Battery went poof!

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I had my first Reatta failure today. When I was going to lunch I went to start the car and all was well until the starter engaged and one of the battery cells opened. Battery is putting out .26 volts!! It was a two year old discount special and when I pulled it out it weighs about half as much as a 6 year old Delco I had stored for hurricane use when the generator is not keeping everybody awake.

Back to my question, This Delco is 6 years old and the last time it was used was for Katrina in 2005, I have charged it twice a year since but do not trust it. Padgett or someone else in Florida what battery do you recommend for a daily use Reatta where it gets very hot under the hood?

Thank's in advance,

Richard

Knowing quite a bit about lead/acid battiers because of boating; 2 things hurt batteries the most:

1. Allowing the battery to be in a discharged state (longer time is worse)

2. Draining and re-charging a battery, usually called cycling (deeper drain and more frequent cycles are worse)

Also, remember, lead/acid batteries slowly discharge when not in use, so "charging twice a year" is, in fact, cycling it.

Guest Richard D

Brent, Could you recommend the proper size and reserve power (amp/hour) for a Reatta? CCA does not mean much in South Florida. What is ironic is the Delco that I abused for inverter power the last 4-5 years is running the car while the 1.5 year old no-name battery the previous owner installed died.

If I had to get a new battery, I would probably just go to Sears for a DieHard. I'm sure people take issues with that brand, but I think their price is somewhat reasonable, and they have decent rebate periods/policies. But, any standard battery that's listed for your Reatta should do fine for a "daily driver", especially if your Reatta starts-up reasonably quick (with not too much cranking time).

Any place that sells batteries, should be able to provide one rated for the vehicle.

I have had good luck with the better brand of battery that Walmart sells. I'm sure others will differ. One reason I buy their battery is the security of knowing I can get it replaced in almost any town if it fails while I'm on the road.

Guest daveagain909

I have bought my batteries at costco. they are good and are the cheapest I have found for the amperage crank rating. , batteries in florida are a problem, you never get the time that they are rated for, this can be good though because you can get a replacement for usually nothing because they never make it past the warrenty period. Since I have changed to costco I have had no problems..

I look for both top and side terminals for maximum usefullness. The last two batteries I bought were Optimas (on sale). Often one of mine will sit for several weeks or a month without being driven. Right now I have a float charger on the Judge.

Do believe that running the engine cool extends battery life, think I bought the one in the blue 88 in 2001.

For a battery that has been sitting for a long time, I have a 30A Vector desulfating charger. My friend Gary who is into golf carts and electric vehicles convinced me. It does seem to revive ded batteries.

Guest WEB 38

Price wise the better walmart is a very good battery. I Have found Interstate batteries have about the longest life expectancy.

I've had to replace both of the batteries in my rivs that I originally purchased at Auto Zone. They lasted only two years due to a dead cell in each. I insisted on a refund instead of a replacement because I was on the road away from home when each failed...they reluctantly did so. Each was replaced with an Interstate and have had no problems since. I hook them to battery tricklers while the rivs are in storage from Nov to Apr....no problems...start right up.

I'm with Padgett on this one. Optima is the best battery you can buy, though the price reflects this. Generally $120-150 most places, I have red tops in both my cars and I swear by them. Batteries plus sells them, and many better auto parts stores do as well.

Also, try to get one with both side and top posts - much easier to hookup jumper cables to the top posts if you have to jump somebody's "discount" battery.

KDirk

Guest Richard D

Thank You all for your time and advice. I talked to the guy at Sears who does nothing but test and replace batteries here in Miami and he too recommended an Optima, or for $80.00 a Diehard which can be made by Exide or another company. I will get an Optima.

Regards,

Richard

Guest Richard D

Thank You Padgett, that will come in handy, more than a half tank of gas! Or an oil pressure sender.

Regards,

Richard

Guest Ragtop

One thing to remember, when in storage you must disconnect the battery. It only uses a trickle of juice, but doesn't take long for the charge to maintain your computers to run the battery down

Guest Richard D
One thing to remember, when in storage you must disconnect the battery. It only uses a trickle of juice, but doesn't take long for the charge to maintain your computers to run the battery down

Thank's, I have two battery trickle chargers to maintain batteries. One is solar powered I use for a small plane the other a plug in type for automobiles.