what car did you take your first drivers test?

Guest GS70Stage1

Guest GS70Stage1

Apologize if this has been done before, but just for fun, what car did you take your first drivers test. For me it was 50 years ago this week, so guess that is what prompted the question.

Think it would be really neat if anybody still has that car (and is older than say 21).

Mine was a 56 Special "Riveria" which for a Buick in those days was a hardtop, no post. Light Blue. Have watched for one all these years and know I cannot spend the money these days but would be really tempted to buy one.

I did the practice with my Dad in the '56 Century 66R, my parents bought in 1957 used for what it weighed, I forget the number. Did Driver's Ed in a '72 Pontiac 4-door we called the Lemon, Lemans, took drivers test in the '64 Electra, 4-door hardtop! The parallel parking with that beast was a treat, my Driver Ed teacher had also been my drafting teacher and homeroom teacher,so I was taught well, when I went to College at Clarkson Univiersity in Potsdam, NY, the roommates would drive by a great parking spot cause they couldn't parrallel park, they would get out and let me parellel park to get the parking place on the street in front of the building our class was in!

That was usually in my roommates, '70 Cutlass, in the spring, in my last year there it was the '64 E, cause with the 425, it warmed up faster than the 350 in the Cutlass. Of Course there's alot more stories for another post!

May 1969, New Zealand in my parents 1964 Chrylser Valiant (built in Aust, 2 tone blue - slant 6 with 3 on the tree). Very similar to 1964 Dodge Dart. Had been driving farm tractors for some years before

In 1981, when I was traveling in the USA & Canada, bought a 1972 Dodge Dart (slant 6 with 3 on the tree) in Oregon and sold it 6 months & 15,000 miles later in Georgia, losing about $100.

The 1964 Chrylser Valiant was last seen about 1995 by my father. Is no longer registered (NZ registraton data is open public access via web sites)

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

I took my drivers test in my Mom's 1964 Riviera back in the day. It became my first car (it was a hard life driving a Riviera to high school) I traded it in 1971 for a Cougar. I always missed the Riviera. I bought '64 Riviera four years ago just for the memories.

Kenneth

I took my driver's license test in February, 1966, the day after a MA snow storm in my dad's 1962 V8 Ford Fairlane 500 2door w/ manual brakes and steering.

Guest WEB 38

I Took mine in a 1951 Buick Super in 1954 in Chicago IL. The first thing the craggy old instructor said when he got into the car was shut that damn radio off and turn right at the next corner. I proceded to turn on my turn signal on and he said is your arm broke. I said no why? He said thats for after you get a license. after we parked I asked if I passed He just walked back in the office and left me. 15 min. later I Heard my name called to pick up my license. My mother was next in line and he failed her. A day that I Will never foget. Bill

1965 Buick Wildcat Deluxe 2-door hardtop, Silver Cloud with Arctic White roof and red interior.

I loved that car!

I'm so Jealous!

I took mine on 3/25/1988 in a 1980 Toyota Celica stick.

(drove down to TN to pick up my '65 Wildcat Deluxe 2-door hardtop once school let out!)

Guest Dan Cook

I took mine in 1964 in a 1953 Ponitac. God I hated that car because those big old 4 doors just weren't cool back then. At least the Indian head lit up at night. I remember Dad said if I didn't like driving it to buy my own car, so I did. I found a 1937 Chevy 2 door sedan for $20 bucks that ran great after a new fuel pump.

A sad end to that was that I sold it to a friend a week before I left for boot camp and Mom wrote a few weeks later and told me that he and another friend died when they drove it off a bridge.

Dan

I took mine in Dad's 1965 gold, 3 seat, Sportwagon on June 24th, 1969. At the time, I hated that car as being a wagon, it just wasn't cool. Now I wish we had kept that car.

My girlfiend's (at the time) older brother told me I could use his car for the day if I passed the test on my first try,which I did. His car was a 1961 Chevy Impala 2 door bubbletop with a 348 V8 and mag wheels. Man I loved that car. His sister wasn't too bad either.

'81 or '82 (that memorable) Mercury Zephyr with an inline 6. It was a neat 2 door with decent fuel economy...it was written off in 1988 when a little old lady driving a big old 4 door HT decided to turn left in front of me...instead of running straight into her passengers, I tried to avoid and caught the right corner of her bumper with the entire left side of the car. That's an experience I will never forget...I would certainly have handled it a lot differently than I would now...I wouldn't be so nice.

I took my drivers test in July 1960. I was 16 and had my learners licence for the minimum time of 15 days. My neighbor had a 55 Oldsmobile two tone blue and he agreed to take me downtown for the test. I had never driven the car before but I passed. He went on to work and I took the bus home. As soon as I got home I took out my 52 Ford for my first solo drive!:)

Guest Skyking

I took my driver's test in 1962 with my brothers 1961 Chevy Impala he bought new. His son still has the car. The first car I ever drove was my dad's 55 Buick Century.............That was a fast car!

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Guest Dans 77 Limited
A 1975 Chrysler Newport that was my moms car. That thing was a boat. :) Dandy Dave!

My Brothers 1974 Dodge Monaco 2dr hardtop. Dodges version of the Newport. If you could drive one of them , anything short of an aircraft carrier was childs play. I loved that big old tank. I wanted it but my brother didnt think I could afford to buy gas for it .....he was probably right but I still wish he would have sold it to me .I learned on my Dads 73 Malibu, it was so rusty that I wasnt allowed to take the test in it . Basically cause my Dad had hot inspection stickers on it and he didnt want a statie ANYWHERE near it. Hey itwas 1980 and at that time my mother was sick and times were more than just a little tight for my Dad. We all survived my brother sold the Monaco and I dont know what ever became of it . The Malibu however , went out in a blaze of glory in the summer of 1981, claiming 2nd place in the Washington county fair demolition derby. Prepped by yours truly and driven by a friend. It still ran after the derby , It was driven off the field. It lost its bid for 1st when a battery cable fell off and then the first time it stalled ........... Game Over! I still think it could of won.

My Brothers 1974 Dodge Monaco 2dr hardtop. Dodges version of the Newport. If you could drive one of them , anything short of an aircraft carrier was childs play.

The one my Mom had was a 4 door and drank gas like a hog. My first solo ride was a 1957 Dodge sweptside pickup which I still have. I just dug the cab out of deep, dark storage the other day and will start to work on it once again. Should be a honey when she is done. :) Dandy Dave!

Guest wildcat465

July 1984 in dad's 1983 T-Bird, what a snoozer. Failed first time and had to go back the next day. The same guy tested me and said that I picked up too many bad habits was the reason why he failed me the day before. I wanted to take it with my 70 GS455 convertible, but the old man said it wasn't a good idea. Maybe I could have come up with a better reason to fail the first time.

August of 1971 in my mom's '69 Skylark 2 door hardtop. Dark brown (can't remember the color name) with a white vinyl top and white vinyl interior.

1961 in a 57 Ford wagon. This was only the 2nd time I drove that car (learned on a 51 Plymouth) and passed the test even though I launched the officer off the seat when I simultaneously hit the brake pedal with both feet expecting a clutch pedal. I aced the parallel parking due to the great visibiliy of the wagon.

Willie

Official driver test, Summer of '69, With Dad's 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible--- 352- 4-bbl. Only Ford I still have a soft spot for. Dad started to let me move the car and drive it around the block to put it in the garage at night starting about age 14 or 15. Was still living in the City of Chicago then, so the citystill had unpaved dirt alleys--- ruts and all -- lot of fun when it rained-- but probably still better conditions than what the drivers of the Brass era cars had to contend with.

Edited by dkbuick75 (see edit history)

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S - not the Supreme, just the S...Olds guys will know that model. For the time, it was the biggest thing on the lot as everyone else was coming in some little import. They looked at me like I was nuts testing in that car. Aced the test. Parallel parking was a breeze. Was funny to see the little imports failing parallel parking. The 3 point turn was a little tight, but doable.

71 Pontiac Catalina--known in later years as "Old Red". Drove that car till it clocked over 179,000 plus then gave it to the neighbor for a driver in the 80s.

Guest Dans 77 Limited
1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S - not the Supreme, just the S...Olds guys will know that model. For the time, it was the biggest thing on the lot as everyone else was coming in some little import. They looked at me like I was nuts testing in that car. Aced the test. Parallel parking was a breeze. Was funny to see the little imports failing parallel parking. The 3 point turn was a little tight, but doable.

Thats interesting. The reason the 73 Malibu was available for the demo derby was because my Dad bought a 76 Cutlass S. This is the car I drove through my teenage years. Living within a few miles I wonder how many times we passed each other back then eyeing each others cars up for parts :rolleyes:

Dan

1958 Ford Fairlane 500 2-door HT, red/white/red with a 352 police interceptor and cruise-o-matic. I got a 72 the first time so the examiner lowered my score enough to flunk me. Went back on September 1, 1961 and got a 96 (I still have the test sheet!)

Great thread, bringing up lots of memories. For me the test was in 1968, on Dads 65 Electra custom 4 dr hardtop. Can't recall much more about the test except passing it the first time. Back then NY took 3 days to mail you the result if you passed. Two days if you failed. Loved that Electra in Maroon with black interior and vinyl top. And drove it relentlessly too. But I was a bit disturbed with Dad because I had already been practicing in the neighborhood with his 55 Special ( stick shift ) for at least two years, and I so much wanted to drive that car on the open road. But he sold the 55 and got the Electra just about the time I turned 16 and got my permit. Oh well, although I never had the Electra in my name, all my brothers and sisters knew the Buick was John's car.