A Rare 58 Limited

Guest Mike Hogan

Guest Buick Bonery

One of my customers was good enough to stop by the yard with his beautiful 58 Limited convertible with a continental kit. It was his grandmother's car. Air poise does not work, but that is his next project. Pete, if you think there is a story for the Bugle, he is open to it.

post-55336-143138097993_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138097996_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138097999_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138098003_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138098008_thumb.jpg

I wonder whether the car wore this continental kit when his grandmother drove it. I first saw this unusual continental kit style at the Buick 75th anniversary meet in Flint in 1978 (on a black '58 Super 2-door), and there are online photos of one of these on a '58 Limited in Sweden. So, the manufacturer for these '58 kits sold at least a few of them. It's hard to imagine that '58 Limited owners did not consider their cars to be sufficiently gargantuan in size before adding the continental kit!

Cool car. I'd love to hear more about it in the Bugle -- or here.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Brian, like you said, gargantuan. I think you need to park where the semi's park or look for a double space somewhere.

I have to say that the 1958 Buicks are my favorites.

stevo

Yes, that is a rare car and we need to do an article about it. Looks like the upholstery has been redone. Any car that has been in the same family for 51 years has a good story behind it. Ask the owner if he will send me some photos and an article about the car and its history, and I will find the room for it in the magazine.

Pete Phillips

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Guest 60electra225

They certainly didn't spend too much time styling the continental kit did they ? Really looks out of place to my mind.

Buick Bonery,

Have watched (DROOLED) over this post long enough that I can now comment. First, WoW, WoW, WoW! Have I stated my preference (bias) clearly?

Owning two Limited two doors most of my driving life have met many opinions of 'love them or hate them' but for me the convert is the prized possession. Looked at a yellow convert with yellow interior near here back in the 90's that had been put in a dirt floor barn with a leaky roof and the top down (floors completely gone) and politely turned it down when the fellow asked 12,000 for it knowing what the chrome plating would cost let alone the extensive bodywork and panel fabrication and other work required.

This black beauty while having a few owner personalization's is what I dream of. I have seen pictures of 58's with the continental kits and while I would have to extend the garage in order to get it in prefer the style pictured versus the full bumper extension kit offered by Continental Kits in BC. IMHO there are some cars that can wear a full bumper extension but the Buick looks better with this one. Buick offered this one style but is extremely rare to find today. One note (not meant to be criticism) the emblem mounted near the top of the spare tire cover is the one that mounts on the trunk hence the personalization. At least it is Buick model year appropriate. To me that is what makes this hobby fun, to see how someone else enjoys their car.

Question, do you know if this car was ordered with this kit or was it a Dealer installed option?

Thanks for posting pics of this rare car!

Guest Buick Bonery

I don't know if it was factory or dealer installed. He is in Reno at Hot August Nights right now. I'm sure I'll be talking to him next week when he gets back.

Guest my3buicks

This type conti kit was also avialble on the 57's - I had a flier on this set-up when I had my 57's, but no longer have that collection of literature. The 57 version was a little more rounded/ arched and actuallt did not add that much lenght to the car as it replaced the rear bumper and the tailights stuck out further than the bumper.

• 2 years later...
Guest scottmello1

This car was my Dads, he passed away in 2010 and ive inherited the car.

My dad was really excited when he brought the car out to the Bonery, and im trying to figure out what im going to do with it now (other than cruise around every weekend and enjoy the hell out of it). It needs some things done to it, but im not exactly any good at that sort thing.

I believe this continental kit on a Super was at the Kansas City National.

There was also one at the Phoenix National.

I have added an aftermarket kit advert that I encountered in the early 1990s.

And finally, the '58 shown is in the Cussler Collection and is a Limited with minor mods to the rear fenders.

Dan

post-54279-143138764178_thumb.jpg

post-54279-143138764182_thumb.jpg

post-54279-14313876422_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caballero2
Correct "Cussler" from "Custler" (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Oh, if only I'd had a Granny with that much style...

Neither of my grandmothers even drove, as far as I know. My dad's father owned just one car, an Orillia, Ontario-built Tudhope, for only two years - 1912 and 1913. He was financially wiped out in a real estate crash in 1913 and never owned another car.

In the 'Teens, '20s and '30s, my mom's father drove a REO, a Whippet, and a Hudson Terraplane, among many others no doubt. His last one was a rather plain '56 Pontiac sedan, which he gave to my parents in about 1962. Nice colours though, turquoise and white.

i love continental kits - but only on 1939 to 1948 Lincoln Continentals. But hey, if my family had treasured and kept a magnificent car like this, I'd be very happy to build a bump-out on my garage to accommodate.

OK Scott: Pretty sharp and VERY valuable. My suggestion, look around for a mechanic that knows these cars. If you find a person you trust that will do a good job at a reasonable price you've hit pay dirt. Ask some of the people in the Sac. chapter where they go and you might get a lead too. If anybody knows, I do, and that is when they are mechanically solid they are fun to drive and can be very reliable.....which translates into enjoyment. Good luck, Mitch.

Guest sintid58

I am sorry to all the fans of any continental kits but the first thing I would do with any that was on a car I bought would be to remove it and sell it. I just don't like the looks of them on any car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scottmello1
OK Scott: Pretty sharp and VERY valuable. My suggestion, look around for a mechanic that knows these cars. If you find a person you trust that will do a good job at a reasonable price you've hit pay dirt. Ask some of the people in the Sac. chapter where they go and you might get a lead too. If anybody knows, I do, and that is when they are mechanically solid they are fun to drive and can be very reliable.....which translates into enjoyment. Good luck, Mitch.

actually im living in Hayward now (noticed thats where you were also)....so if you have any suggestions....

Guest scottmello1
Scott, being the fourth generation to own such a car is great. I don't believe it ever showed up in the Bugle{ if it did I missed it} so a history of it would be great. Sorry about the loss of your Dad.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

Ill have to sit down and look through everything so I can fill in some of my gaps....the car is quite a bit older than I am. So much of the history is what I remember being told....my memory of it starts when it showed up at our house on a flatbed truck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We all know IT'S TRUE, (we all have our ideas, and opinions), and such makes the hobby so much fun, FUN IS GOOD!

Hey, I cut up a 41 Limited, I love it, and I DON'T have a single regret for building it my way.

I have never been a fan of kits hanging on the back, but if the owner likes it, then I happy for him.

Dale in Indy