Skylark -68 convertible

Guest jtallqvi

Guest jtallqvi

I'm considering buying a -68 Skylark convertible. :)

How can I verify if the engine in the car is orginal size/type?

Does anyone know if there any external signs on the car that are specific for a certain engine (so that I could perhaps that way verify what the original engine has been)?

I appriciate all advices.

Two engines were available for the 68 Skylark custom convertible. One is listed as a V6, which I have never seen. That's easy enough to determine, count the spark plug wires.

More then likely it's the 350 cubic inch V8 with either a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carberator. The new for 1967 V8 family used squared off valve covers and I believe the engine paint was RED.

I do not have a numbers book. But this should get you started.

Guest jtallqvi

But how would I know if someone has changed the V6 to a V8?

Is there anything that is specific for a V6 or V8 car, from where you can recoqnize what engine there has been originally in the car, even if it was changed later?

I'm asking because it is important to me to find an as original car as possible.

From the Standard Catalog of Buick:

In 68 the six would have been an inline six, and the six would have been available in two models, the Special Deluxe (43300 series) and the Skylark (43500 series) . Note that the 350 V8 was also available in the Special Deluxe as an option.

The Special Deluxe Wagon (43400 series) and Skylark Custom (44400 series) would have had the 350 V8.

The first 3 numbers in the VIN ID indicate the model. Basically just drop the two 0's in each model above. For example, the Vin ID on the Special Deluxe would start with 433.

One thing of note: There was a GS 350 available that year, and the Catalog says it is a trim package of the 43400 series, which means the Special Deluxe Wagon and the GS 350 share model identification numbers. Sounds pretty odd to me but I assume they are right.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the base 6 cyl offered was a Chevy inline 6. I believe the only way to know which engine the car was built with, is to have either the original Protecto Plate or the build sheet for the car. On the Protecto Plate should be the 2 digit engine code which will decode to the engine your 68 had when it left the factory. I'm pretty sure that code is on my plate, which should be found attached inside one of the factory manuals, perhaps the warranty booklet? I don't recall for sure.

However, the front of the engine block should also be stamped with the last several digits of your VIN, which would match your dash VIN plate if original. The Buick 350 will have a front mounted distributor, a "350" cast into the housing behind the intake manifold, and 6 valve cover bolts. The 2 digit engine code is stamped in the flat area in between the 1 and 3 spark plugs.

Also, the GS350 model # is 43437.