Lincoln Highway Primer for 2010 Iowa Nationals

Guest BJM

On the way back from the Kenosha auto auction we hit the historic Lincoln Highway. Sometime this winter or early spring I will run the Lincoln Highway from east to west and document all the historic sites related to this early American highway for those who plan to come to the 2010 Iowa BCA National meet.

The Lincoln Highway predated many highways and truth be known was no highway. I was introduced to it in mid South Dakota when a friend of mine took me down an abandoned stretch littered with old gas stations and markers.

In Iowa, the Lincoln Highway was replaced by US 30. I encourage all Buick members coming to the Iowa National meet 2010 to try and hook up with US30 if possible. For older cars you avoid Interstate 80 where the posted speed is 70 but the actual speed is around 82 mph (unless you have a Buick muscle car - smoke em' if you got em')

It does not have an abandoned gas station around every corner but is scenic. As you go west for instance from approximately Cedar Rapids to Toledo then onto Ames, you are travelling a strategically high point as a river valley runs to the south, You get great midwestern views that throw out the window the concept that Iowa is a boring "are we there yet" state of corn fields.

I encourage all of you who want packages mailed to them with mile marker specific directions to the Lincoln Highway reminders to PM me and then sometime in the spring I will mail everyone comprehensive packages free of charge = whether you are coming from the east or west - of the remaining Lincoln Highway attractions that may interest you.

There is also a Lincoln Highway Association - http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/iowa/

For now, enjoy the photos to wet your appetite for the 2010 IOWA National BCA meet.

post-43249-143138099506_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099512_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099515_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099518_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099524_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099528_thumb.jpg

post-43249-14313809953_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099533_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099536_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138099539_thumb.jpg

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Brian,

Like you, I felt the 2010 National should have some "connection" with the Lincol;n Highway Association and had mentioned this to Bill and Rick soon after the decision was made to have the meet in Ames. To date, I do not believe they have organized anything so I am sure I will take advantage of your offer.

I am also working with the Pre-War Group "After Tour" and have a few things near Ames connected with the Lincoln Highway. I will be getting to you with a PM in the near future.

Thanks for you efforts.

John

Guest Dan Cook

This is already starting to sound like a fun trip. I've driven through the mid-West but never did go through Iowa.

Did anyone see where Ames was listed as one of the 5 best places to live in AARP Magazine?

Dan

Guest GS70Stage1

Can't be positive right now I can make it but want to get on the email list. Just don't see where to send you an email with my address and that I will be coming from the east, Florida. Where would be the best place to pick it up - so I get the maximum chance to smoke tires.

Guest Dan Cook
Yes, Dan, but the winter weather makes your area of the country feel almost like summer in comparison.

Ben

Ben, you evidently mistake our area of the country for the other part of Calif. You may get colder in the winter but we are used to temps well below zero. As a matter of fact we just had a freeze last week but our official first freeze is mid September and our last frost is about May 27. Not much of a growing season.

I start making sure the Buicks are ready for the cold months by Sept. and start putting them away by the end of October. I have a beater '03 Malibu that I put studs on for the winter. If somebody hits that it's no big deal, that's why we have insurance.

Dan

All,

My direct email is - abc.moran@netzero.net or you can PM me your contact information.

As for picking up the Lincoln Highway, it is a west/east highway so from Florida you would need to intercept from Illinois. At first this might seem difficult but you have to cut over to Ames at some point - you either do it coming up I35 (north/south) or plan the trip to intercept further east.

Guest GS70Stage1

Thank you for all of this. I took I39 north going to Rochester MN Nationals, so am thinking I74 to Davenport, then 61 north to 30. Will this give me most of the sights you are recommending. Could get 30 west sooner if you think that is better. Will send you the email to get on your group too. Really neat to have a local willing to give the time to make the drive so much fun. Thank you. If you come to Orlando, I will take you around too.