who had in dash air conditioning first ?

PONTIAC1953

Guest bkazmer

I actually appreciate your info on the Pontiac system, so no need to get testy. I interpret "in -dash" as on the passenger compartment side of the firewall/cowl, and "under hood" as stuff on the engine side of the firewall. So an in-dash heater can still have the heater core under the hood, as many do.

As West is well aware, Packard's AC knob was on the dash.

My opinion, which you obviously disagree with, is that the significant advance in AC technology was in the control of air temperature. You know more than I about who did what when in that area. But I don't feel moving the hardware of the same basic system around the car was a big deal. Certainly an easier engineering job than the temp control.

One small advantage of the front and back layout was shown in a car I saw where the lines came up through the floor to cool the little fridge built into the back seat. "Cellerette" option on a 1941 180.

I actually appreciate your info on the Pontiac system, so no need to get testy. I interpret "in -dash" as on the passenger compartment side of the firewall/cowl, and "under hood" as stuff on the engine side of the firewall. So an in-dash heater can still have the heater core under the hood, as many do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what we have is three basic types of configuration.

The first type with the unit in the back.

Two, all major components (except controls and distribution) under the hood.

Three, which most cars today have is blower, ac box, heater box,distribution box all together. Obviously there could never be a truly in dash unit... where would the condenser/compressor/ reciever./drier go inside??? not. The third type above is not only like my daily driver cars , but also like my houses heater/A/C system

Don

----------------------------------------------------------------

One small advantage of the front and back layout was shown in a car I saw where the lines came up through the floor to cool the little fridge built into the back seat. "Cellerette" option on a 1941 180.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One LARGE disadvantage of the system in the back is the loss of cool air for having traveled so far to the dash, and that is why those units are so large to Try to make up for the loss.

There are some new cars which have evaporator units in front and rear, such as Vans and luxury cars like large Infiniti's.

don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)