IPC/Inverter Testing

Guest The Goggi

Guest The Goggi

Hi all,

I have viewed this forum for some time and have gotten a plethora (yes a plethora) of info ... though this is the first ? that I have not gotten answered completely from reviewing previous posts.

Stats:

89 grey/red

I get the full "light show" except for the flourescent part (speedo, gas, etc) all other lights are functioning (brake, check engine, oil, etc)

I have agotten a "presumed good" replacement with the same prob.

I noticed a couple IPCs on Ebay lighted outside the dash but I can not ascertain which pins are for the power to light it up. I would also like to check for power at the pins in the dash to make sure the inverter is not the problem. Are some lights 12V and others 120V ... I have heard mentioned 7V somewhere in the equation. Help?:confused:

Guest The Goggi
Some of your questions will be answered by clicking here and reading some of the instructions/tutorials.

Got lots of good info from the site, but the one thing I can figure out is how to check the IPC by powering it up like I have seen in Ebay pics. Seems a simple thing to do, I just don't want to add juice to the wrong thing and fry something else.

Any ideas anyone?

The IPC is powered by the 7 volt "clean" power supply. Don't hook up 12 volts to it.

If you have a service manual (and you really really should) you can find which pin gets what.

There's a free online scanned copy of the service manual(s) and the complete parts catalog at Reatta Data Page You'll need to register, but like I said, it's free.

Guest The Goggi

I still can't figure the pin outs for the IPC to test if it is working. Does anyone know which pins are the 7V, 12V, 110V and grounds for each?

Mine is out and the replacement that I got was supposed to be good and it is the same. I would like to power it up externally before I spend money on getting another replacement that I may not even need.

If I do need a replacement, does anyone have a verified good one they would be willing to sell.

I am using the speedo from the diagnostics screen on the CRT and hoping that I don't run out of gas.

Edited by The Goggi
error (see edit history)

Guest The Goggi

I've looked at the website and all makes sense, but What I am asking is ...

On the back of the IPC once removed is the plug. I have seen many IPCs on Ebay that are lit up completely and are not installed in a car ... How is this done. It seems like an easy way to just see if it powers up at all before I try to find another.

This inverter in the site ... where is it located because I will test it also.

This is a daily driver that I depend on, so I try to have a good idea what I am doing before I do it.

I've looked at the website and all makes sense, but What I am asking is ...

Actually your question was:

I still can't figure the pin outs for the IPC to test if it is working. Does anyone know which pins are the 7V, 12V, 110V and grounds for each?
By providing the link to my website I tried to answer the question.
On the back of the IPC once removed is the plug. I have seen many IPCs on Ebay that are lit up completely and are not installed in a car ... How is this done. It seems like an easy way to just see if it powers up at all before I try to find another.

This inverter in the site ... where is it located because I will test it also.

Someone else here will be better able to answer about bench testing the IPC.

I have not removed the inverter but the FSM shows it under the dash, above the parking brake pedal.

Guest The Goggi

I was not trying to be difficult. I should have said that my new question in addition to the inverter question was ...

I very much appreciate your input and will absolutely use the info the website, but after reviewing the question I modified the inquiry to an additional question without being clear.

I hope I did not sound ungreatful, that was far from my intent.

I was not trying to be difficult. I should have said that my new question in addition to the inverter question was ...

I very much appreciate your input and will absolutely use the info the website, but after reviewing the question I modified the inquiry to an additional question without being clear.

I hope I did not sound ungreatful, that was far from my intent.

No problem. I just wanted to clarify what question I thought you were asking.