in 1972, santa monica, calif. a neighbor, buff bowles, who was like a second dad to me, let me used his like new 1968 ford mustang coupe. i failed the first test, came back two weeks later, again with the mustang, and scored 98 out of a 100.

I turned 14 on August 10 ,1947, and the law was changing to 16 for a license on September 1, ,so I took my Mothers 1941 special 4 door for my drivers test. I learned to drive on my Dads 1929 Buick 4 door when I was 12-13. i got my license on August 28, and have driven mostly Buicks ever since.

Joe, You are so old that I am surprised that you even needed a license. I thought all you had to do was switch from your horse and buggy to a car.

Maybe I had better stop before I really get in deep.

ha, ha,

Stevo

I turned 14 on August 10 ,1947, and the law was changing to 16 for a license on September 1, ,so I took my Mothers 1941 special 4 door for my drivers test. I learned to drive on my Dads 1929 Buick 4 door when I was 12-13. i got my license on August 28, and have driven mostly Buicks ever since.

Hmm...here's a man whose brain I need to pick as he'll know stuff about a couple of the cars in my collection.