Crackdown angers classic car owners

stealthbob

This crap is going on in my backyard... :mad:

Crackdown angers classic car owners - Brockville Recorder and Times - Ontario, CA

Another better explained blog:

OMGC Classic Cars Are Not The Root Of Roadside Pollution

Typical misguided overuse of authority.

What is entirely gob smacking about all this is that the new Drive Clean emission test legislation exempts a vehicle from bi-annual tests if it is classified as a ‘hot-rod’ due to the installation of an engine that wasn’t offered by the auto maker for that particular year and model. So if I went out and bought a 1996 Mustang and replaced the original V6 engine with a big block V8 from, say, 1959, I could merrily cruise the roads 365 days a year and pollute to my heart’s content as long as my new power-plant had all the emission controls that it came with in 1959, or in other words, nothing. But if a fuel sipping Mazda Miata owner swapped his or her original air breather for a cold air intake system (which improves combustion and lowers emissions) they’d be subject to a fine from the MOE.

That's one of my fears. Once the gov. gets to big and hungry for money they'll come after our cars as they are an evil presence to the whacko enviromentals. What they don't tell you is that they are driven infrequently and therefore your average vehicle polutes more than we do. Join SEMA and fight the power. -Steve

I thought it was talking about ontario,ca! they both have the same 'laws'. Look, most tickets, fines, etc. for the 'public safety' are taxes! The tax man follows us around in a white and black car to tax us

This wasn't about the "Safety" aspect...just an agenda carried forward but the Enviro nuts.

Old cars represent the "Old way" about pollution so they are easy targets but as the article mentions the reality is this action is just widow dressing and news candy for the MOE. (Ministry Of the Environment).

Just for some background...

This action is taking place in an area where bi-annually, people have to get their emissions tested before getting a renewal or for a sale. Classic cars are exempt, and so is most of the Province. It only covers a band along the St Laurence river dubbed "The Smog Belt". So we have a situation where your neighbor doesn't have to get this possibly expensive testing but you do.

Again..create an illusion of doing something but not actually achieving a dammed thing!

Just remember two popular expressions and you can understand all of this:

"It's like shooting fish in a barrel"

and

"Just follow the money."

Ta da! What do you expect governments to do when they are running deficits, and are scared of special interest groups when thinking of cutting 'entitlements'?

Joe

Archived