Accelerator Starting

Guest gary1943

Guest gary1943

Hi!

I have a 1937 Buick with a Carter WDC #633 carburetor. As I understand this carb is actually for a 1948 Buick 8 248 cu inch engine. I have found references that said that the 1948 Buick 8 had an accelerator start feature like my 1937.

My 1937 Buick will start by pushing down the accelerator. However, the original vacuum starter switch on the intake manifold is not connected electrically or mechanically. But there appears to be some sort of electrical/mechanical device that is bolted between my Carter carb and the intake manifold. Is this a vacuum starter switch equivalent from a 1948 Buick?

Everthing works okay I'm just wondering how it works.

Gary Cline

Guest gary1943

Hi!

Yes, a picture is attached. What I believe is the "accelerator switch" is underneath the carb. It is a couple of inches tall. It appears black compared to the carb. I "arrowed" it in the pictures. I believe that the original "vacuum start switch" wires were switched over to it when it was installed. They're on the laft side in pic. Txs!

Gary Cline

post-62890-143138100636_thumb.jpg

Guest Straight eight

That is the switch that permits using the gas pedal go engage the starter.

There is a metal marble in side resting in a tube placed on a downward angle.

This permits the ball bearing to roll downhill making contact with the contacts that are fastened to the two wires. When the engine starts, vacuum pulls the ball bearing away from the contacts where it stays until the vacuum stops and it can roll downhill to make contact once more.

There is also a safety in the wiring conected to the generator that will not permit the switch to operate if the generator is generating.

Edited by Straight eight (see edit history)