23 Model T Oil & gas leak

Guest mmichie

Guest mmichie

I'm new at antiques. There is a car show here in Manti, Utah end of August and I thought I would get my parents 23 Model T running and put it in it.

The car has been sitting for probably 10 years. I did get it to run last week. Ran around the block a few times. I have two problems I need to address.

One is gas leak. Before we ran it I clean the carb out. It leaks around the threads that holds the bowl on. There is no gasket or anything here. Should there be? If not what is the best way to seal the threads?

The other problem is an oil leak. Right on top of the Transmission behind the head is a fitting that a copper lines attaches to. This copper line goes to the front of the block down by the crank. Oil pump I assume. Also on this fitting is an electrical wire. It leaks around this fitting on the top of Trans. This is a major leak almost a continual stream off the bottom of the block. I plan on tearing into it this weekend. Can anyone give me advice on what this might be or concerns I have when taking it apart?

In my sixty years of Model T driving seems as if most of them usually have three puddles underneath: oil, gasolene, and water. I've more or less accepted the fact that as soon as I fix one leak, another will spring up somewhere else. Gasolene leaks, of course, require immediate attention for safety's sake.

Yep...it's kinda like the old saying about British cars, "If it does not leak water through the roof and oil out the bottom, it ain't British". If there's no puddle, it ain't a Model T Ford. My good friend Ash Bishop in San Diego would always take his Model T for a ride. Whenever he parked it, the 1st thing he would do is get out, go to the trunk and pull out a piece of carpet and throw it down under his engine.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

There should be a thin fiber gasket on the carb. Take the bowl off and clean everything there and then use some teflon tape on the threads to help seal it. New gaskets there shoud help cure that leak, but then being a Model T it'll start leaking somewhere else back up to the sediment bulb. For the oil leak, it is possible that the oil line to the front has become clogged. Clearn it out and you should be fine. Those external oilers still are popular accessories. There is no oil pump, it's all just splash lubrication so if that tube became blocked from the car just sitting for a few years it probably wouldn't clear on it's own.

Terry

As Terry says you have an accessory oil line that was installed to lubricate the front main. You will have to take it off and clean it and then put it back together. Make sure the tubing is not split at the flare. The post is the magneto post and should also be cleaned. As was said earlier there is no oil pump on a model t. Model T leak oil to mark their spot to make sure cheys. do not try and park in their spots. You will also find that they leak from each bolt in the pan. If this happens remove the bolt and wrap dental floss around the threads and put it back together.

You check the oil level by opening the top petcock on the pan and seeing if any oil leaks out. If it does it is too high. Open the bottom petcock and see if oil comes out. The oil should be between the two petcocks. Put in straight 30 wgt. non detergent oil. The next thing you will probably want to do is adjust the bands but you will probably need help for that or the owners manual. If you are going to drive it far you should also lubricate it.

Enjoy the car they are a lot of fun.