What model Studebaker ??

Guest Legendsspeedshop

Guest Legendsspeedshop

Hi My name is Dan and I am new to this site but from what I have already read there are some very knowledgeable people here. I purchased this Studebaker as a 1930 Dictator it has an I8 engine with 9 main caps , dual side mounts , and the original interior. the headlights appear to have once had a cross between them but i do not have it. From what I can tell the car is all original and rust free as it was in a storage container for over 40 years. Please let me know if you have any details as to this particular model Thanks again -Dan Stockton , Ca Video Link Here >>>>

post-63074-14313809806_thumb.jpg

post-63074-143138098062_thumb.jpg

post-63074-143138098063_thumb.jpg

post-63074-143138098065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Legendsspeedshop
Forgot some typing (see edit history)

Guest Good Old Days

:cool:

Yep, looks like a 1930 Dictator 8! The louvres are right and the engine also.

Nice find, after 40 years it still looks very good.

We all dream about finding cars like this. Is a very drivable car also with a 8 cylinder! Don't know anything about having a cross somewhere.

Take good care of this one and good luck with it!:D

Carine

Guest Legendsspeedshop

Thanks for your comments, unfortunately we have to sell it and it is going up on Ebay this weekend. I just wanted as much info on the car as possible before I list it. There is not a lot of places online to get specs on the Dictator 8. I believe the engine is rated @ 132 Hp correct me if I am wrong. Thanks again -Dan

1930 was the first year for the Dictator Straight 8 engine. The model name for this car is a FC Dictator (same car with a 6 cylinder engine is a GL Dictator). The engine specifications are: 221 cubic inch, with a 3 1/16 X 3 ¾ bore/stroke, and 70 horsepower. The only Studebaker in the 1930s that had a horsepower rating of 132 was the 1933 President with the 337 cubic inch straight 8 engine. The 1930 Dictator has a wheelbase of 115 inches. Between the headlights this car would have had a chrome bar that had the number 8 in the center of an oval wraith. This feature identified the car as having a straight 8 engine.

Guest stude8

Mark's description is accurate about your cars model features, this is the factory brochure page showing that model vehicale for 1930. Stude8

post-31139-143138098446_thumb.jpg

HI Dan

I saw your car on for sale on ebay. If anyone is interested here is the link.

Studebaker:eBay Motors (item 290337931168 end time Aug-17-09 18:21:58 PDT)

Mark....You called it perfectly!

Beware: On the early Commander and Dictator straight eights, be careful with the oil pump. If they have not been checked, repaired or updated, you can have a pump failure.

I have known many owners that have not checked this and have knocked the babbitts out of a rod or two and destroyed the crank shaft.

:cool:The Commander :cool:

Edited by The Commander (see edit history)

Guest Legendsspeedshop

Thanks for all your info , I am selling this for my father and I like to have the most info as possible when I sell something so as to not mislead anyone. My father went thru the oil pump prior to firing the engine so I think it should be fine. We have listed it as a No reserve auction so we are confident it will sell. I really wish we could afford to keep her she rides very smooth going down the road and was a really rare find for us. Thanks again for all your advice and info-Dan

Edited by Legendsspeedshop (see edit history)

Mark, can you tell me anything about this this car?

The Commander: So, you want to know something about the lipstick red 1929 FD Commander? I knew this car when it still had the factory original gray/black paint job. It was my very first car that I ever owned, bought when I was in high school in 1975. I owned the Commander for over 20 years. I have attached a picture of what she looked like before becoming a shameless painted lady.

Profile_MH_02.jpg

The picture above is me with the 1929 Commander on the day I purchased her in 1975 in Rocklin, California.

Profile_MH_01.jpg

This is the Commander not long before I sold her. In this picture you can see the original paint color and the 8 bar emblem between the headlights.