rarest Buicks

Guest GS70Stage1

Guest GS70Stage1

anyone interested in getting a list together of the rarest? Maybe need to agree on definition - I was thinking models vs. color combinations or options, etc. I know production on my 70 GS Stage1 convertible is 232. Or is Stage1 an option package vs. model?

Guest Redwind89

How about the 1986 Lesabre Gran National 117 made all in black or the 1986 Century Gran Sports 1029 made all in black. Also all 89 Lesabre limited came with the full chrome trim package, that's how you told which one were limited and which ones were custom.

Edited by Redwind89 (see edit history)

Rare?? Debatable??

How about a 1913 model 31 Buick touring car with acetylene starting system? Although it was the most popular model in 1913 (they made 10,000 of them), nobody knows how many were made with this starting system or how many of those with this starting system blew up....!

I have only seen a couple of these cars in the BCA and do not recall seeing this starting system in either of them.

'The Rarest' will always be up for debate, because what is the basis for being rare, is it the options that make it very low production, or is it the car itself irregardless of its options? Example: a 1964 4-speed Wildcat with a/c and AM/FM, or a 53 Roadmaster Estate Wagon. 64 Wildcats aren't particularly rare, but 4-speeds with air are, whereas the factory made only 653 RM Estate wagons total. Either way they are rare, but for different reasons. Excluding 1 of 1 pre-production and factory show cars, there are a some Buicks equipped in certain ways that have very low production numbers. I have a 65 Wildcat Custom Coupe with a 3-on-the-tree and factory A/C, with the huge production total of 4. 18 Custom Coupes had the 3-speeds, 5 had posi (which mine also has), and 4 had A/C.

Great question, though! It'll be neat to see what rare and unique Buicks others have.

Matt

It would probably be easy enough to compile rarest by model built...even though there are errors / omissions, the Standard Catalog of Buick lists production numbers. However, they don't always have sub-production numbers such as special packages.

If you start getting into options / colours, that gets nearly impossible. I know it has been researched for some years / models, but can anyone tell me how many 1941 Specials were built with paint code 551 (1940 code for silver over Monterey blue - BCA judging manual has this incorrect compared to the Ditzler chart at autocolorlibrary.com - Color Chip Selection )

I seem to have stumbled onto some relatively (but not extremely) rare cars myself:

1976 Buick Century Indy Pace Car replica - 1290 (I think some sources say 1263)

1961 Invicta convertible - 3953

1954 Century Estate Wagon - 1563

1929 McLaughlin-Buick Model 51 - 7014 listed for production for Buick...I'm guessing McLaughlin-Buick perhaps 10% of that...Dave Corbin has total numbers, but I don't think they are broken down by model.

1966 Wildcat Custom Coupe - over 10000 built, but again a Canadian car

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Original production was in the neighborhood of 33,000 cars . But according to the count in the last Bugle Roster I was sent there are 18 cars like mine (including mine) currently in the BCA.

Dan

I'm with you Mark and Dave...I was thinking a 1911 Model 38. I believe there is only one left. Also the 1908 Model S (T-head). Actually any of the T-head models are few. My 1913 Model 30 Roadster has the Disco unit on the dash, but I am missing the priming cups and tubing.

Respectfully,

Chris Paulsen

McPherson, Kansas

There was an early T head Buick at the 100 years of GM parade in Flint last year. It was dazzling. :) Any car that has survived WW1, and all the wars since, has acheived a real mile stone in my opinion. Just thinking of the conditions of the roads in those early years, coupled with the scrap drives of the wars, it is a small wonder that any of these cars have survived. Dandy Dave!

Guest DaveCorbin

Let me get my 2 cents worth in on this one. Buick factory data shows that all the Buicks on the following list have 1 thing in common:

1929 model 26X

1927 model 26CC

1958 model 530

1936 model 66SOX

What's in common? Buick only EVER built 1 car of that model, period!

Note that the 1926 26S isn't on that list, even though only 1 was built in 1926, as the 26 S was built in other years too. There are several other models at 10 TOTAL or less, including 1909 model 6A with 6 built only in that year.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Let me add 1 more if you want to look at options:

1963 Wildcat Convertible 425 4 speed positraction. Total production 1.

If you want survivors:

1938 Model 48 Self-shifter: 1 or maybe 2.

I'm a part owner of the 63 and the owner of the 38.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

And 1 more on the survivor list:

1 1908 S

It appears to be the ONLY surviving Buick built at the plant in Jackson, Michigan. I found it in my research.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Ben:

There are no pictures of these one-offs that I'm aware of. The X indicates that the car was made for export. The 530 is a 1958 model 53 that was what Buick calls a cowl job, in other words, a frame, the rear fenders and the normal part of a car back to the windshield and instrument panel. These went to folks who made ambulances and custom bodies.

The 63 Wildcat can be seen on the Forum at "Me and My Buick". My 38 looks like any other 1938 2 door Special that's black with a tan interior. What makes it odd is the transmission. It was at Flint in 2003 and was the first self shifter ever at a Buick national. In 2008, there were 2 at Flint, a convertible and a coupe, both also only survivors.

Regards, Dave Corbin

I have a 38 McLaughlin Buick 4 dr sedan. Its 1 of 1, of the 1938 Buick Special 4 dr sedans that I own. How's that for rare.

Gee didn't realize this was a strictly serious thread.

ok, well the canadian Pontiac , is a 1 of 1226. Add the options of PW, PS PB, 348 ( largest offered in 58 (Canada), air ride suspension ans sportable radio option ( very expensive in 58 terms), It would be a low production piece. Too bad they don't keep the stats on optioned cars, but you don't run accross too many like it at car gatherings.

And, while there were 47 Buick converts made in the 10 s of thousands, relatively few exist , as the preferred car for restoration in the 60's and 70's era was the caddy convert, or the smaller cars ...chev, fords. So in proportion to # made these would seem to have fewer survivors.

Edited by ewing (see edit history)

My 22-6-55 is one of 900, there is another one on Prewar Buick, and another incomplete one in AACA. Mine is frame #856901 the 201st built. It shares a lot of components from 1923, rear suspension, drum headlights and cowl lights(plated brass).

John

Everyone can quibble about rarity in terms of cars equipped with certain options, so it looks like everyone has a different definition of the term "rare" just as the term "original" seems to have evolved over the years. Looking at the production figures in the BCA Roster I see some of the rarest as being the 2 1956 Model 68s and 2 1957 Model 68s. Do we include chassis - cowl units?? To me those are specialty units. I like to think of rare in terms of actual complete production cars. This is an interesting subject and it is interesting to watch the different opinions emerge.

I've sat back for awhile watching this thread progress.

To identify the rarest Buicks is easy, just go directly to production numbers.

If we are going to talk rarest existing vehicles the answer is not so easy.

Let me throw this one in for discussion!!

It's owned by a friend of mine and he bought it from a museum in the USA which was closing down a number of years ago.

It's a 1958 Century model 66R 2 door Riviera. The books I have tell me 8,110 units the same as this were built in 1958, rare but certainly not the rarest of them all.

BUT, this car was ordered direct from the factory by the museum and had never been registered or used. This is a new 1958 Century. Several years ago my friend who is in his late 70's decided he wanted to drive a new 1958 Century so carefully went through the car and had it registered. I think the car now has something like 140 miles on it and probably won't do anymore!!!

So how rare is that, a 1958 Century coupe with 140 original miles.

post-31244-143138102926_thumb.jpg

post-31244-14313810293_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138102933_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

I've got a couple of rare ones. Mimi, the '42 pick-up, is the only one ever built at the factory. I have a '39 model 61-A with the Sunshine Turret Top, only one I've ever found in the Century series, except for the parts car that I sold a couple of months ago. I have a '42 model 44-C, as far as I can tell, only 4 known, and one of them is now a street rod, which I used to own also, and at that time, I owned 1/2 of the total inventory. It made the cover of Rod and Custom, it's beautiful. And finally, a '42 model 46-S, Black Out model, again, the only one that I know of. If there are any more out there, I'd like to converse with the owner. Oops, almost forgot, I have a Canadian '42 model 41, I only know of one other. Thats it, I think, Paul

You hit the nail on the head. Happily, Dave Corbin has been able to do that for us.

I would argue that the word rare (like original) is tossed around incorrectly, rather than having evolved. For instance, the compound carburetion for 1941 is almost always described as "rare", yet it was standard on all lines but the Special, and was available on the Special - between the SE and SSE models, as well as the others that were equipped with it, likely most Specials had this, making the single carburetor a rarer item.

For those cars, where driveline / option numbers can be attributed (frankly, I know of none other than muscle cars and newer), yes you can drill down. Like Ewing suggested, there are always ways to make it one of one (hey, this is the only one with VIN ##########!) :rolleyes: I have never cared for knowing this was the only white car with purple interior with the X engine, so long as others of the model have white with purple interior with other engines or others have X engine with different colour combinations. Needless to say, going beyond production numbers gets into dispute between what can be verified and how many folks care.

Granted, I am interested in certain things...like the Texas Triumviates Wildcat - it is a rare driveline combination in a convertible package. You may never see another one. However, I don't care so much about the rarity of the colour or interior, unless it happens to be something I fall in love with (which is rather unlikely).

Anyway, I should stop blathering now.

That '58 is an incredible story and find. I'd almost be afraid to own that.

You hit the nail on the head. Happily, Dave Corbin has been able to do that for us.

You can do that for those cars that were properly recorded. That's why I said my 82 GN was one to provoke lively discussion. They only recorded the 82 GN's as 215 built since they were all to have a 4.2L normally aspirated motor. Research with Buick revealed they had no idea the turbocharged cars were ever built, because they were not supposed to build them. It would be nice to have a definitive number for these factory "mistakes", but that will never happen unless somebody at Buick recorded the numbers and we just never found that right person.

Or do we not count because we weren't counted originally. :confused: Oh the shame of being an un-documented vehicle from the factory. :(:rolleyes:

Or do we not count because we weren't counted originally. :confused: Oh the shame of being an un-documented vehicle from the factory. :(:rolleyes:

Chuckle.

I guess that is sort of what I've been trying to get at...for most years, we can't drill down because there are no records beyond production numbers for a model. Similarly with "mistakes" like your car or some of the controversial topics (like dual quads on certain years / models).

That brings up additional questions...like whether or not you could "prove" to a judging team that your car is correct if the factory documentation doesn't support it. Of course that isn't a topic I'd like to delve into....

Guest Dan Cook

It seems like this is more like bragging rights on each one's individual cars and it's good to brag when you are proud of what you are driving.

As every year passes every car owned in this club and every other club becomes more rare. I think rather than use production numbers we should consider how many cars of each year that are left to really tell what is rare.

I agree with Thriller as to not really caring about colour or options on a car and mostly I don't care if the car is rare as long as it is mine and I'm proud to drive it and people notice it. The general public and a good share of car club members can't tell the difference between models unless they own one.

Mine is a '72 Electra Limited 2 door and I know 4 other members have one. They probably won't win any prizes but they are go anywhere on the highway type of cars and people always notice them because they are big, try parking one in an underground garage today. So rare to me is having anything other than an egg shaped, bubble top, half plastic piece of junk the government is trying to make us buy today.

Dan

You guys haven't seen a rare Buick until you've seen a 1965 Wildcat Hearse/ambulance.

A long time ago, I once owned a '65 Wildcat Model #6269 Hearse/Ambulance. This was a Flxible Combination model that could be used as a combination ambulance or a hearse. I used this Wildcat as a daily driver. It was originally used as a rescue vehicle in a small town in Northern Illinois. The nice part of this Buick was that the wheelbase was not lengthened, so I was able to park the car in tight parking spaces.

A photo of this model can be found in "70 Years of Buick." The book also explains that this model was one of the last Combination vehicles built by Flxible. I sold it to a guy in the Chicagoland area around 1981.

I have yet to see another model like this, so I would speculate that just a few were built. Does anyone know how many of this model were built?

Dan,

I agree with you that the thread should be more about rare cars than rare colors & options; and more about cars surviving than cars produced.

My guesses as to the rarest Buicks are any 1904, and a 1981 Reatta. I once read that there are no surviving 1904's, though that seems improbable.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jeff:

There were 37 1904 model B's built. For a long while, it was thought that none did survive. However, enough bits and pieces did survive and a lot of restoration work has managed to bring the number from zero to 2. One is owned by a BCA member in California and volunteers are working on the second in Flint.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear AK Buickman:

There's a very good book about Flxble with production figures available by Robert Ebert. A "must have" book if you have a Buick with a Flxble conversion.

Regards, Dave Corbin

I believe I know which 1965 Wildcat Hearse/ambulance you speak of. If it's the one I tried to buy from the guy, he's got a far higher value system on that car than it's really worth. When I asked if he was willing to sell it, he said no, but he'd trade for a 50's Cadillac ambulance, or top notch hearse. Ahem, but that Buick is worth 1/5th the Cadillac....not a good deal. I never found another to make an offer on. Sad.

• 1 month later...