Wrecking Yard Technique

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

It sure would be nice to be able to power up a car in the wrecking yard. CRTs and IPC could be tested, seats removed etc. The yards I go to will let you bring in a battery pack but what about the ignition key?

Has anybody ever forced an ignition switch to the "on" position without the key? On a 90& up Reatta/Riviera does the lack of a resistor in the key prohibit the Accessory on or just the starter?

I go out once a week and seem to find a whole Reatta about once a month. If you need a part add me to your list of sources. With 5 cars myself one of them always need somthing.

Guest Richard D

I would think that if you wired + 12 volts to the accessories and hot at all times circuits by feeding those fuses you would back feed everything without having the key.

Guest steveskyhawk

So if I were to get a device like Padgett has i'd also need a piece of wire with an allagator clip on both ends to go into the fuse box and ground the other (black) cable. I'm guessing that i would just pull a fuse (radio maybe?)and put the hot jumper in and I'd have hot in run power. Padgett? As you can see i've been thinking of this for awhile.

Guest Richard D

Steve you could use the radio circuit but I would recommend looking for the highest amp fuse that is hot in run, maybe the power window or seats? or are they circuit breakers? I used this about 10 years ago when looking for a T-bird digital dash cluster for a friend. I used a 12 amp hour gel battery, a power station is easier to carry!