Plywood use for interior panels and flooring

Tom M

I asked this question in the Packard forum also but no reply's so I ask here in the General Techy forum also.

Curious does anyone know when plywood was the norm for use in earlier model cars (20ish, 30ish years) that had used wood for the interior framing.

The plywood would have been used for interior panels and flooring?

Thanks

Frank,

Thanks for your response. I meant for the flooring, seat back and storage compartments. Not the actual framing or sills (which I had a friend redo for me out of Ash).

post-31137-143138101091_thumb.jpg

All six Pontiacs that I had, Canadian 1926-31 inclusive, had plywood as the front floor board and toe boards. The supporting framing was solid wood and the back floorboard was one half board and one half metal.

My 29 Buick was the same.

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Two Saturdays ago I spent the time reinstalling some new and some of the original wood for the interior.

In the forth picture you can see some of the original wood. The one with the 468-503 is an original marking. I left that one unpainted when I went and sprayed the rest of the wood with some truck bed coating.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Thanks all for your inputs. We all learn something new everyday on our old beloved hunks of Iron :)

post-31137-143138104493_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143138104494_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143138104495_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143138104495_thumb.jpg

Guest Curt Fouse

I had to replace all the wood (except some of the wood in the doors) in my 1930 Buick model 57. The only plywood that I found was the roof slats. These strips were about 1/4 Inch thick by 2 inches wide. I was able to salvage the wood in the doors by saturating it with liquid epoxy. The floor pans were metal in the Buick.

Good luck. Curt

Edited by Curt Fouse (see edit history)

Guest pete324rock

I have used a flooring material called(spelling) meranti, or maybe marenti board, thin and strong but workable and the proper thickness, for door panels. I think the wood is imported. ok I checked and it is Meranti....also somewhat endangered and used for boats as well

Edited by pete324rock
more info (see edit history)