48 Desoto, 6 volts to 12 volts!

Guest Billyzack

Guest Billyzack

I am getting my 48 Desoto ready for the road and think I want to convert to 12 volts. I know I need to change my bulbs and put resistors before my gauges and motors but what do I do about the generator? These cars have 6 volt generators and I don't know what to replace the six volt with. I imagine a lot of you guys have done this before but this is my first 6 volt car. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance, Billy

Well you will need a 12V generator and regulator, these are readily available for mid 50`s and on Mopars. But the big question is why would you want to do this ? A well maintained 6V system will do all you want for everyday running. If you are convinced you are going down this road there are many articles on this forum relating to the procedures.

Guest kope49

I agree you don't need to make the switch but if you do I'd recommend going with a 1 wire alternator with an internal voltage regulator. If you go to the p15-d24.com website there are numerous threads on this issue.

• 2 months later...

You don't need to change anything. The 6 volt system is fine if it is in good repair. If it is not in good repair it is easier better and cheaper to put it in good shape than tear it out and start over.

To change to 12 volts, and do it properly, is a major job. Your windshield wiper motor, radio, transmission controls and heater fan are all 6 volt. What are you going to do about them?

In the end you would probably have a hodge podge of half 6 volt, half 12 volt anyway. It would be better, and easier, to keep it all 6 volt.

Guest VITO1950

I AGREE WITH THE CONSENSUS.

IF 6V SYSTEM IS WORKING FINE THEN LEAVE IT.

IF YOU FEEL THERE IS NOT ENOUGH AMPS GENERATED WITH YOUR PRESENT SYSTEM, YOU

MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A 6V ALTERNATOR FOR YOUR POSITVE GROUND CAR.

YOU WON'T NEED TO ADD RESISTORS, CHANGE BULBS, IGN COIL, 6V TUBE-RADIO WONT WORK ON A 12V.

TRY JC Whitney .