Fuel Pressure for 292

Hi all,

First time I've posted on this forum. I have a 292 Y Block of late 50's or early 60's vintage. It's had a marine conversion, a real factory job with dual side-draft Carter carbs, water-cooled exhaust manifolds, reverse rotation, the works. It's an Interceptor conversion.

Anyhow, I think I have a garden-variety Y Block question. What fuel pressure should the 292 have? I have an electric fuel pump of unknown output, and I get seepage out of the throat of the rear carb at idle and slow speeds. It stops once it's at cruising speed, about 2500 to 3000 rpm.

Thanks for any info, and if this question has been asked before, I apologize for not doing a search. Kind of wanted to get acquainted on this forum, even though I don't presently have a vintage Ford.

I like '55 and '56 Fords best, '57 is nice, and 58 Fairlanes are all right by me, too. Then, you'd have to go all the way to '61, which is cool, skip '62 (I had one, 6 cyl., 3 on the tree OD, OK to drive but didn't like the looks.) Same with '63, but '64 was great. I like round taillights, except they missed the boat in '62.:)

The 1957 Ford Car Shop Manual indicates that the mechanical fuel pump pressure to be up to specs should be between 3.5 - 5.5 p.s.i. at 500 rpms. I'm not sure how much that helps you. I personally think you may need a carburetor rebuild. When is the last time the carburetor's were rebuilt?

Anyway, good luck and I hope you figure out what is wrong.

Thanks Birdman, that's just what I needed. I think the carbs are good, it's a boat design thing. The engine sits at a steep angle, even when the boat is level (to give the driveline a straight shot from the fluid coupling to the prop) so the back carb is actually angled DOWN! Any fuel that does not get sucked into the intake just dribbles out. It's had that problem since the carbs were rebuilt (they weren't in working order at all when I got the thing), and there aren't that many hours on them now.

The leakage is really only a problem when starting and idling with the chokes still closed. So, the preferred starting procedure is: start the fuel pump and run until you hear it change pitch when the float bowls are full, shut OFF the pump and start the engine. Leave the pump off until the throttle is opened, then turn it on for cruising. (But FIRST remember to turn on the ventilation fan or you're likely to go boom!) Ah, the joys of an old gasoline inboard.

The 292 is just a really sweet marine engine though. Starts fast, idles smooth at low RPM (very important for docking with a fixed prop), and has lots of guts for getting up on plane, cruising and towing.