WTB Packard oil filter lines

Guest John_Lawrence

I believe the oil filter lines for the mechanical lifter (282/288) and hydraulic lifter (356/327) engines are different. Also, oil filters from from different manufactures may be connected differently. It is not a straight forward situation it depends on engine and filter manufacturer. There was much discussion on this topic on the PackardInfo.com - General Site News - New Part Cross Reference Database Added - Packard Articles website some time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

I don't know the dimensions since I do not have any lines. The oil filter was an option in 1950. I found a NOS oil canister (and element) and would like to install it on my engine. I can get the name off the canister if that would help you determine which lines I need. My car is a Deluxe Eight if that makes any difference.

Paul

Guest John_Lawrence

pistoncollector, to which John is your message addressed? I recommend you go to the packardinfo.com site referenced above, and search the posting on the extensive discussion on oil filters. Other than that, I can not offer any more advice. Good luck on you project

John Lawrence, thanks for the reply and the site reference.

Jolly John, if you have any lines that you think might work please let me know.

Packards42, thanks for the recommendation. I guess I can continue to change the oil but after only 1000 miles it seems such a waste. Since my prewar Packards have oil filters that were installed at the factory it just seems to be an oversight for the post war cars not to have one.

Best ...... Paul

Guest 54packman

if you wish i can take a couple of photos of the lines set for you, i just bend and flare the new lines as i need them, One thing thought the oil filter is fed from where the oil pressure sender is installed in the block, through a "T" but you have to have an orface in the "T" to keep oil pressure at lower RPM's...

Guest John_Lawrence

pistoncollector, which engine does your Packard have, and which brand is the oil filter you are planning on using? It makes a difference.

• 1 month later...

Fram supplied fittings with a restrictor in them.

This is to keep oil pressure up at idle but also to prevent pressure to build up in the filter.

The restrictor hole in the fitting is smaller than a normal fitting.

More oil will flow out of the filter than can come in so preventing pressure built up in the filter housing and leaking gaskets.