Sign in to follow this  
daveagain909

velcro coming loose.

On my black convertible the velcrow that holds the headliner to the top along the back of the side windows has lost its ability to hold, the head liner can not be pemanetly attached because the velcrow connection needs to be released every time you put the top down, The previous owner added new strips of velcrow to both sides but that has a problem when it is hot out the adhesive used on the 3m velcrow strips gets so hot that it gets gooing and comes loose, then when it cools off it stays in place, Does anyone have a recommendation of what adhesive or off the shelf self adhesive velcrow strips could be used that will not react to the heat?

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

I'd get some velcro strips without adhesive and use a 3M upholstery adhesive to attach it. If you can't find that then a GOOD industrial contact cement should work well.

Dont use glue.

You can sew velcro (well I dont know if YOU can sew) it is possible to sew it hows that?

My wife does it all the time - find a someone who can sew and some industrial strength thread, it wont come off for a long time. An upholstery place could do it I would think if you want to spend extra $.

You can't sew it because the velcro is attached to metal tabs on the top frame. I have had luck with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. To make it hold better I cut new velcro about twice the length of the metal tabs and wrapped it all the way around the tab. Make sure you buy the correct type of velcro: the kind with the short, smooth "hooks" doesn't stick to the back side of the headliner flaps as well as the type with the longer, smaller "hooks".

Mark

Just dont use the adhesive velcro, I bought some industrial strength stuff for my miata, yes it holds great, but in the heat the adhesive drips down and it sticks to everything

Install two button snaps on the flap that has the velcro and the velcroed metal area on the top that is parallel with the rear of the window. Just be sure to unsnap them before lowering the top. "Snaps" as in snaps, ever have a jacket with snaps on it?

Great idea Ranger - I wonder if you have a car that you would like to eventually show if the modification would cost points? (queation for Jim or another Judge most likely)

I will give it a try and then I will put a sticker on the switches used when putting down the top to remind me to unsnap before putting down top.