EBAY

Guest Xprefix28truck

Guest windjamer

Im on dial up, every click is a pain. Seems like every page comes up (Best match) I have to click time ending soon . Takes like 3-5 min between pages. I just dont and never will understand why something that aint broke has to be fixed.

Guest Xprefix28truck

I was having trouble with every thing from logging on, to searches. I am on cable. I hate the new Ebay. Now when I search for 1928 Chevrolet I have to sort through all the Z 28 camaro stuff also. Pain in the butt

Guest Xprefix28truck

the worst problem is getting into my ebay. I can sign in but I can't get to my watching page. Curti, If I put the ( ) then it excludes it?

EBay Site changes, the performance hit the changes appear to cause and fee changes among other things might explain why more and more people are using other sites like Craigslist to sell automotive items.

Personally, I do not spend much time on EBay anymore for a host of reasons.

Guest raywilks

i do not like the fact you have to use paypal. i think that is e-bays way of getting a few more dollars out of my sale price. i also do not like the way you have to measure and weigh the part for shipping. i was a frequent seller for a couple years and quit last sept.

i have a ton of ford parts for sale and i need to do something with that soon. it just seems ebay keeps trying to antagonize their sellers.

Ray, The shipping rate deal on eBay is one of the dumbest things they ever came up with, as a seller I have to be very careful of now the auction looks to the bidders. I once listed an item with a $19.99 starting price and didn't look at it untill the auction was just about over. I always list the boxed weight in the item discription and my zip code, some times I'll just state the Flat Rate Box Priority mail rate if it works out best for the seller. That $19.99 auction ended with ONE BIDDER, ya think the eBay shipping rate of $140.00 may have had a reason? Shipped it fedEx Ground for $11.40. thank you eBay. After that the items heavier tham a Flat Rate Box get this disclaimer in the discription I DO NOT TRUST OR HONOR ANY SHIPPING RATES eBay TAKES UPON ITSELF TO POST IN MY AUCTIONS.........I still get some winners that do send along the stated eBay shipping along with their winning bid. They may be in Congress and continue not to read things so i keep the overage.

Ebay's shipping calculations are WAY off. I get so p.o.'d about selling something and having to pay more to ship than what ebay calculates!! I always have to add a few pounds to the shipping weight calculation to get my money out of it. I let my buyers know that if they send me what ebay says, I will refund a partial shipping cost if the actual shipping cost is a lot less than calculated. Everyone questions my system, but they always pay and I always refund. The only way you can accept other types of payments besides Paypal is if the bidder asks if it is o.k. to send a postal money order or some other payment method. If you write in your description that you will accept payment methods besides Paypal, ebay will not let you list that item. I just want to find "Mr. Ebay" and shake him until he gets it right, but since you cannot get a hold of a REAL person, I guess I am out of luck.

Edited by keiser31
misspelled a word (see edit history)

Here's a few lines I use on my auctions now. So far they've had the effect intended.

PayPal:

eBay rules now effectively mandate all payments through their PayPal service for private sellers like me, no exceptions. This was their decision, not mine.

Since I tell people I send invoices through email and do not use their invoice service, people are able to put 2+2 together pretty easy. (The invoice states PayPal or money orders only, BTW. Nobody has expected ot tried to pay by check yet.)

Shipping:

I always have a fixed shipping costs for U.S. and Canadian bidders based on the maximum distance shipped (which is irrelevant for U.S. Media Mail used for books/records/DVDs/etc.) and the costs of the auctions (eBay and PayPal).

For international bidders I have to get fancy:

International biiders are welcome, and will have to pay shipping and handling costs of actual postage plus $2.50 to cover eBay and PayPal coasts.

Most of my auctions start at 99 cents so this is a necessity, $2.50 being the average cost for a $5 auction. It I sell something over $5 eBay wins, less I win. This statement is still usable on eBayMotors as is, but for regular eBay listings you must attach a fixed shipping cost to cover every country to still do this. I do, but one at least 50% higher than the maximum I'd expect the item to ship for. I then add to the auction in bold print:

eBay has also modified it's listing procedure so that international shipping cost needs to be pre-listed, even though they'll likely vary depending on which of 150 countries the buyer may be located in. International bidders, do not pay for this item before I send a revised, purchase-specific shipping cost in an invoice (which will almost certainly be substantially less than the figure listed below and in eBay's initial notice to the winner)! Thanks.

Most of my regular eBay items (records from my collection mostly) lately have been shipped overseas. Only one person so far paid the 50% over price, which I promptly refunded.

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

Ebay is definitely doing some quirky things today. Links won't open, pages won't load.

They may never admit it publicly, but it sure looks like their Web site is under a significant cyber attack by hackers, either today, or they are installing new security protocols based upon recent attacks.

Joe

Ebay blew it bigtime.

The site does not work the same as it did as far as searches.

I learned how to search for stuff just fine since I joined in 1999...and now they changed it.

Example: I used to be able to go to Antique parts and I could use the "drop down" feature on the "search" box which when I clicked it, it would show EVERYthing I had ever searched for. So, say I searced NASH and then finished that, then wanted to click the dropdown later to search for 32 FORD, it ALWAYS stayed in Antique parts.

Now, once you search for some item in the search box and then decide to try another type part in that box, you most likely will be in the same catagory you were first searching, EXAMPLE: I am looking for an 18" wire wheel for my NASH 1932. I first get to Antique, then I need to click "more options" to find WHEELS,TIRE,HUBCAPS. Ok, Then I type "18" and see what's there. Then I go type in 'WIRE" in the active searh box, and now I used to be STILL in Wheels/hubcaps, but I am really in parts. So I end up wire WIRE terminals, WIRE as in electrical, Wire Harnesses, etc.

Sure, maybe I can waste what's left of my active brain trying to learn how to do SAVE SEARCHES, but I am just too dam busy to put up with it.

EBAY< if you are reading this by webbots, I used to QUICKLY do 20 search items per session, per day. I was down to just TWO until 2 weeks ago, and now I am doing ZERO. I also refuse to put my stuff up, because I know the watch counts are way down. i can wait till it improves or doesn't.

I first complained on Ebays Boards on the thread called the NEW EBAY MOTORS on page 10. Ebay actually PHONED me a few nights later, begging me to try listing a few things. Matter of fact, the guy said he would email me his email in case I did not get the bid price I normally do, and HE would give me "sellers credits" to make up the difference. He never sent it !!

I think ebay hired the bunch of losers that AOL once employed.

Guest Xprefix28truck
Ebay is definitely doing some quirky things today. Links won't open, pages won't load.

They may never admit it publicly, but it sure looks like their Web site is under a significant cyber attack by hackers, either today, or they are installing new security protocols based upon recent attacks.

Joe

That is what I was originally asking. That is what I was thinking when I asked the question. Seems at times the whole system is goofing up.

Guest Xprefix28truck

I hate the new search system also. The most used search that I had was for the 1928 Chevrolet. That's all I want to look at....PERIOD!! Up until a couple weeks ago I could do it, Now I have to sort through all the Camaro and Chevelle parts too. I freekin hate it. If I wanted to wade through all that stuff I would search for Camaro, Chevelle, or Z28.. Although I am not a big fan of Craigslist either. TO MUCH SPAM involved..

I have bought and sold on ebay since 1999 and have seen many changes come and go. For the last few years they have been shifting their emphasis away from the little guy private user to the high volume Powersellers that make their living on the site. Being a "little guy", I haven't liked all the changes but I'm also practical enough to know they will not change things back just because I am not happy. Nothing in the world stays the same forever, you just have to get over it and learn some new stuff. Ebay is still the largest marketplace in the world and in my opinion still the best place to find the oddball auto parts or auto collectibles we are all into. If anyone knows a better source please let me know and I will go there.

[quote=Jim Rohn;674389

the only person they are coddling now are the buyers

Jim, I totally agree with that. Have you seen the latest change coming in October? A seller will not be able to quote a separate charge for insurance because THE SELLER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SHIPMENT UNTIL IT REACHES THE BUYER. If i was delivering it myself that would be fine but that seems crazy when depending on UPS or USPS.

Jim, I totally agree with that. Have you seen the latest change coming in October? A seller will not be able to quote a separate charge for insurance because THE SELLER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SHIPMENT UNTIL IT REACHES THE BUYER. If i was delivering it myself that would be fine but that seems crazy when depending on UPS or USPS.

Well, last week for the very first time, something that I sold on ebay was shipped and lost. It was a 1930 DeSoto radiator cap. It was wrapped well and large enough not to lose. If I have to insure everything from October on through ebay, the buyer will simply have to eat that cost because I am NOT going to suffer a loss from some shipper's mistake.

It is ironic but if you go back about 10 months ago (if I remember correctly) after Hershey last year, there was a thread on this site with a discussion about Hershey and swap meets being taken over by Ebay sales. Ebay may have blown that trend. I used to check out certain car & parts listings at least once a day. Almost continuous on days that I was bidding on something. Now maybe once a week.

I hate the new search system also. The most used search that I had was for the 1928 Chevrolet. That's all I want to look at....PERIOD!! Up until a couple weeks ago I could do it, Now I have to sort through all the Camaro and Chevelle parts too. I freekin hate it. If I wanted to wade through all that stuff I would search for Camaro, Chevelle, or Z28.. QUOTE]

Kent,

Your note got my attention. I just did a search of all EbaY Motors for 1928 Chevrolet. I got 109 results and they were all for 1928, no Z28 or Chevelle. Try it again, one other thing Ebay likes to do is start up their new site changes without proper debugging, just like Microsoft. The users find all the problems but eventually they get it working.

Well, last week for the very first time, something that I sold on ebay was shipped and lost. It was a 1930 DeSoto radiator cap. It was wrapped well and large enough not to lose. If I have to insure everything from October on through ebay, the buyer will simply have to eat that cost because I am NOT going to suffer a loss from some shipper's mistake.

Keiser, this has also happened to me which is why I pushed insurance. Reality is that most sellers shipping fees will go up to cover it, Ebay even suggests this for more expensive items. The bad part is you will get downrated by some buyers for having your ship cost too high. This sucks.

Here is my standard listing words in regards to insurance (on all items sent through the Post Office, anything else goes Fedex and IS covered):

We take pride in packing your items well for safe delivery, HOWEVER we CAN NOT be responsible for items once they leave our hands (especially 1st Class mail). PLEASE request insurance coverage if you desire it BEFORE you complete the transaction.

Guest THEHKP7M13

As a buyer and not really a seller I have noticed ofver the last 5 years I have been checking craigslist and hemmings more often and ebay has fell off the radar. SHOCKINGLY if its a common item like a late model light bulb for example or cleaning supplies AMAZON smokes ebay on price.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Kent,

Your note got my attention. I just did a search of all EbaY Motors for 1928 Chevrolet. I got 109 results and they were all for 1928, no Z28 or Chevelle. Try it again, one other thing Ebay likes to do is start up their new site changes without proper debugging, just like Microsoft. The users find all the problems but eventually they get it working.

TexRiv, Last night ws the first time in over a week that my search worked out the way it used too. I ws going to post about it , but never did. Thanks, Kent