Any of guys with older cars here...

Guest CL_Reatta

Guest CL_Reatta

Well trouble is once again coming from my MG instead of my Reatta (well the reatta isnt running so that can help) My main leaf on my spring for the MG cracked in half yesterday and the wheel hits inside the wheel well. Ordering a new spring wont help me becuase I need it by saturday, has anyone ever jerry rigged a spring just to make it thru the day or whatever? I have thought of the idea of bolting a new piece of steel over the crack, then drilling holes in the leaves to have the new piece of steel sort of hold the leaf together?

Edited by CL_Reatta (see edit history)

I have thought of the idea of bolting a new piece of steel over the crack, then drilling holes in the leaves to have the new piece of steel sort of hold the leaf together?
Do yourself a favor and forget that idea. Three reasons why:

1. It is dangerous

2. You will spend more on drill bits trying to drill a hole in the spring than a used spring will cost.

3. It is dangerous

Guest SwiftBuicks

If you can't afford a rental and need a car Saturday, try stealing one Friday night. Most of us old guys here have done that at one time or another in their automotive careers. :)

Guest CL_Reatta

Hmm, well I know that drilling holes in leaf springs isnt exactly a smart idea, but this would just be so that it can be used Saturday, then brought home and sit until a new spring can be ordered. And as for stealing a car Friday night, I think I will pass for now.... It isnt that important!.... maybe :rolleyes:

Hmm, well I know that drilling holes in leaf springs isnt exactly a smart idea, but this would just be so that it can be used Saturday, then brought home and sit until a new spring can be ordered. And as for stealing a car Friday night, I think I will pass for now.... It isnt that important!.... maybe :rolleyes:
The road to <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Ron/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>disaster is paved with good intentions.

Guest CL_Reatta

There seems to be no place around here that can help, Moss motors wouldn't overnight a new spring for me. So all my time and money for this one day is now essentially wasted

Guest CL_Reatta

well, I dont think enterprise or hertz will rent me a 69 MG Midget... I did shed some new light that this set of springs a local shop has might fit mine, waiting confirmation from the Midget forum guys though

I don't know your reason for needing the car so quick, but you might try The Roadster Factory in Armagh PA. They are closer and good with immediate needs.

Can't help you with website info, but they should be easy to find.

Tom T

Second choice would be Victoria British out of Lenaxa KS. You are more likely to get immediate help, however from The Roadster Factory.

Frankly, if you were in Chicago, we could probably get you on the road. Now!!

Tom T

When my Austin Marina spring broke I tried welding it first, it did not last.

I brought it to a truck spring shop they made me a new set and gave then more ark.

It took a a day.

The only other option is to get measurements and head to a salvage yard and

look for a match.

Have you check the MG forum maybe some one has a list of copatible springs?

Guest CL_Reatta

HAHA Ya that was my last resort... just keep out of the cruise lanes.. but by some miracle a local spring shop had some old ones sitting on a shelf,.... they are higher than the other side, but 150 pounds of ballasts fixes that, just got them done and off I go!

Although spring steel is tempered and different that "mild steel", I recall reading about folks that have welded leaf springs. Suggest you check w/local welders and see if any have experience w/springs. It may be a way to get you by for a while.

I've got a 1976 MG Midget and just had the same work done on mine. It is more than just replacing the broken spring. The other leaves need to be re-formed and the brackets and bushings need to be replaced. The labor on that job was $260. This work was done by a "spring" shop in Kalamazoo,MI.

Guest CL_Reatta

Well after doing this job on the one side I can see why labor is $260, not very fun. I'm not looking forward to doing the otherside this week, but it has to be done

Guest CL_Reatta

Well it was the Woodward dream cruise, which according to statistics, about 40,000 cars show up. Although being part of it I dont get to see very many of what is there, but I never see many classic British cars there, even when I was only a spectator