Fitting passenger side mirror on '64

Guest Scotsbass

Guest Scotsbass

Hi,

I was wondering what the best option was for a passenger side door mirror - I have a driver's side original remote - but would feel better with something on the other side. Any thoughts on sourcing one and positioning it on the door.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Some of the OE mirrors can be rotated to work on the passenger side. Find a mirror without the remote, rotate it, then sit in the passenger seat and have someone hold it on the door while you look at it. If you space it the same as the mirror on the driver's side, the bar for the vent window will be in your way.

Ed

Guest Lowrider70

Weren't '63 and '64 Rivs manufactured with passenger side door mirrors anyway? Even as an optional extra?? I thought it was only the '65 model that passenger side mirrors was NOT an option. Im not too hot on this subject, but thats why I've heard of '65 Rivi owners getting hold of '63/'64 door mirrors, rotating them and fixing them to their passenger side doors.

But there's no practical point in doing this, if you (as the driver), cannot see behind you, all because part of the vent window is obstructiong your view! In that case, I would imagine the best course of action, would be to buy a pair of (non-remote) matching door mirrors and, mount them further back along the door, in a position where you'll be able to have a clear rear view from both of them...

...please advise me accordingly if Im wrong. :)

Ned.

My 63 had a factory or dealer mounted OEM remote mirror on the passenger side. I thought I had read that the same mirror was designed to be used for both sides. The early 63s like mine had both mirrors mounted back on the door clear of the vent, a lousy location that made it hard to use the driver mirror and impossible to use the passenger. Later cars moved the mirrors toward the front edge of the door which worked better for the driver side but the vent would obscure part of the passenger side. In addition the passenger mirror did not have a magnified glass like modern cars so even if the angle of view worked you would not see much. From an exterior styling point of view the dual mirrors did look great though. Not even sure if the 65 used the same mirror, just FYI.

No where in any of my literature for '63 is there mention of an optional passenger side mirror. I've only seen and heard of driver's side mirrors being rotated to fit. I think that '65 owners use the '63/'64 mirrors because the '65 mirrors are stationary and won't rotate.

My '63 Body manual (not chassis) doesn't even cover mirrors, and the window sticker for my '63 shows the outside rear view mirror as an option (S7). The "Accessories and Options" fold out literature from the dealer shows only mirrors for the passenger side.

Ed

Guest Scotsbass

Hi Everyone,

Thanks all for your help - that was my first post here. I had a look in the manual I have for 1964 and they do have two mirrors mentioned in "accessories"; one being standard which is shown on the driver side with no mention of being able to go on both doors, and the remote version which it states can be moved to either.

OK well, thanks again. I'll let you know how I get on

Keith

Yes you can mount the drivers mirror on the passengers side by rotating the basket that the mirror mechanism mounts in. The way I mounted mine was to make a transfer template out of poster board with the 3 mount holes in it aligned to the edge of the door. I then drilled the passengers door skin for the mirror mounts and the cable. I made a simular template for the location of the interior joystick. The only problem with this method is like mentioned earlier that if you mount the passengers mirror in the identical location to the drivers you can't see it because of the vent window frame. I knew this but wanted to add balance to the car.

Remember that a passengers rearview was an option on many car up until the mid 80's. My boss had an 84 Ford LTD with only the drivers side from the factory and I know I've seen super low buck import Honda's and Nissan's from even later in the 80's with only 1.

Weren't '63 and '64 Rivs manufactured with passenger side door mirrors anyway? Even as an optional extra?? I thought it was only the '65 model that passenger side mirrors was NOT an option.

As hard as it is to even imagine today, in 1963 the DRIVER'S door side view mirror was the option! On a low cost, minimal options car you will find this side mirror not there. It was never ordered from the factory or added as a dealer-installed option.

The driver's side mirror was not required. The passenger side mirror was almost unheard of in '63. Once the vent window was eliminated in '66, it started to make sense to put a mirror on the passenger side. Early examples coming out of Detroit had flat glass over there, though, which is just about useless (because you are so far from the mirror -- your field of view in the mirror is very narrow). It was only with the introduction of convex glass mirror over there that you had a useful mirror.

My point in all this? If you add a mirror to your passenger side, it will probably have flat glass because it was intended to go on the driver's side. Fit a high-quality convex bubble mirror to the flat glass so that you can actually SEE what is around you over there. Get a large convex mirror, like you see the 18-wheelers stick on their flat mirrors, and glue it on the flat glass. If you don't, you will hardly see anything in that mirror and it will hardly be worth the trouble to install it.

Guest Lowrider70

So, as I said in my original reply to this thread, it seems that having a passenger side door mirror on your '63-'65 is pointless then? Well, from a practical point of view anyway, as I get the impression you being in the driver's seat, will not be able to see what's behind you on that side... leaving you not much choice but to wrench your neck right over your shoulder to have a proper look!

Most mirror plates manufactured for cars appear to be flat anyway, but I never knew, that passenger side door mirrors on 1st generation Rivs were actually meant for the passenger's benefit and not the driver's!

So I guess, if you're not bothered about the practicality of it all and just want to even up the look, then you'll just slap on a 'rotated' mirror head and thats it. But what if I (as the driver), wanted to make practical use out of a passenger door mirror and have a proper view out of it? On fitment, I understand it would need to be mounted further down along the door line, so as to clear the obstructing vent window... but how do you think that would look? Would it make the car look a bit odd??

So I guess, if you're not bothered about the practicality of it all and just want to even up the look, then you'll just slap on a 'rotated' mirror head and thats it. But what if I (as the driver), wanted to make practical use out of a passenger door mirror and have a proper view out of it? On fitment, I understand it would need to be mounted further down along the door line, so as to clear the obstructing vent window... but how do you think that would look? Would it make the car look a bit odd??

Further down the door line a tiny bit, toward the back of the car, would look OK. In fact, that is where the driver's side mirror was mounted for much of 1963, but people complained they could not see out of very well up so close, so they moved it forward. You need to have it clear the vent window on the passenger side, too, as that swings out.

Put a round convex bubble mirror over the flat glass mirror if you want it to be useful for the driver.

I have driven a RHD car in the USA and I can not imagine driving a LHD Riviera in England without a mirror on the passenger side. (I have also driven my RHD car on the continent and it was much the same thing.) Don't worry so much about what it looks like to be a bit back from the one on the driver's side. You need it to be able to drive safely.

Guest Lowrider70

Jim, if I do end up fitting a mirror on the passenger's door, I think I'd prefer to have them both aligned and parallel to eachother. So, even by moving both mirror locations, say (for example) 12" further down the door line and clear of the opening vent windows, along with mirror plate angle adjustment you already have... isnt there still no way that you would be able to clearly see behind you, without fitting those convex 'bubble' mirrors?

Without having the convex "bubble" on the passenger window, a flat glass mirror is good for only two things: 1) backing up, and 2) giving the passenger another view for "back seat driving." I drove my '63 as a daily driver for may years using the interstate for commuting; I didn't miss a mirror on the passenger's side.

If you really need to know what's on your right, you could get one of the 'slip over' mirrors that cover the rear view mirror and give you a panoramic view.

Panoramic Rearview Mirror

IMHO, unless you think you really need it, leave it off; your car will look more authentic.

Guest Scotsbass

Gentlemen,

I don't remember mentioning that I actually come from the UK (Edinburgh initially, then London) but actually live in Portland Oregon (which I do) and that is perhaps why I am having a slight "comfort blanket" issue with the passenger door mirror.

Strangely one of the only Left Hand Drive cars I have ever driven in the UK was a '65 (I think) Riviera which had belonged to Conway Twitty. it was for sale in a small garage close to Heathrow Airport about 20 years ago ....yup, it's a funny old world....

On the issue of keeping things authentic with the car, I'm all for it and so would only use original spec parts, as listed in the 1964 Riviera accesories catalogue. I'll post some shots once it's done.

Thanks very much for everyone's input, I hope to be able to contribute to the forum as my first hand knowledge of these fantastic cars grows....

Kind regards

Keith

Guest Lowrider70
Without having the convex "bubble" on the passenger window, a flat glass mirror is good for only two things: 1) backing up, and 2) giving the passenger another view for "back seat driving." I drove my '63 as a daily driver for may years using the interstate for commuting; I didn't miss a mirror on the passenger's side.

If you really need to know what's on your right, you could get one of the 'slip over' mirrors that cover the rear view mirror and give you a panoramic view.

Panoramic Rearview Mirror

IMHO, unless you think you really need it, leave it off; your car will look more authentic.

What you have just said there:

I would say is a good thing to think about and behold. In my opinion, minor or subtle enhancements are fine, but keeping the majority of a classic car's original identity is important and, its what I like doing. So even if I bought a matching pair of door mirrors... ok, maybe slightly different from stock, but nevertheless, still chromed with a classic style... I dont think they would look out of place. Unlike that Panoramic Rearview mirror... unless they do a chrome, classic style version, I dont think it wouldn't look very original!

Besides, I dont use my '65 for regular commuting and, the fundamental reason I'd want to fit a passenger's door mirror, is so that I would be able to use it when backing up and/or parking up near to kerbs... I wouldn't want to damage my wheels now would I?!!

Guest Lowrider70

Ed, Im pleased to hear you were only joking... but you easily fooled me on this one! Yes, it is hard to guage how someone is expressing themselves just with text...<O:p</O:p

...and Im sure you'd be horrified to hear if I did spoil the authentic look of my Riv, by attaching one of those 'slip over' mirrors! :eek:

However, all jokes taken in good spirit here!

:)